Achtung Baby vs. Ok Computer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mogi

The Fly
I know there was a thread similar to this a few weeks ago (comparing albums), but since there was a new thread recently about Q´s 100 best albums of all time, I thought it would be nice to compare what I consider the two essential albums of the last 20 years.
These are my two favorite bands (U2 first!!), but it bothers me sometimes that critics fall all over themselves about OK Computer, but not as much about AB.
Anyway, here is my comparison:

1. Zoo Station > Airbag
Airbag is such a great song, but Zoo Station is pure statement and of course that awesome guitar riff at the beginning.

2. EBTTRT<Paranoid Android
Both great songs and EBTTRT grooves so well, but Paranoid Android is pure genius.

3. One>Subterranian Homesick Alien
Actually more difficult than it seems to pick One. But One is One, isn´t it?

4. UTEOTW>Exit Music
UTEOTW is intense. Actually I think this is one of U2´s most stellar moments.

5.WGTRYWH<Let Down
Let Down almost brings me to tears everytime I hear it. But the mid-8 of WGTRYWH is one of the best I´ve ever heard.

6. So Cruel< Karma Police
It is "so cruel" to have to say this, but Karma Police is one of the best songs I´ve ever heard. But, aghhh it was close!!

7. The Fly>Fitter Happier
Do I really need to explain myself on this one?

8. Mysterious Ways>Electioneering
Electioneering is pretty much a marginal song that adds nothing special to the album.

9. TTTYAATW<Climbing up the Walls
Climbing of the Walls is one of the creepiest and most atmospheric songs I´ve ever heard. Just love it!!

10. Ultraviolet>No Surprises
This is a very close one too since I think these are decent but not great songs. I just think Ultraviolet has more juice to it, even with the "baby, baby, baby".

11. Acrobat>Lucky
Acrobat is INCREDIBLE!!!!! Lucky is good, but nothing special.

12. Love is Blindness>The Tourist
Both are great slow and smokey songs to end the album, but Love is Blindness is just beautiful and dripping with atmosphere.

AB-8
OK Computer-4

I think that U2 does not get enough credit for being just as forward thinking as Radiohead with their sound and vision. Remember that AB also spawned ZOO TV, which was unprecedented and set the standards of touring today.

As a whole listening experience...

Ok Computer by far :drool: :shocked: :heart: :rockon: :crack:

You simply can´t take Ok Computer as 12 different songs, it´s much more than that, is A WHOLE ALBUM :applaud:

... we hope that you choke...

I respect your opinions because OK Computer is truly a work of art ---- in MY opinion.... BUT, I think it's the other way around for me. I can't listen to OK at one sitting - just not that personal (or human) to me. AB is a different type of art that is more literal.
U2's my group!! Good subject!

Achtung Baby and Ok Computer are also my two favourite albums!
I think I prefer Airbag to Zoo Station but apart from that I agree with you 100 percent, Mogi :up:

Yeah, the Airbag vs. Zoo Station was a tough one too. But I guess it´s sentimental (Zoo) because I will never forget standing in line at midnight to buy AB and hearing the thrust of Edge´s opening guitar for Zoo. It sounded like a jet flew over and everyone´s jaw just dropped. Ahhh, what a moment!!

Mogi said:

These are my two favorite bands (U2 first!!), but it bothers me sometimes that critics fall all over themselves about OK Computer, but not as much about AB.

I find this frustrating, too. U2 are always way down the line for all kinds of critics' lists. I'm not sure why. Perhaps they're not viewed as being as technically gifted as bands such as Radiohead. I love them both for similar reasons: they create soundscapes and moods no other band are capable of, or at least very few of them are. The Arcade Fire are moving up the ranks.

I also think that the weirdness of Zoo Tv and Zooropa must have had an influence on Radiohead, and it probably pushed them to go the extra mile with their own sound, instead of copying it.

I'd seriously have to rank both Ok Computer and AB as equals, as each is equally brilliant.

1. Zoo Station > Airbag
Airbag is such a great song, but Zoo Station is pure statement and of course that awesome guitar riff at the beginning.

:up:

GibsonGirl has an excellent take on Zoo..

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150819&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

Achtung Baby slaughters OK Computer. It's not as if OK Computer is really that great anyway and I don't understand why it's so highly rated. Electioneering is a good song, but otherwise, the album's unremarkable.

Axver said:
Achtung Baby slaughters OK Computer. It's not as if OK Computer is really that great anyway and I don't understand why it's so highly rated. Electioneering is a good song, but otherwise, the album's unremarkable.

Paranoid Android
Exit Music
Let Down
Karma Police
Climbing Up The Walls
No Surprises
Lucky

Chilling.

Axver said:

IMO Electioneering is the worst song on OK barring Fitter Happier which was an interesting idea that didn't quite come off. In my view Electioneering is just an unadventurous song and not up to most of the rest of the album.

OK Computer is excellent - but nevertheless I prefer Achtung.

I'm an U2 diehard and a casual Radiohead fan... OK Computer is great but overrated IMO, I prefer The Bends...

So Achtung it is, no contest...

Although Paranoid Android, Karma Police and Climbing up the walls... :drool:

Axver said:

yes of course, "i don't understand" pretty much explains everything here doesn't it?

you don't get it.

but that's alright, we're at a u2 forum anyway.

Oh dear Lord. It's as though Achtung Baby and OK Computer are my two children and you're forcing me to decide which one I prefer over the other. I can't choose, really, I can't. They're both near perfection. Maybe I'll try rating both albums by averages, but I emphasise, I consider them just about equal.

ACHTUNG BABY

Zoo Station [4.9]
Even Better Than The Real Thing [4.0]
One [4.0]
Until The End Of The World [5.0]
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses [3.5]
So Cruel [2.5]
The Fly [5.0]
Mysterious Ways [4.0]
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World [2.0]
Ultraviolet (Light My Way) [4.0]
Acrobat [4.5]
Love Is Blindness [4.5]

AVG: 4.00

OK COMPUTER

Airbag [4.0]
Paranoid Android [5.0]
Subterranean Homesick Alien [4.9]
Exit Music [4.0]
Let Down [5.0]
Karma Police [4.5]
Fitter Happier [2.0]
Electioneering [3.0]
Climbing Up The Walls [4.5]
No Surprises [4.0]
Lucky [3.9]
The Tourist [4.0]

AVG: 4.06

Just about the same, really.

This is a tough choice.. seeing that OK Computer was my first Radiohead album which got me to go out and buy the rest of their albums (personally love The Bends more than OK..) ...

and Achtung Baby was the album that got me utterly obsessed with U2.
But I think Achtung has more of a 'deeper' meaning to me, so I'll have to go with Achtung Baby.

Mogi said:
I know there was a thread similar to this a few weeks ago (comparing albums), but since there was a new thread recently about Q´s 100 best albums of all time, I thought it would be nice to compare what I consider the two essential albums of the last 20 years.
Anyway, here is my comparison:

1. Zoo Station > Airbag

2. EBTTRT<Paranoid Android
Both great songs and EBTTRT grooves so well, but Paranoid Android is pure genius.

3. One>Subterranian Homesick Alien
Actually more difficult than it seems to pick One. But One is One, isn´t it?

4. UTEOTW>Exit Music
UTEOTW is intense. Actually I think this is one of U2´s most stellar moments.

5.WGTRYWH<Let Down
Let Down almost brings me to tears everytime I hear it. But the mid-8 of WGTRYWH is one of the best I´ve ever heard.

6. So Cruel< Karma Police
It is "so cruel" to have to say this, but Karma Police is one of the best songs I´ve ever heard. But, aghhh it was close!!

7. The Fly>Fitter Happier
Do I really need to explain myself on this one?

8. Mysterious Ways>Electioneering
Electioneering is pretty much a marginal song that adds nothing special to the album.

9. TTTYAATW<Climbing up the Walls
Climbing of the Walls is one of the creepiest and most atmospheric songs I´ve ever heard. Just love it!!

10. Ultraviolet>No Surprises
This is a very close one too since I think these are decent but not great songs. I just think Ultraviolet has more juice to it, even with the "baby, baby, baby".

11. Acrobat>Lucky
Acrobat is INCREDIBLE!!!!! Lucky is good, but nothing special.

12. Love is Blindness>The Tourist
Both are great slow and smokey songs to end the album, but Love is Blindness is just beautiful and dripping with atmosphere.

AB-8
OK Computer-4

I think that U2 does not get enough credit for being just as forward thinking as Radiohead with their sound and vision. Remember that AB also spawned ZOO TV, which was unprecedented and set the standards of touring today.

Holy crap, I agree with that entire post. Seriously. I'd rate all the songs the same as you did. Both great albums, but Achtung takes the cake.

Of course, as far as I'm concerned, The Bends is better than OK Computer and Kid A is Radiohead's best album ever (granted I've yet to hear Pablo Honey or Hail to the Thief). Achtung is arguably U2's best album though I definitely prefer Pop. Comparing Kid A to Pop would be hard though. I think Kid A to Zooropa would be a better comparison as I think they're both the most "out there" either band has been (although I guess you could count Passengers). If I did that...

Zooropa > Everything In Its Right Place
If it were any other song, Everything... would win. But Zooropa is amazing.

Babyface < Kid A
Kid A is so beautifully strange. Babyface is good and underrated but ultimately nothing special, just a nice little pop song.

Numb < The National Anthem
I love Numb, but The National Anthem has a groove, man. There's no messing with that rhythm section.

Lemon > How to Disappear Completely
Incredibly hard choice because How to Disappear is so beautiful, but I gotta go with the more bizarre Lemon.

Stay > Treefingers
Well, duh.

Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car < Optimistic
Daddy's is badass but Optimistic is a far, far better song. And, hey, it actually has guitar - a rarity for both albums. The last 20 seconds of Optimistic alone make the song worth it.

Some Days Are Better Than Others < In Limbo
Again, In Limbo is just a better song. No competition here.

The First Time < Idioteque
The First Time is a beautiful ballad, but Idioteque is the best song on the album, hands down.

Dirty Day > Morning Bell
Okay, this is kind of unfair because I think of the superior live versions with Dirty Day though I've never heard any live Radiohead songs. This one is actually very, very close. But Dirty Day's lyrics are to die for :drool:

The Wanderer < Motion Picture Soundtrack
This one is also very close, but something about the chord change and the way Yorke sings "I think you're crazy...maybe..." gets me everytime.

So that's U2 4, Radiohead 6. I'd also say that Kid A is stronger as a whole album than Zooropa though both are very, very good as albums.

I hate comparing 2 brilliant albums, but Im going to have to go with Achtung Baby. The reason I suppose is because there is not a song I would skip on Achtung Baby, but on Ok Computer I always skip "Fitter Happier" and sometimes "Electioneering". These albums are not overated.

OK Computer beats the crap out of Achtung Baby, and this is coming from a guy that thinks Achtung Baby is U2's best.

Last edited:
I do not like Radiohead and I think OK Computer is extremely overated. I have all of their albums but I would rather stick a knife in my eye than listen to them.

Zoomerang96 said:

yes of course, "i don't understand" pretty much explains everything here doesn't it?

you don't get it.

but that's alright, we're at a u2 forum anyway.

Oh, you're going to play the stupid "you don't 'get' the music" card? Oh, I 'get' it alright, and at times, I even enjoy listening to Radiohead's music, but I can't handle Thom Yorke's voice for more than about ten minutes. And frankly, there's a difference between doing new and inventive things with music and just sticking a fork up your arse, twisting it a few times, and claiming it's experimental music. Radiohead have done both.

If you ask me, there's significantly better music than Radiohead out there.

I think Radiohead are one of the most overrated bands in history. The way people fawn over them is amzing. OK Computer, Kid A and The Bends are all good albums, but the kind of slavering that they induce seems bizarre to me.

Back
Top Bottom