Achtung Baby vs. Ok Computer - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2006, 05:13 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:37 AM
Oh dear Lord. It's as though Achtung Baby and OK Computer are my two children and you're forcing me to decide which one I prefer over the other. I can't choose, really, I can't. They're both near perfection. Maybe I'll try rating both albums by averages, but I emphasise, I consider them just about equal.

ACHTUNG BABY

Zoo Station [4.9]
Even Better Than The Real Thing [4.0]
One [4.0]
Until The End Of The World [5.0]
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses [3.5]
So Cruel [2.5]
The Fly [5.0]
Mysterious Ways [4.0]
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World [2.0]
Ultraviolet (Light My Way) [4.0]
Acrobat [4.5]
Love Is Blindness [4.5]

AVG: 4.00

OK COMPUTER

Airbag [4.0]
Paranoid Android [5.0]
Subterranean Homesick Alien [4.9]
Exit Music [4.0]
Let Down [5.0]
Karma Police [4.5]
Fitter Happier [2.0]
Electioneering [3.0]
Climbing Up The Walls [4.5]
No Surprises [4.0]
Lucky [3.9]
The Tourist [4.0]

AVG: 4.06

Just about the same, really.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:38 PM   #22
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:37 AM
This is a tough choice.. seeing that OK Computer was my first Radiohead album which got me to go out and buy the rest of their albums (personally love The Bends more than OK..) ...

and Achtung Baby was the album that got me utterly obsessed with U2.
But I think Achtung has more of a 'deeper' meaning to me, so I'll have to go with Achtung Baby.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:58 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Achtung Baby vs. Ok Computer

Quote:
Originally posted by Mogi
I know there was a thread similar to this a few weeks ago (comparing albums), but since there was a new thread recently about Q´s 100 best albums of all time, I thought it would be nice to compare what I consider the two essential albums of the last 20 years.
These are my two favorite bands (U2 first!!), but it bothers me sometimes that critics fall all over themselves about OK Computer, but not as much about AB.
Anyway, here is my comparison:

1. Zoo Station > Airbag
Airbag is such a great song, but Zoo Station is pure statement and of course that awesome guitar riff at the beginning.

2. EBTTRT<Paranoid Android
Both great songs and EBTTRT grooves so well, but Paranoid Android is pure genius.

3. One>Subterranian Homesick Alien
Actually more difficult than it seems to pick One. But One is One, isn´t it?

4. UTEOTW>Exit Music
UTEOTW is intense. Actually I think this is one of U2´s most stellar moments.

5.WGTRYWH<Let Down
Let Down almost brings me to tears everytime I hear it. But the mid-8 of WGTRYWH is one of the best I´ve ever heard.

6. So Cruel< Karma Police
It is "so cruel" to have to say this, but Karma Police is one of the best songs I´ve ever heard. But, aghhh it was close!!

7. The Fly>Fitter Happier
Do I really need to explain myself on this one?

8. Mysterious Ways>Electioneering
Electioneering is pretty much a marginal song that adds nothing special to the album.

9. TTTYAATW<Climbing up the Walls
Climbing of the Walls is one of the creepiest and most atmospheric songs I´ve ever heard. Just love it!!

10. Ultraviolet>No Surprises
This is a very close one too since I think these are decent but not great songs. I just think Ultraviolet has more juice to it, even with the "baby, baby, baby".

11. Acrobat>Lucky
Acrobat is INCREDIBLE!!!!! Lucky is good, but nothing special.

12. Love is Blindness>The Tourist
Both are great slow and smokey songs to end the album, but Love is Blindness is just beautiful and dripping with atmosphere.

AB-8
OK Computer-4

I think that U2 does not get enough credit for being just as forward thinking as Radiohead with their sound and vision. Remember that AB also spawned ZOO TV, which was unprecedented and set the standards of touring today.
Holy crap, I agree with that entire post. Seriously. I'd rate all the songs the same as you did. Both great albums, but Achtung takes the cake.

Of course, as far as I'm concerned, The Bends is better than OK Computer and Kid A is Radiohead's best album ever (granted I've yet to hear Pablo Honey or Hail to the Thief). Achtung is arguably U2's best album though I definitely prefer Pop. Comparing Kid A to Pop would be hard though. I think Kid A to Zooropa would be a better comparison as I think they're both the most "out there" either band has been (although I guess you could count Passengers). If I did that...

Zooropa > Everything In Its Right Place
If it were any other song, Everything... would win. But Zooropa is amazing.

Babyface < Kid A
Kid A is so beautifully strange. Babyface is good and underrated but ultimately nothing special, just a nice little pop song.

Numb < The National Anthem
I love Numb, but The National Anthem has a groove, man. There's no messing with that rhythm section.

Lemon > How to Disappear Completely
Incredibly hard choice because How to Disappear is so beautiful, but I gotta go with the more bizarre Lemon.

Stay > Treefingers
Well, duh.

Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car < Optimistic
Daddy's is badass but Optimistic is a far, far better song. And, hey, it actually has guitar - a rarity for both albums. The last 20 seconds of Optimistic alone make the song worth it.

Some Days Are Better Than Others < In Limbo
Again, In Limbo is just a better song. No competition here.

The First Time < Idioteque
The First Time is a beautiful ballad, but Idioteque is the best song on the album, hands down.

Dirty Day > Morning Bell
Okay, this is kind of unfair because I think of the superior live versions with Dirty Day though I've never heard any live Radiohead songs. This one is actually very, very close. But Dirty Day's lyrics are to die for

The Wanderer < Motion Picture Soundtrack
This one is also very close, but something about the chord change and the way Yorke sings "I think you're crazy...maybe..." gets me everytime.

So that's U2 4, Radiohead 6. I'd also say that Kid A is stronger as a whole album than Zooropa though both are very, very good as albums.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:26 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 08:37 AM
I hate comparing 2 brilliant albums, but Im going to have to go with Achtung Baby. The reason I suppose is because there is not a song I would skip on Achtung Baby, but on Ok Computer I always skip "Fitter Happier" and sometimes "Electioneering". These albums are not overated.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:48 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

OK Computer beats the crap out of Achtung Baby, and this is coming from a guy that thinks Achtung Baby is U2's best.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:22 PM   #26
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:37 AM
I do not like Radiohead and I think OK Computer is extremely overated. I have all of their albums but I would rather stick a knife in my eye than listen to them.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:26 PM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by gherman
I have all of their albums but I would rather stick a knife in my eye than listen to them.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:31 PM   #28
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

yes of course, "i don't understand" pretty much explains everything here doesn't it?

you don't get it.

but that's alright, we're at a u2 forum anyway.
Oh, you're going to play the stupid "you don't 'get' the music" card? Oh, I 'get' it alright, and at times, I even enjoy listening to Radiohead's music, but I can't handle Thom Yorke's voice for more than about ten minutes. And frankly, there's a difference between doing new and inventive things with music and just sticking a fork up your arse, twisting it a few times, and claiming it's experimental music. Radiohead have done both.

If you ask me, there's significantly better music than Radiohead out there.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-01-2006, 08:49 PM   #29
Refugee

I think Radiohead are one of the most overrated bands in history. The way people fawn over them is amzing. OK Computer, Kid A and The Bends are all good albums, but the kind of slavering that they induce seems bizarre to me.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:26 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

I fail to see how Radiohead are overrated. But anyway.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:31 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by thelaj
I think Radiohead are one of the most overrated bands in history. The way people fawn over them is amzing. OK Computer, Kid A and The Bends are all good albums, but the kind of slavering that they induce seems bizarre to me.

well said
Old 01-01-2006, 09:43 PM   #32
Refugee

Ok Computer is painful to listen to.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:44 PM   #33
War Child

I don't think they are two albums to compare song-song

I will vote for achtung baby here, but I think the way things are graded, OK computer gets treated unfairly
Old 01-01-2006, 09:59 PM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:37 AM
Yeah, I don't like doing that lateral song by song comparison! Cos say.. track 2 from album 1 may not be as good as track 2 from album 2 but album 1 may have a better overall feel! And how do you justify not comparing track 2 from here to track 5 from there? It makes no sense!

Anyway, it's Achtung Baby for me even though I love Ok Computer to death!
Old 01-01-2006, 10:08 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

OKC is one of the records that I think is really, REALLY fucking brilliant, but that for some reason I don't listen to that much. I listen to AB all the time. I don't really want to choose.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:33 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Oh, you're going to play the stupid "you don't 'get' the music" card? Oh, I 'get' it alright, and at times, I even enjoy listening to Radiohead's music, but I can't handle Thom Yorke's voice for more than about ten minutes. And frankly, there's a difference between doing new and inventive things with music and just sticking a fork up your arse, twisting it a few times, and claiming it's experimental music. Radiohead have done both.

If you ask me, there's significantly better music than Radiohead out there.
i was only saying what you already said.

as for your last comment about there being better music than radiohead, you're more than likely right.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:30 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:37 AM
Re: Re: Achtung Baby vs. Ok Computer

Quote:
Originally posted by ponkine
As a whole listening experience...

Ok Computer by far

You simply can´t take Ok Computer as 12 different songs, it´s much more than that, is A WHOLE ALBUM

... we hope that you choke...

Yes, it's a whole album of utter crap!

I tried, and tried, and tried and tried again to get into that album. In '97 when everyone was ranting and raving over it, while my interest in Radiohead and waned considerably, I ran out and bought it. What a waste of $$. But it's Radiohead and critics and fans here loved it, so I gave it my best.

However, after 8 years, I can honestly say that I feel most of Radiohead's recent work, including "O.K. Computer" is amongst the most uninspired drip I've had the displeasure of hearing. Sadly, I continue to buy their material hoping they'll find a spark of what made them somewhat interesting years ago.

Bottom line, "O.K. Computer" shouldn't even be in the same poll as AB, let alone ranked above it.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:53 AM   #38
Refugee

OK comp is a nice album, but AB is much more better and has the perfect flow. i also think that radiohead is a bit overrated. their best album imo is 'the bends'
Old 01-02-2006, 03:17 AM   #39
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

i was only saying what you already said.
You've successfully both twisted my words and dodged my argument. Well done!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-02-2006, 03:28 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:37 PM
Achtung. There are parts of OK that lose me, specifically toward the end. I also prefer the "vibe" and maturity of Achtung, but this may have a lot to do with the stage at which each band recorded the album.

OK Computer vs Joshua Tree IMO would be a far more valid (and interesting) comparison. But for the love of God, somone please don't make the thread!