Achtung Baby(I Decree)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:
If the human race ever became extinct on this planet and it was invaded by an army of space monkeys, Achtung Baby is the album that I would hope they find and have the pleasure of listening to.

:lol:

I would rather them find a Spice Girls record because that'd be far more amusing.

AtomicBono said:

If I burned Ultraviolet on to a CD and delcared it an album, would it also be the best album ever??

Yeah, but you'd have to put it on there about 12 times. That way it's more like an LP than a single.

inmyplace13 said:

Yeah, but you'd have to put it on there about 12 times. That way it's more like an LP than a single.

Okay, good point. But I don't know if it's really complete without Acrobat and Love is Blindness, so I'll just put the Holy Trilogy on there four times. Fair? :D

Zoo Station, The Fly :rockon:
Even Better Than The Real Thing :cool:
One :heart:
Until the end of the world :drool:
WGRYWH ;)
So Cruel :madspit:
Mysterious Ways :dance:
Arms around the world, Acrobat :love:
Ultraviolet :hug:
Love is Blindness :scratch:

I'm a huge fan of U2s entire catalogue. I listen to every album, on a fairly regular rotation, and love it all.

But I have to agree that Achtung is the most interesting, and thought provoking album ever created by U2, and by any artist I've heard in my life. There are so many things to love about Achtung! (Industrial sound, beautiful melodies, AMAZING lyrics, Dancy upbeat songs, and painful heart-breaking songs)

In my mind, Achtung is the definition of U2.

Best album evar!

inmyplace13 said:

Well, okay, you talked me into it. You're my Inteference wife.

Haha. Is this even legal? :wink:

In all seriousness, I worship AB. :bow: While others here are saying it's one that it took some time for them to get into, this one hit me right over the head the first time I listened to it. I was 14, it was late spring, and I was listening to it in the dark on my walkman. I wouldn't really appreciate the "deepness" of it until a few years later, but I knew then that the entire thing was a work of pure genius. Also, seeing it brought to life during Zoo TV is something I will never, ever, forget. :drool:

namkcuR, I think this is the first thing you've done that makes complete sense. Stay away from those what-this-album-could-have-been threads.
:wink:

But yeah Achtung is my favourite album, End of the World, the Fly...the list goes on and on :drool:

Achtung absolutely is there best IMHO. I saw them 6 times on ZOO TV and it was just unbelievable. Everyone talks about how great UTEOTW, ZOO STATION, THE FLY, and all the rest but ULTRAVIOLET was the show stopper on that tour, the song rocks out anyway but the way they performed it with the lighting was fantastic - that's the song I wish they would consider putting back into the setlist.

YBORCITYOBL said:
Achtung absolutely is there best IMHO. I saw them 6 times on ZOO TV and it was just unbelievable. Everyone talks about how great UTEOTW, ZOO STATION, THE FLY, and all the rest but ULTRAVIOLET was the show stopper on that tour, the song rocks out anyway but the way they performed it with the lighting was fantastic - that's the song I wish they would consider putting back into the setlist.

Couldn't agree more. Screw Acrobat! I want to hear Ultraviolet!!:drool:

Lancemc said:

Couldn't agree more. Screw Acrobat! I want to hear Ultraviolet!!:drool:

I remember Ultraviolet getting crucified at the time of AB's release for being too pop. People used to get up in arms about all those 'Baby, Baby, Baby's' in the chorus. Very reminiscent of today's HTDAAB criticisms.

You make a very good point. I think the "Baby baby baby's.." are just the very last thing which makes this song so bitter sweet to listen to. Most people point out Wild Horses as the more "classic" U2 song on Achtung Baby, but if you strip away some of the synth and the creepy intro, Ultraviolet could have come straight off the Unforgettable Fire or Joshua Tree. It's U2 at their best.

Layton said:

I remember Ultraviolet getting crucified at the time of AB's release for being too pop. People used to get up in arms about all those 'Baby, Baby, Baby's' in the chorus. Very reminiscent of today's HTDAAB criticisms.

I remember that, I read how Eno and Lanois so hated that part of the song (Baby,Baby....). U2 used to have a list of words and phrases that were over used in the songwriting world and would never use them. So the story goes that Edge and Bono were in such contrary moods you know to "shake things up and change their sound" that they purposely wrote that into the song.

This song was unbelievable live though.

Lancemc said:
You make a very good point. I think the "Baby baby baby's.." are just the very last thing which makes this song so bitter sweet to listen to. Most people point out Wild Horses as the more "classic" U2 song on Achtung Baby, but if you strip away some of the synth and the creepy intro, Ultraviolet could have come straight off the Unforgettable Fire or Joshua Tree. It's U2 at their best.

That is an excellent observation, I never really heard it like that but now thinking about it, that's very true.

ZeroDude said:

lowest of the low yes you bro...ooh i made it rhyme:wink:

ummm that was me...yeh i forgot to log out of my bros account:scratch:

Back
Top Bottom