Achtung Baby First Listen! Yeah!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tintin

The Fly
Achtung Baby first listen.
What do these silly previews mean?

Zoo Station
Opens with an insistent distorted line, before a fuzzed out Bono breaks in. The industrial elements are similar to The Fly, though this is much more of a pop song. And it happily opens the album with lines like, “I’m ready for what’s next.”

Even Better Than the Real Thing
Edge discovers the groove...until the song actually starts when a jilting rhythm guitar takes over. A very sexual song, that never really solidifies into a memorable tune. At one point its simplistic chorus dissolves into a pleasant slide guitar solo. It does seem a bit over-produced.

One
A ballad, with a subdued blues riff from the Edge. Larry and Adam exercise adequate restraint, while Bono rasps about the need for unity in the face of division. Quite an emotional affair, though lacking in the breathtaking widescreen element found on songs like With or Without You. The lighters will be out on tour for this one.

Until the End of the World.
Ushered in by a strange howling noise, this is the one of the albums more dramatic moments. The alternatively rhythmic and soaring base lets Bono growl through the verses. Where’s the chorus? Maybe we’ll find out...at the end of the world.

Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Once again we find strange noises and distorted guitars, but this is the album’s big pop tune. A lovesick Bono contemplates, “Well, you left my heart empty as a vacant lot/ for any spirit to haunt.” A classic U2 chorus, and, near the end, a surprising dip into a minor key. Radio will love this one.

So Cruel
One of the albums weaker moments. A clumsy beat backs some rudimentary piano playing. It has a tortured lyric which seems at odds with what is essentially a simple happy song. It does get better as it goes on though.

The Fly
You’ve all heard this one by now: U2 do postmodern-dirtbag funk with sinister vocals and a falsetto chorus. Surprisingly, the Edge does on an extended solo. They certainly seem to be enjoying themselves, letting fans struggle with whether this is really what U2 does best. A stellar song, though.

Mysterious Ways
U2 keep the funk up, this time mimicking the style of the Madchester scene. The Edge adds spartan touches of a fuzzy funk while Larry and Adam provide a pounding groove on which Bono delivers his wailing.

Tryin’ to Throw Your Arms Around the World
After the scope of the album thus far, this song feels a little out of place. Probably could have been a b-side.

Ultraviolet
An epic start which has Bono declaring that he ‘wants to get it wrong,’ before a jangly riff comes in. A decent song, that saves itself just before it loses you.

Acrobat
One of the most confessional songs on the album with lines like, “And I must be an acrobat/ to talk like this and act like that.” Edge delivers some dark, chiming guitar lines and Bono tells us not to let the bastards drag us down.

Love is Blindness
An organ plays a slow arpeggio, before a clinking groove starts. A melancholy finish, but one that seems a little unfinished.

Disclaimer: I’m just imagining what a review

-Zoo Station is the anti-pop song

-One, not as good as WOWY..mmm..i'd say there eqaully moving

-UTEOTW doesn't need a chorus, it rocks! lol

-SO Cruel the albums weak moment..haha..no:huh:

-Ultra violet is more than decent.

-Love is Blindness unfinished...:| LOL, i think not.

LOL, i critiqued a crtique. :eyebrow:

Sorry, full text said:
Disclaimer: I’m just imagining what a reviewer would have said about AB back in the day, after listening to it just once. The views above are not mine, but belong to my renegade imagination.
I love all the tracks. AB is my favourite album of all time.

Just another 'can't trust these previews' type thread with a bit o' a twist. I completely agree with innocent eyes.

Tintin said:

:up: you've made your point very well... I think people have been trying to say these 1st listen previews are useless and you've finally succeeded...

But I think most listeners upon hearing AB for the first time back in '91 must have thought "WTF happened to U2!":wink:

You made the point nearly perfectly.

Only problem is your review has too
much clarity and too much objectivity.

(translation: you were too nice)

I agree these previews aren't worth bothering about. I don't know if this has been posted eleswhere but here's what Q magazine had to say about ATYCLB. A load of b***ocks!

Beautiful Day
Synth swirls, guitar glimmers, then chorus explodes with snare drums and Joshua Tree widescreen splendour. Bono reckons it's about a man who loses everything and feels better "See the bird with the leaf in her mouth/ After the flood all the colours come out" backs him up.

Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Theme of overcoming crisis ("this time will pass") and forging on established. Modem pop-soul sound an agreeable shock. Edge keeps it Steve Cropper simple. A keyboard rings out like a bell. Clayton and Mullen punctuate sparsely. Dusty Springfield in the house.

Elevation
Reminiscent of Achtung Baby's The Fly in its rock'n'roll funksomeness: also features staccato SexBono. Evil guitars like The Breeders' Cannonball. Sonar "boink" enhances beneath-sea-level ambience. Brilliant, Euro house-style sound-galloping-in-from-the distance bit. Putative single.

Walk On
"Love is hard but what else have we got?" ponders Bono, sort of, incorporating shades of We Shall Overcome. "A place that has to be believed to be seen" is the very clever line. Edge bullied into playing poignant guitarsolo. Graceful, noble, and leads aptly into...

Kite
Derives (as does Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of and parts of Elevation) from first nine months of recording. Bono plays complex POV games while the band establish tidal ebb and flow, building on a wistful wobbly synth sample. A song about the year 2000, as if written in 2030.

In A Little While
Guitar, bass and hip hop drum loop lope languidly in a modernized Al Green-style. Bono gives it 100 per cent vocal ache. "It's a bitcheesy. a bit lounge," says the singer "So I had to be soulful or it would have been... funny." Spice Girls' Biff Stannard credited with the purging of "pastiche" elements.

Wild Honey
Playful, acoustic guitar-driven, lovelorn cousin of Van Morrison circa Moondance. All temptations to add anything superfluous overlooked, barring momentary operatic explosion from Bono. Bono's "I'm singing like a bird" claim not without foundation.

Peace On Earth
Jesus is interrogated, not unbitterly, about the Omagh bomb. Muted sleigh ride intro screams "Christmas Number 1!", and primary-colour melody wouldn't look bad on Robbie Williams. "Hear it every Christmas time / But hope and history won't
rhyme" is killer line, adapted from Seamus Heaney.

When I Look At The World
A more urgent revisitation of The Ground Beneath Her Feet's melodic territory and the record's biggest "grower". Lyric about envying anothers more organic way of dealing with life, embroidered with echo box-guitar, naive keyboard see-saws and occasional child-waiting guitar interjections.

New York
Curious, under-a-blanket drum loop unveils conversational, man-loses-himself novella with apt Where The Streets Have No Name guitar quote. Poignant Sinatra anecdote (Bono:"He . picked up this napkin, said 'I remember when my eyes were that blue' and put it in his pocket") missed off album version.

Grace
The album's most Enofied moment, with the soft guitar, distant synth and bass counterpoint recalling, if anything, The Unforgettable Fire. "Grace is the idea I get most excited about" says Bono. "More so than karma. If I have to live by karma then I'm coming back as a frog."

The Ground Beneath
Delightful high-point of the Million DollarHotel soundtrack (ie there's no Milla Jovovich on it), and a single in some territories. "We just felt more people should hear it." resons Clayton, reasonably.

Here are a few "REAL I'M NOT KIDDING REVIEWS" of AB, some are fans, some are media I found around the net:

"How do a band follow up "Through the Barricades", that was the task that Bono and the lads had when they embarked on this Germanic Jaunt and created the new U2 90's sound. Often critised for their over-use of maracas in their previous releases, we find The "David Evans" Edge here in robust mood..carving skyward spiralling riffs, that rise and saw like an Buzzard awaiting to attack its dying prey. Adam Clayton is in comatose mood, as is Larry Mullen, A lack of Canadian input is the only fault and prevents a full five star review."

"An album in which the band reinvents itself into something more technology framed emotional guitar band and I don’t think this band would have achieved that sound had they not had an amazing studio team, consisting of Brian Eno and Steve Lillywhite. Achtung Baby kicks off with fuzzed up guitar riffs and a funky rhythm that continues to build momentum as the song goes on. The lyrics at the end of this song suffer from a typical U2 trademark, they are too cliche to have any real relevance in our times. But with the next track, Even Better Then The Real Thing, the band kicks back with a catchy melody line encored with a beautiful harmony, this is one the better songs on the album. One is the next track, and I don’t give a shit for this song, it is like a hole in the middle of an otherwise well devised concept. Track four is Until the End of The world. The rhythm guitars really sell this one with dancing wah pedals and clever chops. Next we move on to another cliché ridden song, Who’s Going to Ride Your Wild Horses. The song is so cliché it even has ‘Sha la la’s’ in the chorus. The song is just inconstant with the rest of the album. So Cruel is up next and it is one of my favorites on the album. I never really thought Bono sang like Bowie but he could have fooled me on this one. But I think Brian Eno (producer) had something to do with that, like he does with the rest of the album. The Fly is a great track. It really belongs here and it is even relevant to what is going on in our world today. The commercial Mysterious Ways; the track could have been a lot better than it was, but here again we suffer from cliché. Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World is the listeners last shot at hearing some fresh incredible music on this album, because when this song is over the album starts on a slow downward craw that last three tracks and 15 minutes of the listeners time. The last three tracks are called, Ultra Violent (light my way), Acrobat, Love Is Blindness. Over all this album is not that bad and U2 have shown that anything is possible in the studio. In the end the goods out weigh the bads, so check it out if you want, and if you don’t, you aren’t missing anything can’t hear someplace else."

"After this it all went down hill. Bono started dressing up in golden suits and wearing clown make up, The Edge stared wearing beenies and football jerseys with glittery numbers and the band began making sick sad pop music. Actung baby is the last U2 album that still holds traces of the bands' former greatness. "acrobat" "One" " Who's gonna ride your wild horses" and "Even better than the real thing" are tracks I find tolerable. The rest can go to cut. If you're new to U2 then this album is not for you. The three albums you need to listen to are "October" "War" "Joshua tree". There you will find what U2 sounds like at the apex of their talents. Do not listen to any album following "Achtung" if you know what's good for you."

"Some great songs. A lousy album. Nothing in the middle. I liked U2 better when they weren't so slick. I never understood U2 in the 90's."

"THE MOST OVERRATED ALBUM OF ALL TIME? Maybe not. There's some OK stuff here. No songs though. It's probably better than Pop. It's certainly better than Enya. Bono chooses not to sing this time out, and the rest of the band tries to compensate with effects. It doesn't work."

"It has that great song, "One" and maybe three other good songs, but the others are so-so and one memorable track, Ultra Violet, is IMHO just awful. I don't know how people can compare this to Joshua Tree, or War, or 1980-1990. Buy one of those 3 first, and also get the "One" single CD that comes with 3 others good tracks. Most of the people who gave this CD 5 stars wouldnt know a bad song from U2 if it slapped them in the face, probably because they are obsessed with living vicariously through this glamorized image of Being Irish, etc."

Brillant Trintin! Other peoples opinions are just that – other peoples opinions! They can be interesting, informative, exciting, disappointing, right on target, way off base, overly enthused, excessively critical, etc. In the end, its only our own opinion that counts.

And as far as we know every review either from a journalist or a fan has been based a single hearing! The AB comparison strikes a chord with me. Initially, it was tough to get into but for me (could have been a different way) it wasn’t until I heard AB in concert that gave me a new perspective and a renewed inspiration to be more open and to put more effort into listening to it. AB is now a favourite.

Actually, I find that a majority of my first listens to an album by a favourite artist are not incredible, outstanding, and so on. I find that I’m going in with very high expectations. Also, I have my secret desires wishing for certain sounds from their past. And I have secret hopes for where I’d love to see them to explore.

Apparently 2 more German fans reviews are coming tonight. I’m looking forward to reading them.

Last edited:
Hey I just read some of them reviews about not listening to anything after Achtung Baby hehehehe what a WAN~ER that reviewer was. And about Bono decides not sing on Achtung Baby and the band fill in with noises and it doesnt work and the albums crap, are these reviews REAL. I find it very hard to believe!

tkramer said:
One is the next track, and I don’t give a shit for this song, it is like a hole in the middle of an otherwise well devised concept.

That makes me cry. Calling One a "hole in the middle of an otherwise well divised concept" just ain't right. One is the greatest song ever written. Period.

So yeah, reviews aren't worth shit :D

Tintin said:

Zoo Station
Opens with an insistent distorted line, before a fuzzed out Bono breaks in. The industrial elements are similar to The Fly, though this is much more of a pop song. And it happily opens the album with lines like, “I’m ready for what’s next.”

Even Better Than the Real Thing
Edge discovers the groove...until the song actually starts when a jilting rhythm guitar takes over. A very sexual song, that never really solidifies into a memorable tune. At one point its simplistic chorus dissolves into a pleasant slide guitar solo. It does seem a bit over-produced.

One
A ballad, with a subdued blues riff from the Edge. Larry and Adam exercise adequate restraint, while Bono rasps about the need for unity in the face of division. Quite an emotional affair, though lacking in the breathtaking widescreen element found on songs like With or Without You. The lighters will be out on tour for this one.

Until the End of the World.
Ushered in by a strange howling noise, this is the one of the albums more dramatic moments. The alternatively rhythmic and soaring base lets Bono growl through the verses. Where’s the chorus? Maybe we’ll find out...at the end of the world.

Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Once again we find strange noises and distorted guitars, but this is the album’s big pop tune. A lovesick Bono contemplates, “Well, you left my heart empty as a vacant lot/ for any spirit to haunt.” A classic U2 chorus, and, near the end, a surprising dip into a minor key. Radio will love this one.

So Cruel
One of the albums weaker moments. A clumsy beat backs some rudimentary piano playing. It has a tortured lyric which seems at odds with what is essentially a simple happy song. It does get better as it goes on though.

The Fly
You’ve all heard this one by now: U2 do postmodern-dirtbag funk with sinister vocals and a falsetto chorus. Surprisingly, the Edge does on an extended solo. They certainly seem to be enjoying themselves, letting fans struggle with whether this is really what U2 does best. A stellar song, though.

Mysterious Ways
U2 keep the funk up, this time mimicking the style of the Madchester scene. The Edge adds spartan touches of a fuzzy funk while Larry and Adam provide a pounding groove on which Bono delivers his wailing.

Tryin’ to Throw Your Arms Around the World
After the scope of the album thus far, this song feels a little out of place. Probably could have been a b-side.

Ultraviolet
An epic start which has Bono declaring that he ‘wants to get it wrong,’ before a jangly riff comes in. A decent song, that saves itself just before it loses you.

Acrobat
One of the most confessional songs on the album with lines like, “And I must be an acrobat/ to talk like this and act like that.” Edge delivers some dark, chiming guitar lines and Bono tells us not to let the bastards drag us down.

Love is Blindness
An organ plays a slow arpeggio, before a clinking groove starts. A melancholy finish, but one that seems a little unfinished.

excellent post!!! the thing is, that is what some of the reviews of AB were like at the time, people have forgotten. i'll try and dig some up

I came across that AB one recently...I DO NOT agree with the So Cruel description at all.:madspit:
So on that basis, im not bothered about reviews, unless ALL the ones we'd read so far, had slagged off the new album. Then I would be worried!

Just read the lyrics for the album again, listen to the shitty recordings plus the Bono & Edge in an empty church sound from the apple presentation. I don't need to read any review to be sure that the Bomb is a work of art.

I remember reading the "Q" review at the time and they gave it 5 stars and were spot on with their review. I have the review still and I remember them saying about how the band start every song by all playing a different song and then settling on the sound they like best. I reckon that is a great description and fits with intros like Zoo Station, The Fly, Who's gonna ride & Until The End. The album has the finest intros to a set of songs you will EVER hear. It was a great review.

Back
Top Bottom