According to The People, Bono's a slob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elevatedmole

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Copyright 2002 MGN Ltd. ?
The People
June 9, 2002, Sunday

AS BONO MEETS WORLD LEADERS, FIGHTS FOR DYING AFRICAN AIDS VICTIMS AND
CRUSADES FOR POOR, ALL US MAG CAN SAY IS 'HE'S A SLOB'

BYLINE: Eamonn O'hanlon

AN American magazine has outrageously branded U2 frontman Bono a slob
following his 10-day fact-finding mission to Africa.

The influential US News & World Report, read by around 10 million people a
week, has attacked the Irish rocker for packing only one tie for the
historic four-nation trip.

Ignoring Dubliner Bono's groundbreaking talks with political leaders in
Ghana, South Africa, Uganda and Ethiopia, the magazine also criticised his
allegedly poor timekeeping. The nit-picking report followed a press
conference last week where Bono described himself and mission partner, US
Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill,as the 'Odd Couple'.

This was a reference to the 1970s hit television series about the
obsessively neat Felix Unger and his slovenly roommate, Oscar Madison.

"I'm the messy one, I don't have a very tidy room and I eat pizza," Bono
joked with reporters as he and O'Neill prepared to fly to Africa.

The Washington-based US News claimed Bono's comments were spot on.

"Now we learn just how close to Oscar Madison he really is," the magazine
said.

"Tipsters say he's habitually late and brought only one tie. And it has soup
stains on it."

Bono's supporters dismissed the report as muck-raking, claiming the
criticism was politically motivated.

"What would it matter if his tie had horse dung on it," a friend said.

"The important thing is that Bono is out there fighting for the poor and
dispossessed of Africa."

Bono wrapped up the tour in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa last week with
an impassioned plea for rich nations to increase aid to Africa and drop past
debts.

Swapping his casual clothes for a suit and that allegedly soup-stained tie
for an address to the African Development Bank's annual conference, he
attacked Western institutions like the International Monetary Fund for
helping perpetuate poverty.

"In the last 10 days while we have been on this trip in sub-Saharan Africa,
55,000 people have died of AIDS, $ 400 million has been spent by Africans on
debt payments - much of this to the IMF and World Bank - and 14,000 mothers
have given HIV to their children in childbirth," Bono said.

"Can you believe that? I cannot believe that. It is insanity."

He said it was unacceptable that Ethiopia, where 62 percent of adults cannot
read, was paying $ 100 million a year to the west in debt repayments.

"This is not acceptable on any level, anywhere, anyhow," he added.

Poor Bono. After all the good he's done, if that' s all they can say, that's terrible! The media made too much of the "Odd Couple' thing. I read a lot about him being 'unshaven' 'slept in his clothes' 'didn't comb his hair' 'casually clad' and comments about the sunglasses and then comparing him to the 'sharp suited'' O'Neill. But he's a unique character and I admire him for his coolness and individuality, and maybe that actually draws attention to him and helps! I'd take Bono over someone who looks like O'Neill anytime! As they said, he did wear the suit the last night, and the soup stains were probably a joke. Even if it were true I'm sure he washed it first!

True.

It's kind of an embarassing thing that this is all the press has to write about. How desperate do you have to be to write an article on a rockstar's stained tie? :huh:

elevatedmole said:
True.

It's kind of an embarassing thing that this is all the press has to write about. How desperate do you have to be to write an article on a rockstar's stained tie? :huh:

Really. And to think they get paid for that! :rolleyes:

I just picked up my parents' copy of the new U.S. News and World Report, and honestly, I can't find this article anywhere in it. I'm serious, if it's in there it's hiding between the article about the Loya Jirga in Afghanistan and the controversy over who-knows-what. :lol: The article in the paper that criticized the article that was supposedly in this magazine came out yesterday. I wonder if U.S. News pulled the plug or.......this is weird. They've run some incredibly tasteless articles on celebrities including a nasty piece about Russians after a Russian figure skater died of a heart attack at the age of 28. I was ready for the worst when I picked up that magazine today, but honestly, I can't find the damn thing. Maybe we can say good riddance? What happened? This is nuts. I could not believe that they were going to waste paper on a trashy article about a soup-stained tie, either........:huh: :huh:

awww, poor Bono...guess they couldn't find anything else bad to say about the guy.

But didn't we all know he was kinda slobby already?? I think that was mentioned in the BFB more than once...he's just got so much stuff going on in his life!

boundless talent + worldwide fame + philanthropy / media = bad press no matter what the poor guy does!

:sad: :eyebrow: :mad: :heart: :bono: :heart:

Discoteque said:
awww, poor Bono...guess they couldn't find anything else bad to say about the guy.

But didn't we all know he was kinda slobby already?? I think that was mentioned in the BFB more than once...he's just got so much stuff going on in his life!

boundless talent + worldwide fame + philanthropy / media = bad press no matter what the poor guy does!

:sad: :eyebrow: :mad: :heart: :bono: :heart:

I know, isn't it ridiculous? They completely left out the substantive part of the trip and focused on the trivial. They're trying to trivialize the whole trip, the whole cause of AIDS in Africa. They don't understand the problem, so they didn't write about it. To them, Africa is still the "forgotten" or "ignored" continent and they for whatever reason think it should stay that way. This is stupid and dangerous thinking. It's worse than trash. It's degrading to a whole continent of wonderful human beings who are going to be lost if we don't do something. These idiots feel too secure behind their borders. How can they, especially after 9/11? Good Lord, what stupidity. It's disgusting.:mad: :mad: :mad:

This is actually rather amusing. And also a little disturbing.

It's AFRICA! Besides rich white snobs, who wears a tie in sub tropical Africa? Bono doesn't have to dress up for anyone if he doesn't want to, especially if it's damn hot.

I've always known Bono was a slob after reading Into the Heart. In his teenage years he would borrow records (i have forgotten who from) and return them pretty wrecked, often with food on them! ah but who cares - just makes him more human. If you ask me the article is a waste of space.

Pamela

PopTart said:
I've always known Bono was a slob after reading Into the Heart. In his teenage years he would borrow records (i have forgotten who from) and return them pretty wrecked, often with food on them! ah but who cares - just makes him more human. If you ask me the article is a waste of space.

Pamela

I agree. For God's sakes, the guy's human. It's not right to deny anyone the right to be human, be they rock star or HIV patient in Africa. Bono has done so much for the planet, good grief, let him be a bit of a slob or whatever. If you must know, so am I when I'm not working at the library. :lol: :lol:

If that's the best bit of journalistic "news" they can come up with to report, I'd say that's a pretty sad commentary on the state of their magazine, editors, and/or writers.

Desire4Bono said:

Exactly! Especially considering the very tragic situations Bono was showing the world. They should be ashamed.

Besides he looked beautiful to me.

Me, too. :lol: But I can't find the damn article! I looked through the magazine again and it's not in there! This is so strange! I saw the article from the newspaper but not the magazine. The funny thing is that this magazine normally doesn't run articles about celebrities. Time will, of course, and that's what People is all about. Hm, the mystery of the missing article........:lol:

I agree with what most of you have said. This sucks. Our good hearted 'slob' 'out of control' Bono is much better looking and more caring than a hundred stuffed shirts in suits. They should stick a sock in it! :mad:

Bono- I love you just the way you are!!!!!

in dutch we say 'hoge bomen vangen veel wind' - high trees catch lots of wind - when you are famous and you're doing things that can be critisized, you have to cope with those critics. It's all part of the business.
But that doesn't mean that Bono didn't get it right. Walk on!

Peter said:
in dutch we say 'hoge bomen vangen veel wind' - high trees catch lots of wind - when you are famous and you're doing things that can be critisized, you have to cope with those critics. It's all part of the business.
But that doesn't mean that Bono didn't get it right. Walk on!

You're right. Bono is in a position to catch flak, like any other public figure. We just don't have to agree with it. :eeklaugh:

Back
Top Bottom