Absolute Worst Cover of a U2 song, ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha, my sister's told me about that-the Clay Aiken board she frequents is all a buzz about it. I caught one post from a person who said that a family member of theirs who likes U2 wasn't thrilled to hear Clay'd done that song. :p.

I haven't heard his version of that song yet-I'll be hearing it in September, when my family goes to see him (yep, he's coming to our old town, and naturally, my sister is all excited about it, and...yeah, we're taking her there). Somehow, though, I get the feeling it'll be at least a little better than Cher's version of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For". That's my pick for worst U2 cover ever done.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
Somehow, though, I get the feeling it'll be at least a little better than Cher's version of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For". That's my pick for worst U2 cover ever done.

This one is worse, hands down, LOL.

Let's see ...

1. No stage presence.
2. Dull.
3. Boring.
4. Lifeless.

He's no Bono, that's for sure. Couldn't hold a candle to the Vox if he tried.

Oh, and by the way, the worst U2 cover ever was on that In The Name Of Love disc, the cover of 40. By someone with a name like Starfield. Urgh, awful. Jars Of Clay did a horrible AIWIY too.

Last edited:
Well, there's also this cover of ISHFWILF by this German band called Badesalz. You don't want to hear that one. :barf:

Gawd :no:

I dont want to hear it. Why is Clay Aiken even on the tv/radio? He always looks like the lost scarecrow out of Wizard of Oz. Perhaps he should go Broadway.......... where I cant here him. :censored:

oh my god

this video makes it embarassing to be a u2 fan

99% of the people watching don't know what the hell the song is

and eveyone who does is looking down, shaking their heads, crying

i mean, edge isn't playin guitar, larry isn't drumming, adam isn't there, clay can't be Bono in a million years, there are backup singers...ugh what a mess

this sucks. this just made my day suck so much

Popmartijn said:
I disagree. Although it didn't top U2's version, their cover isn't horrible.

I agree. They certainly had a unique way of doing the song.

Originally posted by anitram
This one is worse, hands down, LOL.

Heh, well, I guess I'll have my verdict in September. Even though I haven't heard this version yet, I know it'd never top U2's, but I'm personally not really bothered by this news. I'm not a fan of Clay's music overall or anything, but...I dunno. He doesn't really bother me.

Angela

It seems that I'm in the minority here, but I think it's good. I like Clay's voice. He's a good singer. It's a good song. Nobody can beat the original, obviously, but I think it sounds decent.

......Clay Aiken? Is doing Streets? :crazy:

Well I haven't heard Clay's cover.... so my vote is this crap gimmicky lounge band, Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine, covering Bullet. :barf:

The bartender had it on repeat at this place I went to last weekend. He wouldn't stop playing it. ARGH. :mad:

There's a pic lower down on this page of Mr. Cheese presenting the CD to Bono. http://www.ideatown.com/rc/pix.html

Last edited:
an australian idol contestant, finished really low i think, named rob mills did where the streets have no name once, twas cringeworthy....

...but what else can you expect from someone who was on an idol show, the most brainless pointless talent contest ever...

intedomine said:
...but what else can you expect from someone who was on an idol show, the most brainless pointless talent contest ever...

Are you sure the word 'talent' is appropriate?

With regards to the Aiken cover, as I said to my friend yesterday, "it's definitely not good, but ... it's not bad either." Put it this way - I don't want to cause horrible bodily harm to him. However, his cover does not enthuse like Streets should, and he's plain boring. I defy anyone to move as little during Streets as he did. It's just not possible! Look at Bono, running a lap of the heart and more!

Techie2000 said:
Why oh why did I download that video only to hear such a great song annhiliated...:grumpy:

Morbid curiousity, I presume? The things we all do for U2 ...

As bad as you people say it is (I don't have the patience, and my comps slow), but the thing is, he is a fan of U2.

If there is a bright side to this, at least he's exposing people to U2, who might otherwise have not been exposed to their music.

Person #1 asks at Clay Aikin's tour "What's the song he's singing?"

someone who tells the person--"It's a cover by a band, called, U2",

Person #1--"hmm, wonder what the original sounds like." "Wow, this song is amazing, wonder what their other songs sound like...this band is cool!."

Hey you never know, heck I got into U2 because I was fan of actor who liked them, and curiousity took over, checked them out, and here I am writng posts on a message board about U2.

Besides, as Bob Dylan said, "your (U2's) songs are gonna last forever, but no one's going to know how to play them."

U2 really is an original of the species.

I never thought of that, thrillme. Thanks for pointing it out. I think I will save myself the pain of actually hearing this version of Streets, though.

By the way, who's the actor responsible for getting you into U2? It's always fun to hear of famous people who are U2 fans.

Back
Top Bottom