Absence of The Fly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it will be released as UK limited Best Of version as a bonus track , buy yourself " Achtung Baby Videos " there is your fly or buy a bootleg video , i'm sure in England , you can find it .

I think The Fly WILL be on the DVD version of the Best of, but I am not sure, but I thought that they were planning to have every video from the period, including others that not were included like please or Who's gonna ride your wild horses

I've commented on this before, but I have to say it again. The absence of The Fly is bizarre to me. To me, The Fly opened up the whole 90's era of turning u2's image upside down. The Fly was the first single of the 90's as well as the first video. The Fly persona was the beginnings of Macphisto and the whole Pop thing with the band members going over the top with their image. I think it is even more strange that the Edge says the single hasn't stood the test of time, since they were still playing it as of the second leg of their last tour and it still ROCKED the house. Not to mention that Bono put on the goggles with the emergence of THE FLY and still hasn't taken them off.
There has to be something more to leaving that song off. I'm not saying it is the best song of the era, but it certainly should be included as one of the more important ones. There's got to be more to the story.

Yes, the absence of the Fly is a little upsetting when you think of its historical relevance. However, already on my AB, my CD single, and numerous boots, it is not an issue with me. The one thing that I do wish is that AB be remastered. It has been over 10 years and the technology today would do incredible wonders with AB. I think everyone will agree with this once they hear the AB tracks off the new Best Of.

I will be a hidden track, but for the UK version only, the European, American and Asian versions all will have different hidden tracks from each other.

I think The Fly defines U2 in the 90's. I know Edge said in a recent interview that it hasn't aged well, and maybe that's true. But it's still a damn shame it wasn't included on both versions.

madonna's child said:
I think The Fly defines U2 in the 90's. I know Edge said in a recent interview that it hasn't aged well, and maybe that's true. But it's still a damn shame it wasn't included on both versions.

Yeah I don't understand why the hell Edge said that.
"The Fly" IS what they were about in the 90's regardless of whether they like it or not. I mean the song really is the sound of 4 men chopping down The Joshua Tree.

We'll know for sure when it comes out. It is still possible that it will make it on the NA version. October was the hidden track off the last Best Of in NA (and everywhere else). Common sense would tell us that the next Best Of in NA should have a hidden track too. It might not be The Fly, but it will be something.

I get the funny feeling that some of these internet sites are trying to push for more sales by saying "get this UK version beause it is the ONLY place that you will get The Fly as a bonus track" when the truth is no one really knows what is on what until the big day.

I think U2's '90s work has aged very well indeed. Zooropa and AB sound fresher and more vibrant than virtually all the modern records I buy. The Fly is a must-have inclusion on the best-of, and has not aged a bit.:yes:

The Fly, Lemon, Please and IGWSHA are going to be sadly missed from this Best Of.

Back
Top Bottom