ABOY video shoot in NYC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
my question is this...if they were playing live while on the flat bed truck, how did they do ABOY? it involves 2 guitars, so if edge was doing the lead parts (which it looks like in the video), then how was the rythem guitar being played? (ps: the lead parts alone are not enough to carry the song for any one that would be listen to them) in concert they could use a squencer, or another musician under the stage, but not on a flat bed truck. anyone have any ideas?

Edge probabley played a his part.
When they were driving around (wouldnt know Cause I wasnt there) But I belive they were Live. In the video clip, the album audio is pasted over the top.

Or are you talking about the concert under the bridge?....There's 2 guitars going there.

On the tour, Its just all Edge, at least at the shows I saw.

just edge is visable you mean. but there is a second guitar sound going on for sure. either backing track, or another musician under the stage playing. so that's why i was wondering what they for the flat bed truck performance.

The HTDAAB Promo appearances had the 2nd guitar as a backing track.

For the Vertigo Tour, they've dropped the backing track, and just Edge plays.

All they would need is electricity to do this. If they are playing into plugged amps and Bono is singing to an amplified mic, then they have power, so the backing track is just a triggered recording from a device, if that's a foot pedal or a midi device or whatever, all it takes is someone to trigger it in the temp set by the click track (ear pieces).

All they would have to do for the video is mime to the actual studio recording to synch up the video with the song. Some of it was defintely live, not that particular ABOY video of course.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
in the discotheque how are the guitars being played if the edge isn't playing it? :scratch:

oh yea... 'IT'S A FUCKING MUSIC VIDEO.

this has been headache's random rant of the day... he'll be back full time for more rants in one week

You're back! and with a wise ass answer :hyper:

I still do not get why people still would think U2 would hide a second guitar player under the stage....they use a backing track....

Anyway they have proved themselves big enough to be willing to let someone else play on stage with them for Original of the Species...if they needed the second guitar player they would have him on stage....

LJT said:
I still do not get why people still would think U2 would hide a second guitar player under the stage....they use a backing track....

Proof please? I just have never seen anything conclusive to make your point.

Last edited:
well the proof that they have people playing under the stage came in amsterdam, when terry someone (not sure of name) came out to play keyboards for OOTS

LJT said:

Anyway they have proved themselves big enough to be willing to let someone else play on stage with them for Original of the Species...if they needed the second guitar player they would have him on stage....

Is it in U2:At The End of the World? I've definitely read about it (using a second player backstage/understage).

Earnie Shavers said:

Is it in U2:At The End of the World? I've definitely read about it (using a second player backstage/understage).

I have never read the book...ok i have no definitive proof that they do not use people under the stage, but no one likewise has any proof that they do...unless they say somewhere themselves, but as i said if they did i think they would have them out on stage and not hide them...

I just think that something like this would have surfaced years ago if it were true...it is just my opinion that if they needed someone else to play with them, they would have used them like they did with Terry...i just think they use backing tracks for extra parts :shrug:

Last edited:
If you were a cautious band, a calculated band who played nearly the same set every night as to avoid disruptions and errant performances, would you choose a taped backing track or a live instrument when in both cases neither would be visible to the audience?

In truth, I think some of it is triggered backing tapes, and some of it might be live, depending on the song and the co-ordination of the sequencing and all that jazz. I don't think the track on All Because of You from the Brooklyn Bridge is Dallas Schoo under the stage, I think it's a tape. But do they use a live synth player for certain songs? Possible. I'd say it's parts of both. Something tells me it's easier to play to a backing track for U2, the sequencing of the lights and the video performances, that most of it is cued up. Does it matter? Of course not.

It's like the strings/organ intro to Streets. You could make a case that someone is playing them live on a synth under the stage, or that it is a backing track, the same track they use for every show.
You wouldn't really be able to differentiate the two, I lean towads backing tracks and tapes over live playing, which doesn't really make that much sense. More risk of a mess-up.

My guess is it depends on the song. Songs they play the exact same way every night vs songs that have a little improvisation here and there. Something I've noticed, watch Bono on songs where it's his call as to when a song comes to an end, or 'drops' so he can have a rant or sing along with the crowd, or for example songs like One when he decides he's going for the extra verse at the end. He gives his look around at the rest of the band in each case to signal what he wants, either the 'wind it up now' look or 'do it again' or whatever the instruction is. He often clearly also looks off stage when he does that, and even keeps his eye more off stage then on Edge or whoever when a song like that is winding up, especially when he has a guitar himself. Of course there could be a myriad of reasons as to why he's looking to someone out of view, but it may well be him signalling someone playing off stage. Either way, he does it, and he does it mostly when he's got a guitar - might also fall under U2 Fan Conspiracy Theory # 342: Bono isn't really playing guitar.

yeah, a song like Bad, which could theoretically last 6 minutes or 12 minutes. So the loop bit for the chorus has to be triggered by someone under the stage or Edge with a foot pedal.

Or it could be U2 Fan Conspiracy Theory #479
Dik Evans is playing it on a Casio.

Back
Top Bottom