ABOY rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Windmilllane

War Child
Many people have questioned why ABOY is a single. Most people think it's probably one of the weaker songs on the album. But I love this song. It is just pure rock, pure raw, kick ass song. It's also a good radio song, it's short and catchy. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be a big hit, but I'm hoping that non U2 fans will give it a listen on the radio and think, 'mmm, this song rocks'

Many people think that "Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own" is the next "One", a huge pop hit. But I think it will underachieve on the charts. I love that song, though, but I don't think it will get as much airplay as people hope it will. I hope I am wrong, though, because it's just a heartfelt, beautiful tune.

Windmilllane said:
Many people have questioned why ABOY is a single. Most people think it's probably one of the weaker songs on the album. But I love this song. It is just pure rock, pure raw, kick ass song. It's also a good radio song, it's short and catchy. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be a big hit, but I'm hoping that non U2 fans will give it a listen on the radio and think, 'mmm, this song rocks'

Many people think that "Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own" is the next "One", a huge pop hit. But I think it will underachieve on the charts. I love that song, though, but I don't think it will get as much airplay as people hope it will. I hope I am wrong, though, because it's just a heartfelt, beautiful tune.

Exactly. I think that "Sometimes" is a very overrated song. Its nice, but not radio friendly. Definately not the next one. You may not think its overrated, but I do.

Windmilllane said:

What makes you say that "MOST people think its one of the weaker tracks on the album"? I haven't gotten that impression at all.

ABOY rocks hard! :up: I love it. A friggin pox on everyone who voted it off on survivor :grumpy:

I'm not a fan of this song at all. That doesn't mean I think Sometimes should be a single. Nothing screams RADIO FLOP like that one.

I agree that while Sometimes is a beautiful song, it's not radio friendly at all. At the same time, I don't want All Because of You to be the next single either.

well, I almost agree, ABOY is more radio friendly, that's true but SYCMIOYO isn't overrated...

u2 should just record a new song and that should be the next single!!!!! note :wink: :wink:

actuall that golden eye bono version kicks arsss too bad the 90s u2 is over:sad:

ABOY is totally awesome. It makes me proud to be a U2 fan!
If I was to play a song off the new album to someone who was'nt already a fan, this would be the song.

Last edited:
shaun vox said:
u2 should just record a new song and that should be the next single!!!!! note :wink: :wink:

actuall that golden eye bono version kicks arsss too bad the 90s u2 is over:sad:

90's U2 rest in peace...........

Last edited:
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own is soooo overrated.
But I never got why people disliked Vertigo as the first single. Not only is it a great song, it has much more - "we're back in action" attitude than All Because of You, which is probably the only other alternative.
And that's what All Because Of You lacks, I think. It's lyrics don't actually say anything. It has no theme, it's just a rock song, a good rock song, but I think Vertigo has a bit more attitude.

anitram said:
I'm not a fan of this song at all. That doesn't mean I think Sometimes should be a single. Nothing screams RADIO FLOP like that one.

I feel the opposite way. Sometimes will flop as a single. It starts off slow and doesn't 'grab' you. Anyone who doesn't know the touching story behind it will find it sappy and dull, especially younger people. I hope they don't tarnish the image of this beautiful tribute by throwing it to the wolves of the charts :(

U2Kitten said:

I feel the opposite way. Sometimes will flop as a single.

That's exactly what I said. How's that opposite?

ABOY = Dull, tries too hard to be a rocking song, uninspiring to me, sounds loud but no greatness behind it.

Sometimes = Nice song. TERRIBLE single, will flop.

Oh, I thought you said Sometimes should be the single. Gotta slow down :huh: Sorry.

God Part III said:

And that's what All Because Of You lacks, I think. It's lyrics don't actually say anything. It has no theme, it's just a rock song, a good rock song, but I think Vertigo has a bit more attitude.

Did you consider the "you" in the song might be either of his parents?
Some here even interpret as it being about God.

All because of you and Crumbs from your table were the songs I first thought would be singles when I heard the album. I think they chose ABOY because it was already in airplay on the radio.

As for Sometimes, I don't know. Yes it's a slow song but I think, like WOWY or One, it has the potential to get over that and appeal to masses.

It's not just a slow song I mean it starts off slow as in the starting music and lines do not grab you. It sounds like the kind of thing people change the stations on in the first few notes. It gets much better later and is of course a nice song but it should stay on the album, a special song to mean something to people. It's not commercial.

I love ABOY, now I´m liking even more!!!

I love the shout and the "I´m alive I just arrived part", the guitar rocks, the song rocks... it´s one of my VERY favorites from the album!

U2girl said:

As for Sometimes, I don't know. Yes it's a slow song but I think, like WOWY or One, it has the potential to get over that and appeal to masses.

It is simply not epic like WOWY and One.

anitram said:

It is simply not epic like WOWY and One.

With all due respect to your opinion, nothing will ever be WOWY or One..
All Because Of You will be a hit.. song and video (New York footage) wise..
Sometimes ....... is going to be a great video, but not many youngsters will "get it" because it takes time to learn about the lyrics of a song. I think it will have a good run, however.
In my oinion Sometimes is an epic already.

Can't wait to see the video for Crumbs from Your Table. :wink:
(and I don't care if you don't agree)

sue4u2 said:

With all due respect to your opinion, nothing will ever be WOWY or One..

:huh:

Maybe, maybe not.

People said, nothing will ever be Bad. Then they said, nothing will ever be Bad or WOWY. Then they said, nothing will ever be Bad or WOWY or One.

The sky may or may not fall tomorrow, nobody knows.

The last album which gave us a classic U2 song was "Zooropa" with "Stay". I think since then the band has written great songs like "Gone", "Hold me, thrill me,..." or "kite" but at the same time I don't think they have the same classic level for a U2 song. In turn, "How to dismantle an atomic bomb" will be remembered for giving us again classic u2 songs like "Sometimes you can't make it on your own", "All because of you" and "City of blinding lights".

In my opinion there are 3 or 4 classic U2 songs in this new album.

merry x-mas

www.todoU2.tk

Back
Top Bottom