ABOY is a job well done.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBrau1

ONE love, blood, life
The Seeker
Baba O'Riley
Young Man Blues
Magic Bus
I Can See For Miles

I've just listened to these 5 Who songs. And my lord did U2 do a good job w/ ABOY. It really is sonically inspired by The Who. The beat, the riff, the vocal, the panning of lead and rhythm guitars.
U2 have never sounded like this before. Desire comes close to that garage rock thing. But this tune nails it. Listen to I Will Follow, MLK, ISHFWILF, Lemon, Playboy Mansion, IALW, and ABOY in that order. Now try and realise the same band wrote all those songs. Freaking amazing. They're freakin genius.

I absolutely agree 100%.

Those who don't like ABOY, don't like U2 as a rock band and should stop pretending they do. They like U2 as a loud folk band.

U2 have never sounded so rock and roll. Ever.

U2DMfan said:
I absolutely agree 100%.

Those who don't like ABOY, don't like U2 as a rock band and should stop pretending they do. They like U2 as a loud folk band.

U2 have never sounded so rock and roll. Ever.

Yeah, that late 60's kinda bluesy, pop, garage thing, alot like Desire, only not as American. U2 rock alot. But this is rock & roll.

Really perfect Keith Richards quote from a few years back:

"I hear alot of rock these days, but very little roll."

the rockin edge said:
All Because Of You.........One of U2's few real rock n roll songs:drool:

True. U2 have lots of "rock" songs: Out Of Control, New Years Day, Like A Song, Wire, Streets, Bullet, Exit, God PtII, UTEOTW, The Fly, Acrobat, Zooropa, HMTMKMKM, Disco, Mofo, Gone, LNOE, BD, Elevation, New York, Electrical Storm, Vertigo, LAPOE, etc.

But they've only got a handfull of "rock & roll" songs: Trip Thru Your Wires, AngelOf Harlem, Desire, ABOY.

Axver said:
Now what does shaun vox have to say to this?

"U2 are nots a reel rock band!1!!...Tey are a pop band!! ...not that there are anting rong with dat!!1!"

It's getting really good radio play in this area. :) I heard it three times today (twice on a Tampa modern rock station and once on an Orlando rock station). :up: I pretty sure it must be on the regular playlist for the Tampa station, because I heard it a couple times earlier this week too (I only listen to the radio while driving, so I'm sure they've played it more than that).

Last edited:
probably my favorite on the new record. I love so many of the tracks, but in the end this is the one that edges out everything else.

Edge's guitar work is brilliant, and the solo followed by Bono's "I'm alive..." verse is one of my favorite u2 moments EVER.

ABOY won't stand the test of time and will join the ranks of The Fly and Discotheque - hot during their time but not quite holding up after a while.

Cheers,

J

Back
Top Bottom