About U2's future...maybe this is a clue - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2004, 03:38 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:25 PM
About U2's future...maybe this is a clue

I looked around and I found these informations:

U2 first signed a record deal for 4 albums in 5 years,

then (before UF came out) they signed a record deal for 4 albums - this time with artistic freedom and the choice of producer, having all rights to their old and new songs,

then in '93 (before Zooropa came out) they signed a deal for 6 albums and 25% from the earnings of those albums,

but in '98 (when first Best of came out) that deal changed to 3 more albums and 1 more Best of.

Old 07-09-2004, 03:55 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 11:25 AM
well sounds about right..... 2 more albums including this long awaited one will take them till the end of the decade... right time to retire don't you think?

Old 07-09-2004, 04:16 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

No !! They will play and record until I am dead.....
Old 07-09-2004, 05:13 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:25 PM
i'm with you, numb! (some truths are too terrible to contemplate...)
Old 07-09-2004, 05:32 PM   #5
War Child

Local Time: 04:25 PM
I'd say they have another 3 albums left in them...the one later this year, then I think we'll get another fairly soon after that with all the material they must have, say Dec 2006, then a farewell album by the end of the decade...though of course i'd like them to go on for ever
Old 07-09-2004, 05:54 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:25 AM
dammit! i missed the 70's 80's and 90's of U2!

bring on 2020! cmon u2, you can do it
Old 07-09-2004, 06:19 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:25 PM
Re: About U2's future...maybe this is a clue

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
then in '93 (before Zooropa came out) they signed a deal for 6 albums and 25% from the earnings of those albums,

but in '98 (when first Best of came out) that deal changed to 3 more albums and 1 more Best of.

This is not entirely correct. Yes, U2 did sign a deal for 6 albums (and a really high royalty rate) just before Zooropa came out. However, Zooropa was the last album of their last contract, not the first one of their new one.

The Best Of's are covered in a separate contract, they are not part of the 6 album deal. Reportedly, U2 got $50 million for 3 Best Of compilations, so their 2/3 done with that deal.

As for the multi-album deal, depending on whether or not Passengers is counted as an album under that contract (don't know the details about that one), U2 have made 3 or 4 albums for that one (Pop, ATYCLB, the new one and maybe Passengers). Should they adhere to their contract, then there are 2 or 3 more albums left...

C ya!

Marty
Old 07-09-2004, 06:44 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by discothequeLP
dammit! i missed the 70's 80's and 90's of U2!

me too, I started to be fan since 2000, but I'm realist, U2 will release 2 (or 3) more albums and they will say goodbye
Old 07-09-2004, 07:44 PM   #9
War Child

no they won't!!
don't be so pesimistic,goddammit
they are the best friggin' band on the world and they will not call it quits,at least for another 15 years,or more!
put some trust in them!
Old 07-09-2004, 07:57 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Are you kidding?! They love doing this! That's why they've been going for so long while other bands fall apart and quit. As long as the fans like it and as long as they like it, they're not gonna "retire." Look at Johnny Cash: he kept making music 'til the very, very end. And remember what Bono said, about how the music business is like the priesthood. "You can't get out until you die or somebody whacks you" (God forbid!).
Old 07-09-2004, 08:04 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:25 AM
Well, seeing that they know take 4 years between albums and they have two or three studio albums left on their contract - that's quite a long time before we even have to think about them possibly retiring.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:18 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:25 PM
Creative types don't ever stop being creative. Whether the boys will get tired of recording and releasing, or at the very least touring, remains to be seen. I don't think it's anything we need to worry about.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:57 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel D.
"You can't get out until you die or somebody whacks you" (God forbid!).
i like how bono says "whacks." sounds like the mafia would do something like that
Old 07-10-2004, 12:36 AM   #14
War Child

Local Time: 08:25 AM
No! They can keep going until I die, please.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:58 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: About U2's future...maybe this is a clue

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

This is not entirely correct. Yes, U2 did sign a deal for 6 albums (and a really high royalty rate) just before Zooropa came out. However, Zooropa was the last album of their last contract, not the first one of their new one.

The Best Of's are covered in a separate contract, they are not part of the 6 album deal. Reportedly, U2 got $50 million for 3 Best Of compilations, so their 2/3 done with that deal.

As for the multi-album deal, depending on whether or not Passengers is counted as an album under that contract (don't know the details about that one), U2 have made 3 or 4 albums for that one (Pop, ATYCLB, the new one and maybe Passengers). Should they adhere to their contract, then there are 2 or 3 more albums left...

C ya!

Marty
If I understood that correctly (btw, my source was U2 History from U2tour.de),

the first 4 album deal in 5 years in 1980 covered from Boy to *Under a blood red sky (do live albums count? if not, then you're right about Zooropa not counting to the 6 album contract)

the second 4 album deal covered *UF, JT, Rattle and hum and AB

the 6 album deal would cover Zooropa, (Passengers?) POP, ATYCLB, "Vertigo" and one more.

and the changed one after the first Best of covers ATYCLB, "Vertigo" and one more album
Old 07-10-2004, 04:59 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

According to Bill Flanagan's At The End Of The World U2 ended their old contract with Zooropa. I see on the U2tour.de website that there was a new contract just before the release of The Unforgettable Fire. That one was still under their old contract (I don't think that a mini live EP counts as a full album), as you generally negotiate new contracts when you haven't fulfilled your old yet (completely). You want to have some time to find something else should negotiations fail. Because when you don't have a record contract, you don't get an advance for making an album (to cover the costs of recording, etc.).

So the first four albums covered are Boy to The Unforgettable Fire, the next four are The Joshua Tree to Zooropa and the subsequent six started with either Pop or Passengers and are for albums with new material.

Seperate of that contract, there is the contract for three Best Of compilations. Here's an excerpt from the Financial Times about that contract:
http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src...Year=1998&Cat=

Quote:
U2 Sign $50m Archive Deal

Financial Times, September 05, 1998

Alice Rawsthorn

U2, one of the world's most successful rock groups, has reached one of the most lucrative deals in the music industry, with PolyGram, its record company, which is expected to earn the band more than $50m in advances.

The three-album deal, scheduled to be signed early next week, will allow PolyGram's Island Records subsidiary to release three Best Of U2 albums. The first, including recordings from 1980 to 1990, goes on sale in November.
So this one really covers only The Best Of 1980-1990, The Best Of 1990-2000 and another one (2000-2010?).

C ya!

Marty
Old 07-10-2004, 07:02 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

I didn't know Flanagan says that. Thanks for that info, so yes, it looks like the first contract went till UF, the second one till Zooropa.

I'm not sure Passengers count (there were all members of U2 on it, it was not released under the name U2). I'm guessing the contract albums started with POP, but is it true that in 1998 the 6 album contract became a three album contract like U2tour.de says?
Old 07-10-2004, 08:39 AM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
I'm not sure Passengers count (there were all members of U2 on it, it was not released under the name U2). I'm guessing the contract albums started with POP, but is it true that in 1998 the 6 album contract became a three album contract like U2tour.de says?
No, that's not true. The 6 album contract for new material has stayed a 6 album contract (AFAIK). However, a second contract was signed for three compilation records. Those contracts are separate, they have nothing to do with each other.

C ya!

Marty
Old 07-10-2004, 12:11 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 12:25 AM
About U2's future, the 6-album contract is not necessarily set in stone. The label and U2 may mutually end the contract prematurely on terms agreed to by both parties.

If U2's latest album will tank and their tour will be poorly attended, I don't see U2 doing a new album or tour.

Despite touring for two years non-stop (with an album in between), U2 was able to deliver POP (although unfinished) in a little more than three years from Zooropa - not to mention Passengers in between. From the end of the Popmart Tour to the release of ATYCLB, it was a shade under 3 years - and not to mention a new recording of Sweetest Thing and the Million Dollar Soundtrack in between.

Now, from ATYCLB (October 2000) to the new album (November 2004) - we are looking at 4 years - this despite the fact that the Elevation Tour lasted less than one year, and they had no major side projects in between (save for Electrical Storm, Hands That Built America).

It is obvious that U2 are slowing down. It could be because they are older, or their focus is not as sharp as before (Bono seems to have other priorities now), or their heart is simply not in it. After the Grammy success of ATYCLB and the Superbowl appearance and then cashing in on the 9/11 tragedy, U2 would have rode the wave and make a quickie album (ala Zooropa) if they were back in their peak at their younger days. Now they are no longer a hungry band. They are already filthy rich and probably just a tad bit tired of seeing each other's faces.

So after U2 had been traditionally giving us two year waits (80s) to three-year waits (90s) - and now four-year waits (00s) -- the album after this one should probably be out in 2008 (if they ever decide to release one more) or even 2009. At that point U2 would be pushing 50 so they will surely call it quits. U2 have hinted many times that they don't want to be relegated to a ceremonial band basking on past glory like the Rolling Stones. U2 have a much higher standard - and as they grow older, it will be more difficult to live up to that standards.

I'd say disregard the 6-album contract. U2 can always restructure that at all. I'd say that the upcoming album is their last or second to the last - the last being released in 2008 or 2009. U2 are too old to have sudden creative bursts like the ones that lead to Zooropa and Rattle and Hum. U2 have too many outside interests to remain hungry to make great music. U2 are close to calling it quits - believe or not.

I think we are now approaching the second to the last chapter of U2's existence. So let's enjoy it while we can.

As for the third compilation album, I don't think U2 will ever have enough songs to cover a decent 2000-2010 collection. So their third compilation album will probably be a boxed set collect the best of U2 1980 to present, plus some unreleased tracks or rare mixes.

Cheers,

J
Old 07-11-2004, 02:42 AM   #20
War Child

Jick, I guess you're pretty young if you think 50 is too old to have creative bursts. That is a complete myth. It's all in the mind. You are NEVER too old.

I'd give you plenty of examples, but I'm too senile to think of any now.

I'd be afraid if you were my grandchild.

"My feeling is that it is cool for people to share our music -- as long as no one is making money from the process. We tell people who come to our concerts that they can tape the shows if they want. I think it is cool that people are so passionate about our music" -- Bono
The continuous search for purpose...