about bono's operation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babyman

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
i've heard about an operation on bono's vocal cords in the second half of the ninetees, and they say that's the reason why bono's voice is now a lot lower. who knows more details about?

I heard something too, I think it was after POP and before ATYCLB, I think he had damaged vocal chords due to smoking/drinking and all the high notes singing. (some sort of knots formed there, if I'm not mistaken)

No, it wasn't his vocal chords. I heard it was his sinuses and something like his nasal septum, something like that, but not his throat itself.

I remember that, it was 1999. It was on his sinuses, not his throat. As someone who's had MAJOR sinus problems myself :censored: :censored: I can tell you they're a pain.

verte76 said:
As someone who's had MAJOR sinus problems myself :censored: :censored: I can tell you they're a pain.

Amen. Sinus infections are the worst b/c they take a month to recover from. I always get influenza and a sinus infection and the doctor says there's nothing to be done. I wish someone would drill a hole into my sinuses and let them drain....

my dad had sinus surgery like six years ago. it didn't help, but then again, neither did he. what i mean is, he took the advice from his doctor a little too literally. after the surgery, you need to not blow your nose for the first few weeks or something. makes sense, right? this way, you don't mess up anything and let your sinuses heal.

well, he's taken that a bit to the extreme. years later, he still (this is gross, i know) basically snorts his phlegm back up there most of the time and rarely blows his nose. and he wonders why the surgery didn't help! he almost constantly has sinus infections now, even more than before. wonder why!

I have a friend who had that surgery last year. He's my age (34) and had trouble since he was 16. It got so bad the sinuses pressed on his eyes and he had pain in them and had to squint. He kept putting off the surgery but finally his wife and mom practically forced him. He said it was painful and gross and ran blood and snot for days. He was miserable for about 2-3 weeks but after that he was better and wished he'd done it years before. He's a U2 fan and I told him Bono had the same surgery and he said, poor guy, he knew how he felt!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Amen. Sinus infections are the worst b/c they take a month to recover from. I always get influenza and a sinus infection and the doctor says there's nothing to be done. I wish someone would drill a hole into my sinuses and let them drain....

They are awful! The worst is a sinus migraine,you can't even see...:(

My mom had the same operation a few years back..
essentially they roto-rooter your sinus cavities, the tissues in there can become permanently inflamed and swollen from allergies etc. and hers were literally blocked shut from years of dust/mold exposure. the first few days she was miserable but she'll tell anyone who'll listen that it's the best thing that's ever happened. no wonder his voice changed after.

Poor guy. I saw what my mom went through, hope his wasn't as uncomfortable...

I must be the only 1 dat aint heard about his op, poor lovey!!!
Not fair why do BAD things happin to mint people.

UR STILL DA BOMB BONO!

keep on rocking babes!:wink:

my dad and I both get terrible sinus infections..those alone change your voice, and are really uncomfortable. They actually wanted to give my dad sugury a few years back and drill holes in his palate to let his sinuses drain (into his mouth...ew!) but he held off. And now his sinuses are better. yeesh.

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
my dad and I both get terrible sinus infections..those alone change your voice, and are really uncomfortable. They actually wanted to give my dad sugury a few years back and drill holes in his palate to let his sinuses drain (into his mouth...ew!) but he held off. And now his sinuses are better. yeesh.
god i know! i don't even remember what i sounded like as a kid but damn my voice is really deep now! it creeps me out at times. not even cool female deep like husky or something, but like...blah!

Back
Top Bottom