Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here (AKA New Album Speculation)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, Cori isn't the only one who is underwhelmed by Beautiful Day. As someone who loved the songs on M$H I was excited to hear what they would do next, and the familiar sounds of BD were not what I was hoping for. And it's hardly the best single they've put out in the 00's; Walk On also has echoes of classic U2 but ja a much stronger track, despite the eye-rolling cliche couplet in the bridge.

Yes, Walk On is definitely my other songwriting 'stand out' of the 00s singles. When I said BD "thumps all others by some margin" I was thinking more of just its rough stable mates - Elevation, Vertigo, ABOY, Boots, Magnificent.

Its nothing to do so much with personal 'favourites' or taste as such (in as much as neither song is really to my taste, neither would feature on any Top Whatever list of mine), or about what I expected or wanted or would have liked from U2 in 2000 (MDH direction - absolutely). I just think that Beautiful Day (and definitely Walk On) = technically brilliant songwriting, a notch above, top of the 00s Singles class.

Beautiful Day ahead by a nose because I just think its ticking some slightly tougher boxes.

I like Beautiful Day, I certainly don't mind hearing it in concert, but it falls short of "great" for me.

It lacks some oomph (that finally comes in with Adam's bass in the "what you don't have you don't want it now" part), and the chorus never really gives me that great liftoff you need from a great U2 song.

However, "the heart is a bloom" is one of my favorite lines out of any U2 songs, so it's got that going for it.

:heart:

(That was in response to BoMac, but now that Laz snuck in there before I posted, it does apply to his comment as well.)

colbert-gq-notice.jpg

Is that like getting my name written on the blackboard? I don't like getting in trouble.

Now my stomach hurts. Can I go to the nurse's office? :(

I just see a lot of really weak arguments in here, so sometimes I challenge them. I don't care if you like or don't like the song, I would just rather hear, "because I don't like it" rather than some cliched "by numbers/safe" argument that doesn't make sense.
:up:
this forum would be infinitely better if some people would use their typing fingers as little as they use their brain

I can't count how many times I read, "can't I share my opinion, isn't this what this place is for?" But when I want to share mine it's "redundant contrarianism"? (which is a good word, by the way)

I honestly like it and feel it's very misunderstood in here. I don't think my "argument" was about semantics at all. I just see a lot of really weak arguments in here, so sometimes I challenge them. I don't care if you like or don't like the song, I would just rather hear, "because I don't like it" rather than some cliched "by numbers/safe" argument that doesn't make sense.

I hope this isn't referring to me! :reject:
If it is, let me know what else i can say...

Cool :up:
Well, to be honest, i appreciate the conversation we had, it made the thread more interesting than it would have been. True, we have different definitions, i think this too is down to opinion, so there's just no point in going on about it...
But i think my original point remains valid, or at least an interesting and appropriate topic for discussion - u2 are reactive, and if something fails, they tend to go in the opposite direction. Knowing that, should we expect songs that are a far-cry from Boots, CT, and also MoS etc?

so weird....we now have 2 reputable websites/retailers put a late May release date for U2's new album, yet it still just seems like there's no way this thing is actually coming out.

IF YOU, Twist and TUrn AWAY
IF YOU TEAR YOURSELF IN 2 again
if i COULD
YOU know i woulld
if i could '
throw this lifeliess lifleline in the wind
see you break away
into the night
through the rain
through the flame
if i could
through myself
set your spirit free
id leave your heart
see you break
break away
into the light
through the day
who hooooooooooooooooo
hwo hoooooooooooo
hooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ho
hooooooooooo
ho
hoooooooooooooooo
hooooooooooooooooooooo
so loet it gooooooooooooooooooo
fade away
let it go
ahaha
and so
fade away
wide awake
im
wide awake
im not sleeping
oh no
im not sleepiong
ho hoh oh
if i could
you know i would
let it go
x
x
x
x
x
x

condemnation
recognation
temptation
ISOlation
desolation

LET IT GO
uh huh
and so
fade away
LET IT GO
ah uhu
and fade
FADE
FADE
DADE AWYa

i fade away
i fade away
i fade away
i fade away
i fade away
i fade away
i fade away
i fade away

WIDE AWAKE
IM WIDE AWAKE
WIDE AWAKE
IM WIDDE AWAKE
IM WIDE AWAKE
UH HUH
IM NOT SLEEPING
OH NO
IM NOT SLEEPIN'

come on down
come on down
come on down
sing it
come on down

Drunken Mrs. Garrison

so weird....we now have 2 reputable websites/retailers put a late May release date for U2's new album, yet it still just seems like there's no way this thing is actually coming out.

I just feel that, if two companies already knew this kind of specific information, we'd be getting flooded with rumors/other info by now.

I understand what Ernie is saying about the stores needing lead time, but there would be some weak link at EVERY major music chain worldwide that would be letting information slip out, not just a couple.

I'm still standing by my assumption that if the album is actually coming out soon, it's going to be right before those Mexico City shows on May 10th. I just don't believe something would hit the street in the middle of a string of shows. The last time that happened was with Zooropa, and that certainly didn't need any publicity because of how well Achtung Baby and ZooTV were doing. In this case, the 360 tour is only giving them a fraction of that momentum.

There is one thing I should point out, however: there's an odd little 10-day break between the Oakland show (June 7) and the first Anaheim show (June 17), which would theoretically give them enough time to fly to NY, London, Paris, etc. for some kind of album release promo thing. And considering they're going to Glastonbury right in the middle of a 4-day break in U.S. shows, this isn't an outlandish notion.

So, barring a May 10th release, there is still the slight possibility of June 14th, which would give them some more breathing room, and only 6 cities in North America would have their shows before the album came out. Which certainly wouldn't prevent them from testing out new songs in Mexico and some of these relatively smaller markets (Denver, SLC, Edmonton, Seattle).

As long as it comes out before they get to Los Angeles, it's fine with me!

Beautiful Day isn't pop rock. Pop rock is a sub-genre of pop music where pop music incorporates aspects of rock music.

Beautiful Day is a rock song. So yeah, it has a string synth. That doesn't make it pop rock. Maroon 5 is pop rock. OneRepublic is pop rock. That's music that is pop music that takes on a full rock band aspect. Beautiful Day doesn't exactly fit that.

And pop rock doesn't mean popular music that is rock. It means pop music (the genre).

At any given time, pop is inhabited by rock, country reggae, rnb, soul, hiphop, jazz, bubblegum, shoegaze, you name it - type songs. And typically once a song enters the pop charts or seems obviously aimed at them, we refer to it as "pop/rock" "pop/soul" "pop/dance" etc depending on what it's origins sound like. Take a look at all the different artists and styles on the Billboard Pop. Been like that for decades.

Beautiful Day is indeed about as pop/rock of a song as you can get (it's not even debatable!), and being called part of the pop/rock genre isn't a slight unless people have an issue with pop music. U2 certainly don't.

Re: Crazy Tonight (album), of any other U2 song in the catalogue, to me it most sounds like Window In The Skies. And they're both hopelessly bubblegum pop Beatles type tunes. I wouldn't even be at all surprised to learn that they were written in the same sessions. And neither is in any way what the public wants from U2, hence the failure to connect. :shrug:

At any given time, pop is inhabited by rock, country reggae, rnb, soul, hiphop, jazz, bubblegum, shoegaze, you name it - type songs. And typically once a song enters the pop charts or seems obviously aimed at them, we refer to it as "pop/rock" "pop/soul" "pop/dance" etc depending on what it's origins sound like. Take a look at all the different artists and styles on the Billboard Pop. Been like that for decades.

Beautiful Day is indeed about as pop/rock of a song as you can get (it's not even debatable!), and being called part of the pop/rock genre isn't a slight unless people have an issue with pop music. U2 certainly don't.

Pop rock is a genre, pop billboards are popular music. I take no slight in pop music at all, but in my opinion there is a very big difference between such examples as I named before, like Sweetest Thing. I like that song. And it's certainly pop rock.

There's still a difference between popular music and pop music. Pop is it's own genre. Just like the indie genre, which originated from obviously being independent music. The title is no longer exclusive to simply independent music anymore.

I have nothing to call Beautiful Day other than rock. I don't want to say avant garde and get blasted for that (well I just did), because I know it's not, but it's certainly it's own type of music and there's not much else too similar to it. I mean, it's not the first rock song to sound like it does, but it has it's own qualities that a lot of other music doesn't have.

Beautiful Day was a popular song, but it simply doesn't fit in the same category as other songs that fall in the pop rock category.

Well you have a narrower definition; it would seem that enough people have a different, or wider one to make such specific proclamations useless.

There is one thing I should point out, however: there's an odd little 10-day break between the Oakland show (June 7) and the first Anaheim show (June 17), which would theoretically give them enough time to fly to NY, London, Paris, etc. for some kind of album release promo thing. And considering they're going to Glastonbury right in the middle of a 4-day break in U.S. shows, this isn't an outlandish notion.

So, barring a May 10th release, there is still the slight possibility of June 14th, which would give them some more breathing room, and only 6 cities in North America would have their shows before the album came out. Which certainly wouldn't prevent them from testing out new songs in Mexico and some of these relatively smaller markets (Denver, SLC, Edmonton, Seattle).

As long as it comes out before they get to Los Angeles, it's fine with me!

Spider-Man is now going to be opening on June 14th after its shutdown then new set of previews, so due to Bono's supposed commitment to the overhaul of that, i would imagine he could be pretty distracted during the 10-day tour break between June 7&17... just a guess though...

i think it's interesting that Amazon was reporting May 29th(??) and Fnac is saying late May...

Well you have a narrower definition; it would seem that enough people have a different, or wider one to make such specific proclamations useless.

I mean, agree to disagree. I don't like labeling music, but if I'm going to I'm going to be very specific/precise with it because there's no reason to group music that's hardly similar with each other in a sub-genre of all things.

I have nothing to call Beautiful Day other than rock.

Beautiful Day was a popular song, but it simply doesn't fit in the same category as other songs that fall in the pop rock category.

Just about every online music listing service, bricks and mortar retailer and music reviewer I've seen has Beautiful Day firmly in their Pop/Rock category. I suppose they've got it wrong, huh?

Of course you're free to label it anyway you want but it's not necessarily a fact-based opinion.

EDIT: It's funny you mentioned Sweetest Thing. I was about to use it as an example and call it Reggae. But I'd be wrong, of course. :wink:

Just about every online music listing service, bricks and mortar retailer and music reviewer I've seen has Beautiful Day firmly in their Pop/Rock category. I suppose they've got it wrong, huh?

Of course you're free to label it anyway you want but it's not necessarily a fact-based opinion.

EDIT: It's funny you mentioned Sweetest Thing. I was about to use it as an example and call it Reggae. But I'd be wrong, of course. :wink:

Ah well, it's not a fight worth dying over. Like I said above, you can see it one way and I'll see it as another. As said before, I simply see pop rock as a much narrower genre than others do.

Everytime I check this thread and there's 7 pages of no news a little part of my soul withers and dies. :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom