A very difficult question...what track from AB would you leave behind?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
I had a fellow U2 fanatic ask me this question recently and I found it very difficult to answer.

Of course my first reaction was that it would be impossible to remove one track from this album - because it is a concept album and the story doesn't flow as well without one of the "chapters".

Regardless, my friend was persistent. "If you had to get rid of one track from Achtung Baby, which would it be?"

Curious to hear what song you guys would "leave behind"...

I guess it won't hurt to say I finally chose WGRYWH. Although I love the song, it's really the only one I think you could remove from the album, and not lose much of the bigger picture.

Still a tough choice.....

All of Achtung Baby is all that you can't leave behind.

What your asking is like asking which finger could I have cut off and still feel like my hand is fully functional.

Chris

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 01-08-2002).]

Odd question. Maybe if you were making a cassette tape and only had so much room, or something like that. I guess Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The world. But the album wouldn't quite sound the same without it.

------------------
Change is the only constant

I never liked "Acrobat"

------------------
~*Mona*~
LOVE me, give me SOUL

A little less circuitry ** A little more poetry

YOU KNOW I BELIEVE IT

Nooo! I love Acrobat!
I think I would get rid of... Tryin' to Throw.
Yeah but this is a sad, sad question.

------------------
"That's the first time we've played that song in... about 15 years." -Bono, after In God's Country - Phoenix 11/23

Homer: There's your giraffe, little girl.
Ralph: I'm a boy!
Homer: That's the spirit. Never give up.

Official L.O.B.P.B.G.G.T.S.H.S.A.E.E of the E.B.O.C

icon29.gif

Originally posted by doctorwho:
This is VERY easy for me. I'd toss out "Trying to Throw..." in a second. Pure crap, as far as I'm concerned - not even b-side material.

Hmmm.... c'mon Doc, how do you really feel?
wink.gif

I have to agree; I've never liked this song very much. I think the lyrics are awkward and the melody is weak.

------------------
...the highway speaks of deserts dry...

Why why why did you have to pose this brain teaser question?? Why? WHY?
wink.gif

This is tough, as Achtung Baby is my favorite record of U2's from start to finish.

Mirroring what Zoocaustic said, Achtung Baby is a definitive concept album and it would be a bit off to throw out any of the "chapters."

I just can't think of any particular song off that record I'd want to leave behind. I just can't. That record is perfection to me.

But I was wondering something though. There's been talk of WGRYWH as being the weakest track off Achtung and I guess I can see it from your point of view. Though it's not my favorite song and tastes are subjective anyway, I (hate to say it) see where some may think this song is the weakest chapter. But all this about ditching (if given the choice in this very difficult situation) The Acrobat! Why leave that song being? I think that song is one of the strongest tracks on Achtung Baby because all the wrestling the protagonist does with himself, his demons, and his surroundings throughout the whole record, everything really comes to a boiling head in The Acrobat. Not my fave song from Achtung, but it rings in a close close second.

To those who voted to leave The Acrobat behind... your thoughts, elaborations?

I don't want to argue because that's just silly and pointless so I'm not directing this question with an alterior motive to be argumentive, but I'm just curious to hear what your thoughts are.
smile.gif

I think I'd drop Zoo Station. But I don't know how I could all the songs are soooo awesome. I still remember the first time I heard Achtung Baby, it mesmerized me. Its the first and maybe the only record I have ever listened to where I loved every song! Not even the Joshua Tree could pull that one off. Its just an amazing disc.

I'd have to say... So Cruel. But WGRYWH second. I liked the track better a few months ago.. but I've gotten a little sick of it.

------------------
Official Bono Ego Defender

"Don't call me Shirley." - Larry

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

! OMG I loveth TTTYAATW and WGRYWH!!!

------------------
~*Mona*~
LOVE me, give me SOUL

A little less circuitry ** A little more poetry

YOU KNOW I BELIEVE IT

Those who know me well around here know that Who's Gonna Ride...is my least favourite U2 song EVER! (although Bono looks damned hot in that video! just too bad I have to listen to it with the volume down!
wink.gif
)

Originally posted by doctorwho:
This is VERY easy for me. I'd toss out "Trying to Throw..." in a second. Pure crap, as far as I'm concerned - not even b-side material.

Oh, I definitely agree. I'm afraid I hate that song. It never fails to annoy me. It took me years to like EVERYTHING else on Achtung, but now I do. I don't listen to WGRYWH very much, and I frequently skip EBTTRT--actually, I often only listen to UTEOTW, So Cruel, The Fly and Mysterious Ways--but I still like those songs reasonably well. I wouldn't be sorry at all to see TTTYAATW go. Replace it with Lady with the Spinning Head--especially the extended dance remix! I know, it's too much like The Fly, but still.

No--the answer is definitely to replace it with Salome!

------------------
Your seven worlds collide
Whenever I am by your side
Dust from a distant sun
Will shower over everyone

-Crowded House

woah i could not imagine achtung baby without zoo station. that's like joshua tree without uh streets, or unforgettable fire without pride.

yeah.

this is a tuff question. i'd leave ultraviolet off.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

I cannot believe all this negative talk about WGRYWH! That is one of my #1 fav U2 songs ever. *sigh* One that I could NEVER leave behind.

But then again, none of AB could be left out.
frown.gif

maybe...ummm....ummmm...NO, I CANNOT DO IT!!!!

When I first saw this question posted I thought it'd be an easy answer - well, as I keep thinking about it, the answer gets further and further away. But thanks to Bebe - I decided to go with my initial thought to stop any more confusion I'd cause in my own head.

My first thought was to get rid of "one".

In my opinion, this tune doesn't fit Achtung Baby. Just my opinion, don't flame me for it. I do love the song. I just never thought it fit. All the other songs seem very fit around seperation, chaos, betrayal, and darkness. Even "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" evokes feelings of jealousy, madness, and lust.

I think "one" may be too warm. Sure it starts off with the whole seperation feeling - but it ends up coming together for an almost religious redemption. I never thought of Achtung Baby as a redemption record, so that's my decision.

One of the hardest U2-esque questions ever thought of - damn you.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

I agree with this - I have still never quite warmed up to WGRYWH - I don't like the intro, and the song really doesn't do much for me...tho I know Bono/Edge had some sort of thing for it and worked on it a long time...sorry guys.
frown.gif

Originally posted by Zoocoustic:
I guess it won't hurt to say I finally chose WGRYWH.

When push comes to shove my least favourite track on AB is TTTYAATW. I don't dislike it, and the live version is really cool, but it comes out on the bottom of the heap.

Although it fits in well with the album, I would have to say that "Zoo Station" is my least favorite song. I guess because it is the first song, I don't really get into the album until it is over. Although, had I been lucky enough to see this song live, I am sure that I would have a different outlook!!!

Not Acrobat!! That is the best song on the cd!!!

Back
Top Bottom