A U2 Puzzle!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cosmicgirl

The Fly
Let's see if anyone gets it right!

i found this on a random non-U2 website:

U2 has a concert that starts in 17 minutes. All the members of the band have to cross a bridge to get to the concert. All four of them start on the west side of the bridge, and all four have to move to the east side. The bridge is small, and at most two band members can cross at a time.

It's night. There's one flashlight. Every group that crosses the bridge (one or two people) must have the flashlight. The flashlight has to be walked across; you can't throw it or float it down the river.

Each band member walks at a different speed. A pair must walk together at the rate of the slower man's pace:

Bono 1 minute to cross
Edge 2 minutes to cross
Adam 5 minutes to cross
Larry 10 minutes to cross

For example, if Bono and Larry walk across first, 10 minutes have elapsed when they get to the east side of the bridge.
If Larry then returns with the flashlight, a total of 20 minutes have passed and the band misses the concert.
Can U2 make the concert? How?

This isn't a trick question. Seriously. I've heard that Microsoft used this question as part of their employment interviews, once upon a time. Interviewees were expected to get the answer in less than five minutes. Can you?

First Bono & Edge cross with torch: 2 minutes
Bono walks back with torch: 1 minute
Larry and Adam cross with torch: 10 minutes
Edge goes back with torch: 2 minutes
Bono and Edge cross: 2 minutes

Total of 17 minutes.

But why the rush, they always start late?
:shrug:

Dunno. here's my theory:

2 minutes for Edge- By much thinking and calculations, he's come up with a new way of walking across quickly.

5 minutes for Adam- He's cool, relaxed, and doesn't see why he has to hurry.

10 minutes for Larry- He stops to check his reflection in the water (gotta keep every last hair in place! ) every few steps.

1 minute for Bono- Rumor has it that the B-man can walk on water...... j/k

Back
Top Bottom