A U2-filled soundtrack album.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMP

Blue Crack Supplier
Pink Floyd did one with More
Queen did Highlander and Flash Gordon.
Plenty of other artists have done it, I just can't think of them right now.

would you be for or against U2 writing original songs or compositions for a film soundtrack?

(not like The Million Dollar Hotel which was a mash of Bono, the MDH Band, U2, and a bad Satellite of Love cover; I'm talking about the whole band.)

And if you say "yes" to the idea, what kind of movie would you like them to score?

Last edited:
Before opening this thread, or even looking at who posted it, I said "MillionDollarHotel", but you're right, it's not technically U2.

I wouldn't mind a movie full of lots of (new, new, new) U2 music, and a soundtrack to boot... but I can see the backlash now. Because apparently publicity, and doing anything not under the radar, is now the highest form of evil in the music industry.

That said, it would have to be a drama. I can't see U2 music working well with any other genre.

Yes! This would be a great idea. What genre would it be?
Hmmm...maybe Bono could try some hip-hop in space with Science Fiction. I don't know, it's impossible to tell where they are going to be in a few years musically. Personally, I hoping if there is another X-Men movie they could write some songs for it. Keep your fingers crossed for Bono's hip-hop abilities to come out when the band does the song, "I'm The Juggernaut Bitch!" :wink:
Seriously though, they might lend a song to the Michael Hutchence movie if they like what they see of it.

I want to see U2 do a soundtrack for some edutainment. :wink:

Why not a movie based on Achtung Baby with said album as the soundtrack. NOOOO!!!!! to Pixar, its just not U2. The soundtrack to a Michael Mann film would suit there artistic sensibilities more.

I would like to see them push their boundaries and attempt a soundtrack for a film like Lord Of The Rings.

waynetravis said:

Yep - it's totally counterintuitive, I agree. I think a song like Tomorrow could easily fit on a LOTR type soundtrack. And they might need an orchestra to accompany them. But I'd really like to hear them do a mystical Celtic soundtrack fit for that type of film.

At this point in their career, I'd see them doing some British rom-com.

:sigh:

Chizip said:
a movie based on zooropa :drool:

I second that :drool:

and your comment on passengers

I wouldn't mind an original soundtracks 2... it would be interesting to see U2 do a film score. but only if it's actually a good movie. something quirky and indie and dark.

I think it would be neat for them to write some songs for a David Lynch film. They could do some songs with jazz and blues in them. I think the melodic music that is signature to Lynch films would take Bono back to Promenade-like vocals. Edge could take some New Orleans elements into the film. Adam and Larry could do different kinds of things with the rhythm section. Overall, it would be neat and since David Lynch films are so dreamlike you would probably see some Passengers and Zooropa qualities come out.

I think U2 and the individual members have done FAR TOO MUCH soundtrack work already:

full soundtrack to Captive
full soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange stage production*
full soundtrack to Million Dollar Hotel
several songs for In the Name of the Father
the album Original Soundtracks (some real, some fictitious)
Batman
James Bond Goldeneye
Honeymoon in Vegas
Mission Impossible
2 alternate tracks for Faraway So Close
End of Violence
Moulin Rouge
Gangs of New York
Good Thief
Tower of Song
perhaps we could count Rattle & Hum as a soundtrack?
I've probably missed some others.

I'd rather U2 focus on full, "proper" albums rather than getting distracted with soundtracks that are generally disposable allbums(when was the last time you dug out a soundtrack album for ANY movie? Pretty in Pink back in '86?).

*however I would like to hear some other tracks from this. I quite like Alex Decends...

ntalwar said:

Yep - it's totally counterintuitive, I agree. I think a song like Tomorrow could easily fit on a LOTR type soundtrack. And they might need an orchestra to accompany them. But I'd really like to hear them do a mystical Celtic soundtrack fit for that type of film.

that would be interesting!

have you heard Bono's song Dying Sailor to His Shipmates from the new Rogue's Gallery album?
that has very deep mystical Celtic tones, its amazing.

You mean the band making music for a whole movie (not just a single song like HMTMKMKM?), no one else?

If it wouldn't interfere with their albums/tours, ok. Probably drama, maybe a sophisticated mystery movie.

U2girl said:
You mean the band making music for a whole movie (not just a single song like HMTMKMKM?), no one else?

If it wouldn't interfere with their albums/tours, ok. Probably drama, maybe a sophisticated mystery movie.

:yes:

I mean them doing the score/soundtrack for an entire movie, no one else.

Maybe I'm insane, but I see a story running throughout their entire 90's output (Passengers excluded). Specifically, there is clearly a theme in Achtung (Two lovers who are having difficulties with trust and betrayal, as evidenced by One, UTEOTW, and Love Is Blindness). A potential theme is less obvious in Zooropa, but elements exist in Zooropa ("She will dream out loud",) The First Time, and possible Daddy's Gonna Pay and Stay. In Pop, we see a feminine character find love (Discothèque, DYFL,) lose love (IGWSHA, SATS,) commit suicide (LNOE,) and have a funeral (Wake Up Dead Man.) Bono himself said that the album begins at a party and ends at a funeral, possible lending credibility to my theory. For a movie, one could assume that the betrayed lover in Achtung becomes the central figure in Pop, with Zooropa a transition from betrayed lover to suicidal woman. Or perhaps we could place AB and Zooropa within the storyline of Pop, around IGWSHA and SATS. Of course, the soundtrack would be a mix of the relevant tracks from the three albums, eliminating irrelevant tracks like Zoo Station, The Fly (maybe,) Numb (though I suppose that could be worked in there,) Playboy Mansion, and such.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom