A Tour for All You Long Time U2 Fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dalton

Blue Crack Addict
Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
So about 6 months ago, I got sick of U2 (happens after every new album) and I stopped listening to them. I didn’t listen to them for around three months and then I started feeling like I wanted to give them a spin, so I decided to go on a U2 tour – and I’m LOVING it.

“What is a U2 tour?”

I’m glad you asked. After ATYCLB came out my buddy and I were talking about how disappointed we were. Not with the album, but with the whole experience. We liked the album (some songs a lot, others not so much – R&H2?), but what was really getting us down was the buzz. We both had begun frequenting U2 message boards and the complete over-analyzation and negativity surrounding the band and the music served to kill the buzz. We talked on night with some friends at a bar about how cool it was when we were younger and a new U2 album would come out (my buddy and I became fans during the War era, the others during JT) and how amazed we were with the (inevitable) new sound the bad was creating. We were all bumming that this go around did not have that experience – so we created a plan to regain the magic – the U2 Tour.

Here’s how it works.

- You spend one month on each album, starting with Boy.
- For the first 15 days of each month you listen to no U2 album except for the new album (much like you do when a new album comes out)
- For the rest of the month, you listen to the current album and any album that came before it (i.e. if you are on War, you listen to War, October, and Boy)
- On the last day of the month, you listen to all the albums back to back
- On the first of the next month, you play the new album

Hokey? Absolutely! But it is a fun thing to do every few years, if you’ve been a fan for a long time. It brings back good memories. Remember how stunned you were by “A Sort of Homecoming” when you put the album on for the first time. How about that opening riff to “Zoo Station” (I LOATHED “The Fly” the first time I heard it) when the last song you had heard was “AIWIY”? Good stuff.

P.S. I posted this around a year ago, but I thought it was time to bring it up again.

Let me know what you think.

Whilst I think it is a nice idea, I think that it is too much of a stretch and I'd become bored very quickly.

The sad thing is, although I would love to reclaim it, you can only have that first time hearing once. Going back through the albums like you describe wouldn't achieve that goal for me.

wideawakeinaus said:
Whilst I think it is a nice idea, I think that it is too much of a stretch and I'd become bored very quickly.

The sad thing is, although I would love to reclaim it, you can only have that first time hearing once. Going back through the albums like you describe wouldn't achieve that goal for me.

I don't listen to only U2 during the stretch, but if that's what floats your boat. Go for it.

Back
Top Bottom