A Second Pop Album From B-Sides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Soar

War Child
Pop (Part ll)

A collection of Pop B-Sides and several Passengers tracks.

1. Pop Muzik (PopMart Mix Radio Edit) 4:04
2. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
3. Holy Joe
4. "Heaven"
5. Big Girls Are Best
6. Elvis Ate America
7. Happiness Is A Warm Gun
8. Slug
9. Your Blue Room
10. I’m Not Your Baby
11. North And South Of The River
12. Miss Sarajevo

Notes:

4. The Howie B. Hairy B. Mix of Discotheque. However, it has different music and lyrics.
5. A song from the Pop recording sessions released on an ATYCLB single.
9. Interestingly released on the Staring At The Sun single.
10. From the Pop recording sessions and released on The End Of Violence Soundtrack.

Hey Lancemc, often I prefer to listen to a CD worth of music (headphones and wine) rather than a specific song or two. Something like this saves me from loading in 10 discs!

Don’t mistake this as a criticism of the original Pop album or a competition with Pop. Its just that Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me is a great tune but it has no home on an album. Also, many U2 fans post about having a great appreciation for Passenger tracks like Your Blue Room (on Interference last week it was voted as the 6th most sexy U2 song), Miss Sarajevo, and Slug. Yet, a lot people do not like the experimental and instrumental Passenger tracks. Elvis Ate America is not one of my favourites but I see it as a commentary on pop culture and, come to think about it, sharing a similarity with the theme of Playboy Mansion. Why leave loved songs on discs infrequently listened to or bother with skipping around a CD? We know that most fans do not like Happiness Is A Warm Gun. Okay, so its this compilation’s version of Miami!

Actually, thinking about a thematic similarity with the original Pop album. North And South Of The River and Please treat the troubles in Northern Ireland and a troubled relationship. I’m Not Your Baby and If God Will Send His Angels deal again with a relationship in difficulty. Last Fall I discovered how Your Blue Room and If You Wear That Velvet Dress were like they were meant to go together. I see a connection between “you want heaven in your heart” in Heaven and “looking for to fill that God shaped hole” in Mofo. Miss Sarajevo and Wake Up Dead Man display a disillusionment and weariness with life. Who knows, maybe other songs from both discs have some theme in common?

Maybe there are some fans who did not know of a couple of these tracks? Maybe some big fans of Pop will like it as collection of Pop era related material? Maybe some who do not care too much for Pop may like this compilation? Maybe some will make a version of Pop by combining tracks from both discs?

U2Soar said:
Pop (Part ll)

A collection of Pop B-Sides and several Passengers tracks.

1. Pop Muzik (PopMart Mix Radio Edit) 4:04
2. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
3. Holy Joe
4. "Heaven"
5. Big Girls Are Best
6. Elvis Ate America
7. Happiness Is A Warm Gun
8. Slug
9. Your Blue Room
10. I’m Not Your Baby
12. Miss Sarajevo

Notes:

4. The Howie B. Hairy B. Mix of Discotheque. However, it has different music and lyrics.
5. A song from the Pop recording sessions released on an ATYCLB single.
9. Interestingly released on the Staring At The Sun single.
10. From the Pop recording sessions and released on The End Of Violence Soundtrack.

This is just the beginning! I made one a while back...

New mix of Gone
LNOE single or remix
LNOE First night in hell
SATS lots of mixes (brothers in ryhthm is great)
IGWSHA single and a remix (don't like either)
Please single
I put Hallellujah (Leonard Cohen cover) b/c it was the same time period and the sound fit with Pops wonderfully)

There is more but don't have the CD handy...

HMTMKMKM does not fit IMO and if anything goes on Zooropa 2, not Pop 2.

Awesome, another Pop to argue about.

Anyone else sort of creeped out by the vocal on the Hairy Howie Mix of "Discotheque"?

Bono contributes similar “creeped out” type of vocals in the song Air Suspension (5:39) on the 2000 album Aural & Hearty by Mocean Worker. Its kind of like Bono dipping his feet in the water of hip hop-like territory (“Heaven, ” Big Girls Are Best, and Elvis Ate America). Not particularly my cup of tea but I do appreciate the exploration of new and different sounds.

For those who may not like these types of songs, how about something that combines Passengers and Million Dollar Hotel tracks along few b-sides and solo Bono projects. In interviews about Passengers and Million Dollar Hotel Bono would talk about trying to make a “blue” or a “purple” mood late night-like album.

Purple

(by Passengers)

1. Neon Lights
2. Satellite Of Love
3. Slug
4. Stateless
5. One Step Closer
6. Your Blue Room
7. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
8. Hallelujah
9. Never Let Me Go
10. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
12. Tomorrow
13. Save The Children
14. What’s Going On
15. Miss Sarajevo
16. Ave Maria

Notes:
2. This the Danny Saber version featuring Bono on vocals and Larry on percussion. Very little “screeching” by Mila which I just removed / edited out. A wonderful “atmosphere” song.
12. Bono and Adam’s 1996 version.

Back
Top Bottom