A Review Of The Best Of That Will REALLY Stir The Pot... - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2002, 05:13 PM   #81
Babyface

Local Time: 01:49 AM
Interesting review.

It seems to me that most casual U2 fans DO only like one era of their music , so it'd be tough to find a rock critic that I didn't disagree with when it comes to the whole span of U2 music.

This guy obviously has listened to U2 enough to make the review worth checking out. His dismissiveness of whole albums is a bit obnoxious,however.

Thanks for the post.

Old 10-25-2002, 12:10 PM   #82
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:49 AM
Well, you've probably heard it all from me already, but I can respect this guy's opinion - even though I disagree with about 75% of what he has to say - more than the opinions of recent fans who have only lived through ATYCLB and think it is U2's best work to date and trash long-time fans for criticizing it.

I'm not bashing new fans - I think it's great that new fans came on board with ATYCLB. But new fans do not have a holistic understanding of the back catalogue - the context, the competition, the climate in which those records came to us.

I would venture to say that most - not all, but most - of us fans who literally grew up on U2 would say that ATYCLB falls flat, all things considered, when stacked up against every U2 album with the possible exception of POP.

Just my $200.00 worth

Old 10-25-2002, 12:57 PM   #83
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:49 AM
wink

Quote:
Originally posted by One Tree Still

Just my $200.00 worth
thats a lot of money...if you know what i mean...
Old 10-25-2002, 03:01 PM   #84
War Child

Local Time: 03:49 AM
I agree with a lot that was said in the review, and I like ATYCLB ok. But it gets knocked on its backside by AB,Zooropa,etc. ATYCLB just sounds so trite in comparison. To me, AB has ten times the soul and class...
Old 10-26-2002, 01:36 AM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by One Tree Still
Well, you've probably heard it all from me already, but I can respect this guy's opinion - even though I disagree with about 75% of what he has to say - more than the opinions of recent fans who have only lived through ATYCLB and think it is U2's best work to date and trash long-time fans for criticizing it.

I'm not bashing new fans - I think it's great that new fans came on board with ATYCLB. But new fans do not have a holistic understanding of the back catalogue - the context, the competition, the climate in which those records came to us.

I'd say that truly great, timeless music stands as great even when removed from its timeframe. I don't think that, just because somebody didn't live through a certain era, his or her opinion of the music is somehow less valid.