A really cool idea for a U2 fan during Zoo tv (i didn't know they did this)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Yesterday i was watching 15 years of MTV Europe programme (hoping to catch the guys) and there was a bit about how U2 during Zoo TV would be sponsored by MTV - and they had a competition.

The winner of the competition was somehow connected via satellite to U2's show in Rotterdam (the winner was from England) and he watched the whole show, but not only that, they also showed how Bono talked to him between the show!!!

Also they added some footage of a very happy winner and a girl in tears moved by the whole thing. Then Bono and Larry were shown on the programme, praising MTV for this and how great it was for U2 to have this sort of present for the fans.

Later they talked about MTV awards (more Bono and Larry), but :lol: first this presenter was shown, talking about 1994 awards in Berlin and how the studio kept telling her U2 was coming by several times but she never saw them.
Larry then said "It's a funny thing with awards and U2: either they invite us or they -- invite us." :lmao:
Bono added how they flew from US to Hamburg to Amsterdam just for the show and back for the 1997 awards.

I think that show was in Stockholm, though I could be wrong. There's a fabulous boot of it called Dancing Zoo TV

U2girl said:
Yesterday i was watching 15 years of MTV Europe programme (hoping to catch the guys) and there was a bit about how U2 during Zoo TV would be sponsored by MTV - and they had a competition.

The winner of the competition was somehow connected via satellite to U2's show in Rotterdam (the winner was from England) and he watched the whole show, but not only that, they also showed how Bono talked to him between the show!!!

Also they added some footage of a very happy winner and a girl in tears moved by the whole thing. Then Bono and Larry were shown on the programme, praising MTV for this and how great it was for U2 to have this sort of present for the fans.

ooh I have this boot. The guy who won was called John and he came from Sutton In Ashfield, near Mansfield in Nottinghamshire. Sutton is 3 miles from where I live, and I've exchanged a few emails with john. He's a lucky bugger!

I remember laughing my head off at the bit where bono asks john where he works and he says 'pretty polly' (a local company that makes stockings and stuff) and bono says 'you work at a knicker factory?" Loads of people round here worked at pretty polly....

and all the way through this his girlfriend is screaming in the background 'I LOVE YOU BONO!!!!!'

:lol: :lmao:

people from round where I live are so classy...... :lol: (including me of course! :wink:

Lu

Yes, John Harris is a very dear friend of mine, and he runs a very good fanzine called Elevator (and has had Bono and Edge pose on the cover numerous times!).

He has posted here once or twice (U2sheriff), but isn't around that much. He has since met U2 SO MANY TIMES....but he loves the band so much it's hard to get TOO jealous. ;)

He is also a very good photographer, here is a link to his site if you are interested.

http://www.u2sheriff.homestead.com

Just wanted to say...U2Land is getting smaller and smaller, LOL, I mean not one but two people here actually know this guy.

In fact I do think Planet Earth is not enough for U2. ;)

follower said:
In fact I do think Planet Earth is not enough for U2. ;)

LOL! How right you are about this! I met John quite by accident, a propaganda pen pal referred him to me as someone who might have a bootleg I was interested in....and I was totally blown away when I found out that this was the guy in one of my fave recordings!

Back
Top Bottom