A rare performance of One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Edgette said:
Well, rare for me at any rate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx1N1o0Kep8

Does anyone have any information about this one?

This performance happened on 31st January 1993, inbetween the ZOO TV days. The US-leg 'Outside Boradcast' had been shut down two months ago – and U2 were concentrating on their forthcoming European leg to start in Rotterdam in early May.
In these days – as unfortunately today – political radicalism and rassism on the street were big issues. So a "Festival against racism" took place in one of Germany's most prestigous locations: the 'Thalia Theater' in Hamburg. On the 2nd night of this 'get together' Bono & The Edge performed – supported by a local drummer and the amous violinist Jo Shankar.

As you can see in the TV broadcast everything was very spontaneous at least for U2's megalomaniac measures: no big stage, a hop on/off the stage for the various performers/speakers (also Bono was invited for a speech the day before), sound problems (the guitar 'blow' at the beginning was rather funny).
But more important: It was a statement then – and still is today. Bono with his Fly-shades & Edge showed that under the surface of media overload and irony, there still was the sincere side of U2 – a hint for what was to come with the Macphisto persona and political European shows openly directed against growing neo-nacism, racism and violence. So, for all of you, who might get 'bored' with Bono talking about political and social issues today – you might forget, that this has always been part of U2, deeply rooted in the soul of the band & their performances.

As now, then I actually was very enthusiastic about the stripped down performance of "One". The violin gave it a kind elegic, mourning atmosphere fitting perfectly the sometimes cruel meaning of the lyrics, underlining the meldoy of sorrow and the festival's issue. Still I wish, U2 would play with "One"' – a song they obviously "have" to play to their audiences in concerts – and its live arrangement, like they tried then. And I remember, I really did hope for an acoustic version switched with the electric version and for a changing slot in the rather staple ZOO TV setlist. I guess such a version on the B-stage must have nailed it ...

And: The band enjoyed this musica experiment so much, that Jo Shankar made another appearance on a U2 stage in '93: During the spectacular Wembley shows he joined the band during the song, U2 played after the shocking satellite link with the sieged Sarajewo – "Bad", one of the tune's legendary performances.

Here the violins sound really bad. He also played Bad with them on the 12. August 1993 in London, which is a great version.

holy shit. I got a wicked chill when he hit the 'love is a temple' part...that is fucking brilliant..live and raw rock n roll right there. no vocal effects, no band behind you to lean on... hear Bono's falsetto? wow.

as for the violin, i think too many are looking for a 'technical fit' here..and clearly he's taking interpretive liberty...i think if Bono had let him breathe a bit on the solo and let it play out a bit more it would have tied it together better....maybe Bono was nervous/self concious or just trying to hold it together by doing the song as he had been all tour :shrug:

thanks for sharing that! :)

Last edited:
untitledtn8.png

:der:

xaviMF22 said:
DO NOT LET U2Man anywhere near this thread :yikes:
And the worst part is, he's looking down at a hamburger someone left on the floor and he's thinking of eating it.

The Disciple said:

Love is BALDNESS, I don't wanna see....

:lol:
Yep, it started then – as you could see on stage during the gigs, too. But time stops for nobody, folks (*smile*) ...

The hair plugs were called in from Dublin for an air drop around that time I think :drool:

yes because everyone who is insulting someone else is 100% perfect right?, but yet if someone in the street was to insult you..... well another story i guess

Some people can't distinguish an insult from a little joke. Plus, U think Bono really sits here, reading this crap, sweating little comments like that. Nobody said anything 2 insult anyone.

Let's not get into an argument about Bono's looks. There's no need for this thread to turn into another fight on that.

Back
Top Bottom