a question about tickets on ebay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2 sweetestgirl

The Fly
Hi everyone

Michael Eavis - the organiser of the UK festival 'Glastonbury' - took out an injunction, or something similar, to stop touts (which could include the ordinary fan honestly selling tickets due to circumstances) auctioning tickets for his festival with his reason being something along the lines of that they're making money out of 'real' fans misfortune on missing out on tickets due to touts being ahead of them in the queue and only buying the tickets for monetary gain :blahblah:

My question is wether there is something similar in the pipeline for the upcoming tour and have the band been approached about it?

The pros would be fans not getting ripped off!

The cons would be fans not being able to buy tickets for 'special' concerts or concerts in other parts of the world (without travelling and relying on buying tickts from touts outside the concert).

I'm not too sure if I'm for or against it :hmm: :confused:

What do others think?

Sadly there are people who buy up tickets they do not want in order to sell them online for a profit. This is a bad thing for everyone, the fan, the artist, music in general. Unfortunately, sometimes they have bought up so many that it's the only way you can find the ones you need. Sorry, I believe most of the ones who sell online are 'scalpers.' Usually when a good person has to sell their tickets because they cannot attend, they sell in private to someone they know, at cost. I even bought some tickets off a guy I met online once, because he was suddenly unable to attned, and he did not ask for one cent over cost. He could have put them on ebay for a profit, but a real fan with a feel for the band and its fans don't usually do that. So yeah, I believe most who sell on ebay are in it for money, and some might even lie about why they are selling the tickets.

I bought tickets to quite a couple of shows on Ebay last tour.

It was the only way I was able to get the tickets I wanted (GA) to these shows and I was lucky enough to be able to afford this method. Luckily, they were all authentic and I didn't get ripped off.

When I had a ticket to sell though, I just brought it to a show and sold at cost to another fan.

As much as I, theoretically, dislike the idea of buying/selling tickets on ebay, I have used it - both to buy and sell. When I sold, it was not to make money - just to prevent losing too much when I couldn't use some baseball tickets I bought.

As for buying, for those of us who a) don't live in a market where U2 will visit and/or b) have lives/jobs that don't allow us to be on the phone/online/in line for long periods of time trying to buy tickets, it may be the only way to get a ticket. At this point in my life - frankly, I'm grateful for it. I missed seeing U2 for years and years because I couldn't get tickets. Now I can.

sadly, there will always be brokers, scalpers etc who will take away good tickets and sell them for their own gain. However there is some people like myself who depend on scalpers. On the David Bowie reality tour this year, I saw 9 shows and had to buy them all from scalpers 'cause i was working when tickets went on sale and you're not allowed on the net at work until break and by then, all the good tickets were either gone or sold out. I am more likely going to have to count on scalpers this tour around.

Usually when a good person has to sell their tickets because they cannot attend, they sell in private to someone they know, at cost. I even bought some tickets off a guy I met online once, because he was suddenly unable to attned, and he did not ask for one cent over cost. He could have put them on ebay for a profit, but a real fan with a feel for the band and its fans don't usually do that. [/B]

I can understand your point of view but sometimes you have no choice but to put it on e-bay. I had to sell one of my Bowie tickets and the show was slowly approaching and I had to sell on-bay so that I can get someone who really wanted to buy it, get it instead of finding someone and worrying if they were going to flake out on me. My ticket happen to go for $20 higher than the face value 'cause there was a bidding war and the first person wasn't smart enough to use the "buy it now" feature.

isabelle_guns said:

...I had to sell one of my Bowie tickets and the show was slowly approaching and I had to sell on-bay so that I can get someone who really wanted to buy it, get it instead of finding someone and worrying if they were going to flake out on me. My ticket happen to go for $20 higher than the face value 'cause there was a bidding war and the first person wasn't smart enough to use the "buy it now" feature.

Firstly, Bowie!Good taste - I saw the tour in the UK and he was better than ever!Like a teenager again!:drool: :drool:

Secondly, imagine the bidding war a U2 ticket would throw up!!!!

I hope the band aren't getting any ideas from this post - we all know they either browse the forums (or get somone to do it for them) from time to time - maybe looking for clues to the missing CD:wink:

Ebay has it's pros and cons. I've used it to sell u2 tix last time around at the same cost to me. I've also used scalpers to get the tickets I want. In the end though it really depends on the person and wether the experience is worth the money or not. :wave:

:wink: Well, i suppose this is the way, as was stated before, for those of us that are not in that area. say.."Glastonbury"-I would go on e-bay if I had to to see U2, since they have confirmed they will play it! I would like to see them there-and in Ireland, again, since i missed Slane! I have been know to travel to see U2, and it all goes alot better knowing I have my ticket with me-u know? :wink:

u2 sweetestgirl thanks for the compliments on taste and I know what you mean by browsing on the boards but either way, u2 is a hot ticket.

I agree with Tech, it is worth it for me to get front row or better and pay the $$$ money for the experience.

I completely understand forbono4u...tickets in hand is a good thing. I am not talking about those e-printed ticket, I mean actual tickets.

Look for Ticketmaster's new auction style ticket selling coming soon to a venue near you.

No joke. Oh, and usually only about 5 to 10 percent of tickets go on sale the day of the show. Scalpers rely on many techniques to get those seats, but mostly it is just bulk. They have the capitol to buy up as many and any tickets as possible.

Ebay is a good thing I think, I am willing to pay for the ticket I WANT if I don't get what I want at on sale. I will pay the premium, even though it is a terrible thing. But, this guy has the ticket, and I want it. I do what it takes, and most of the time you are able to weed out the head hunters out there and find the simple guy in his apartment just trying to cover his cost and pay for a beer at the show.

eh, what do I know.

Back
Top Bottom