A Public Apology To Everyone ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jick

Refugee
(NOTE: I'm sure sure which forum to post this so I posted this here, in the general discussion. Moderators, please move it accordingly then delete this note once you have moved it)

I started a thread yesterday saying Edge's guitar-playing is overrated in Vertigo. It drew the usual reactions of agreements and disagreements (and some personal attacks that really shouldn't have been there). Unfortunately, the Edge replied (if that is indeed the real Edge) and he may have said things that some did not agree with. This actually made some look at Edge in a bad light. It is ALL MY FAULT for putting Edge in that position. I understand Edge is quite passionate about his work and he is a 100% class act. I never doubted his talent or genius, I never doubted the person. I just doubted the the fans reaction to Edge's guitar playing for that particular song, which I felt was overrated.

It is just now I read through the entire thread. I was replying to the replies in page 4 of the thread before my internet connection got cut, so up to that point I even didn't get to read the Edge's reply. Upon reading it all in full now, I appreciate the efforts of the mods to keep the thread alive until I would have responded to the issues presented there. Unfortunately, I only got to respond up to the issues on page 4. So now is my response to the rest of the thread. I also think it is for the benefit of all that the thread was finally closed.

I have nothing against the Edge making the analogy with terrorism. I feel it was ALL my fault. I should have rechecked the first post to clarify things and make my tone less brutal. I think my post may have inadvertently provoked him and all the people in this board, even the moderator Elvis who is a class act also for hosting my wallpapers in the past.

I do love Vertigo a lot. It is a great catchy song. I think now is a happy time for U2 fans - as it seems Vertigo has reunited the POP and ATYCLB fans. I think if I continue starting threads in this forum, I may be misinterpreted again and will have to backpedal to explain myself. It is harder coming from a country where English is not your first language. So I will resolve from now on to refrain from starting threads that may be misinterpreted as having negative connotations. If I have opinions that I feel might be unfavorable, I will keep my keyboard shut. Now is not a good time to contribute to possibly negative vibes since I can observe that everyone in this forum is now in a positive state afer being energized by Vertigo to no end (me included).

While I maintain that I have not violated any forum rules, and I insist that I am the biggest U2 fan in my country (haven't met a more hardcore fan that me yet!) - I am willing to take any punishment or banishment the moderators will give me. It is so embarrassing for me to have the Edge respond like that to me, considering I have such a high respect for him. It is like God telling me that I have sinned - I am ashamed at all this but I feel I deserve it. Considering I am perhaps the most vocal forum member from my country (which U2 has not visited yet), I am afraid I might put my country in a bad light and make others here look down on Filipinos. My country also has their fair share of terrorists, and I personally experienced one of the bombings in our biggest mall back in May 2000. I am so deeply embarrassed and ashamed for everything.

So I am sorry to everyone - fellow interferencers, moderators, and band members. And I leave it to the wisdom of the moderators here to give me what I deserve.

Cheers,

J

PS You are entitled to your opinions just as much as anyone else.

Just sometimes its best to wait for the right time. Loike I wouldnt make any negative comments about Bonos hair right now either :uhoh:

Last edited:
Oh okay. Now I apologise.

No he didnt need to apologise

Yes he did raise some good points

I will now leave this thread before I feel the need to start my own apology thread :uhoh:

Carry on Jick. PS Why dont you fly down to Brisbane for the next tour?

maybe I should move this to the U2 news forum or something

I'm sure you do know though that the problems that have occured have nothing to do with your opinion
having your own opinion is much appreciated
your initial posts tend to be filled with bias nonsense that the result always is that you spend the rest of the thread backpeddling on it

so if you really just state your own opinion then stick to it unless you've changed your mind

if - hypothetically of course - you're not just stating your own opinion but are mainly trying to get a rise out of people then do that somewhere else

jick, shut up. you did nothing wrong and im sick of reading all the negative comments and hatred toward you.
what in the FUCK is the matter with you people. jick made a simple statement and the whole board collapses on top of him. and what gets under my skin is that he was POLITE about everything the ENTIRE TIME. he said that the edge wasnt very innovative in vertigo and that peoples reactions were overrated.
WOW, how could he?!?!???? get a grip people. it was a observation made from a fan's point of view. some of you acted like he had a gun to bonos head (or a lit dynamite stick ). :rolleyes: i was reeaally hoping edge wouldnt reply to that thread and that if he did he would defend a fans opinion but he instead chose to spread the fire. HEY EDGE, he couldve showed his teeth but he didnt, everyone came at him but he kept his cool, everything cant be creme puffs and lolipops, without a little agression people become vulnerable, they become soft and expect rubber padded playgrounds and when one bumps their pwetty liwwell head they either become frightened or lash out at the most minute situation or comment. from what i read, jick didnt deserve any of the treatment he got much less a comparison to a terrorist. christ all mighty

and no, i dont know what jick has stated before in previous threads, all i know is this one. if anyone has the power to quote the best of jicks hatred in this thread, please do. until then, i cant imagine him being any different than he was today, some people just see things in a half empty perspective, not everyones glass is overflowing. ive enjoyed browsing this forum for a few years now and getting into a few "debates" but this ordeal has trully turned my stomach and i can only hope tomorrow, when i wake up, my fascination with the edge isnt tarnished, because i really love this band, they evoke feelings within that no other band seems capable of doing.

Jick first off it takes a big person to apologise regardless of weither others thought you needed to or not and I can appreciate that very much. I dont doubt you are a great U2 fan I think sometimes your posts come across in bad light and have a tendency to stir people up. In this forum emotions run high fans of U2 have a relationship with the band like non I have witnessed which is so nice to see and sometimes things are said in the heat of the moment or taken the wrong way people get defensive or maybe protective.

Having said that you can't be blind to the emotion some of your posts often stir up, you have to have seen that it gets a rise out of people and pushes buttons and that carries on to everything you post. My thing is if you know your post is deliberatly going to start a ruckuss what do you get out of that whats the point in intstigating. Now of course all are fully entitled to their opinions as you are too and I hope indeed that non of what you do is intentional but rather just opinion. I just think knowing your opion sometimes aggrovates maybe there is a better way to get your thoughts across.

But jick mostly I just hope your alright,you know people look after each other around this place I have come to see and nobody wants you to feel in a bad way. So be well and be happy, and you shouldnt shy away from your opinions but just try to take into consideration how it's going to come out to others. Maybe there is a way of just being a bit less heavy..

Last edited:
don't worry about it Jick. And don't for one minute think that that is really Edge posting.

IMHO this is absurd!

We all like U2

Don't take life so seriously.. please :heart:

Jick,

Have read a lot of your post over the years - am much more a lurker than a poster...

I think most people get riled by your posts because no matter how good a song is, you tend to try to find something negative with it - i.e. Edge's guitar playing in Vertigo - a song you have confessed to loving! - why not write a post that looks at the positive aspects of the song/music rather than the minor negative details?

I think a lot of people do find your posts interesting - well thought out arguements etc - however, I suspect with most U2 fans, the glass is always half full, rather than half empty. There's too much negativity going on in your posts!!

Btw, takes a brave man to argue against the legions here - takes an even braver man to apologise.

whew guys this is getting heavy!

yeah, Jick, I'm a newbie, oh goodness I'm feeling an attack of Moulin Rouge quoting coming on...I'm subject to those...

Love is like oxygen!

Love is a many splendored thing!

All you *need* is love!

sorry about that...
insomnia again...

If it took a reply from the actual man whose actual work and loving expression you tend to dismiss in a haze of negative energy to make you realize how your style can be off-putting,then consider yourself shown the light!

If it's really not seriously evilly cooly calculated baiting you're up to, then you're lucky to have been given this opportunity to come back into a warm embrace..

love and peace to all and to all a good night!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom