A Novel Idea: The U2 appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you, ZeroDude-excellent post :up:.

It still amazes me to think that they've been hanging out together as a band for 29 years, and realizing everything they've accomplished in that entire time. Wow. Truly amazing.

Also, since we're talking about songs from The Joshua Tree...once again, people, "Trip Through Your Wires", damnit. It's a good song. Hmph.

And "With Or Without You" is just classic :drool:.

I listened to "Angel Of Harlem" the other day. Had a lot of fun singing along :yes: :D.

:heart: :bono: :edge: :adam: :larry: :up:.

Angela

Diane L said:
One of the very best songs the band has ever done, "Mercy," didn't make the cut for their latest album.

"Mercy" is better than just about any released recorded song by any other band, ever.

That says it all.

Word.

U2 is amazing. They're unparalleled, really. How many other bands have been around for 29 years with the original lineup, including manager? How many other bands could sell out 7 shows at MSG and still have people that want tickets? How many other bands made the album Pop?

That's what I thought.

It's what sometimes gets really missed here....................a really U2 appreciation thread!! U2, 4 guys, 4 men, 4 incredible artists, 4 true dream makers.............................

A rare band that have broken down the barriers between band and audience, stars and fans, politics and music, love and peace - and, of course, rock and roll!

Legends.

I don't even have words to describe how much I love them! I think that they're the best thing that has ever existed! THE BEST THING, out of ALL THINGS. :uhoh: :hmm: :hyper: :combust: :bow: I am not even kidding..
But of course I listen to other music too and think "Yeah, this is great, I love this!" But when I listen to U2, it feels like I'm coming home.. Every-single-time! :heart:

Well, this wouldn't be a true interference thread if there wasn't a shift from Joshua Tree worship to Achtung Baby rebellion. So allow me to kick-start it.

fucking Acrobat. Holy shit. Possibly the most heavy-sexy-scary song U2 has laid to tape.:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: Goosebump-inducing

sofia you brought some tears to my eyes with your comment
its so true!
U2's the best thing thats ever happened:bow:

Acrobat is one of the greatest songs ever imo along with Red Hill Mining Town they own my soul:wink:

ShellBeThere said:
What a brilliant fucking start to their newest 'phase' (whatever that means) after Pop to have the first words of the first track be 'the heart is a bloom..' and all that comes after...

I never even thought about that...now I'm feeling all...inspired, and stuff.

tryin to throw your arms around the world is so amazing live that I even wrote out the whole title just to show my love for it.

:bow:

U2 are the only band that have the power to wield so much emotion within me. I do listen to quite a lot of other music, but sometimes it just feels a bit cold. Now, U2 aren't exactly without their share of cold music, but a large majority of their work really strikes home. If I've had a shitty day, I've got U2. If I've had an amazing day, I've got U2. And that's what I love most about them.

It's hard to believe I've only been a fan for five years and a bit. It feels like it has been far longer than that...I really envy those of you who discovered the band in the 80s and the early 90s. You were able to witness all the wonderful transformations that the band went through. I'd kill to have that! You know, people sometimes complain about U2 killing off their favourite aspect of their music through their transformations. You have no idea how lucky you are! You got to experience the heady highs of The Joshua Tree, the sheer brilliance of Zoo TV, the magnificent spectacle of PopMart... Those of us who came late to the game can only look back on those time periods and wish our parents had taken our five-year-old selves to at least one Zoo TV show, because we know it would have blown our minds even then. Really, you have no idea how lucky you are. I'm just so glad that U2 didn't decide to pack it in after Pop. Sure, ATYCLB isn't the greatest album. HTDAAB has its weak tracks. But without those albums, there wouldn't be new, young fans to continue the legacy. If, at the age of thirteen, I hadn't heard Beautiful Day in high rotation when it saw its debut in 2000, I'd still probably be listening to Bon Fucking Jovi or Matchbox 20. Or I'd have become a U2 fan even later, and that would have been terrible. I mean, hearing Beautiful Day was such a cathartic experience. I hated it at first, because everyone else at my school did...but as much as I wanted to deny it, I couldn't stop myself from rushing to the TV whenever I heard those first four chords. That was the song that compelled me to dust off the guitar that my parents had bought me earlier on in the year. That was the song that marked the beginning of such a wonderful journey. It was so exciting to drive two hours into town to slowly complete the collection...for a year at least, there was always a new album to get, new songs to fall in love with again and again. I'm sad that that particular part of it is over, but there's always the next new album to look forward to.

Now, I'm really rambling. I guess I just wanted to say I agree with the original post...I never joined Interference to whine about the fact that U2 aren't being experimental anymore, to bitch about setlists, to constantly have to defend Pop against people who aren't willing to give it a chance, to constantly have to defend their latest work against people who aren't willing to give it a chance, or to argue over such petty things as Bono's hair and the cover of HTDAAB. I joined this place because I love U2. And because the original Zootopia went and got all weird on me when they stopped being turquoise. :wink:

GibsonGirl said:
U2 are the only band that have the power to wield so much emotion within me. I do listen to quite a lot of other music, but sometimes it just feels a bit cold. Now, U2 aren't exactly without their share of cold music, but a large majority of their work really strikes home. If I've had a shitty day, I've got U2. If I've had an amazing day, I've got U2. And that's what I love most about them.

It's hard to believe I've only been a fan for five years and a bit. It feels like it has been far longer than that...I really envy those of you who discovered the band in the 80s and the early 90s. You were able to witness all the wonderful transformations that the band went through. I'd kill to have that! You know, people sometimes complain about U2 killing off their favourite aspect of their music through their transformations. You have no idea how lucky you are! You got to experience the heady highs of The Joshua Tree, the sheer brilliance of Zoo TV, the magnificent spectacle of PopMart... Those of us who came late to the game can only look back on those time periods and wish our parents had taken our five-year-old selves to at least one Zoo TV show, because we know it would have blown our minds even then. Really, you have no idea how lucky you are. I'm just so glad that U2 didn't decide to pack it in after Pop. Sure, ATYCLB isn't the greatest album. HTDAAB has its weak tracks. But without those albums, there wouldn't be new, young fans to continue the legacy. If, at the age of thirteen, I hadn't heard Beautiful Day in high rotation when it saw its debut in 2000, I'd still probably be listening to Bon Fucking Jovi or Matchbox 20. Or I'd have become a U2 fan even later, and that would have been terrible. I mean, hearing Beautiful Day was such a cathartic experience. I hated it at first, because everyone else at my school did...but as much as I wanted to deny it, I couldn't stop myself from rushing to the TV whenever I heard those first four chords. That was the song that compelled me to dust off the guitar that my parents had bought me earlier on in the year. That was the song that marked the beginning of such a wonderful journey. It was so exciting to drive two hours into town to slowly complete the collection...for a year at least, there was always a new album to get, new songs to fall in love with again and again. I'm sad that that particular part of it is over, but there's always the next new album to look forward to.

Now, I'm really rambling. I guess I just wanted to say I agree with the original post...I never joined Interference to whine about the fact that U2 aren't being experimental anymore, to bitch about setlists, to constantly have to defend Pop against people who aren't willing to give it a chance, to constantly have to defend their latest work against people who aren't willing to give it a chance, or to argue over such petty things as Bono's hair and the cover of HTDAAB. I joined this place because I love U2. And because the original Zootopia went and got all weird on me when they stopped being turquoise. :wink:

GibsonGirl, you rock! :hug: :up: There's nothing to add!

GibsonGirl said:

Great post, Gibson Girl! You summed it up beautifully! :up:

GibsonGirl said:

Excellent. Post. :applaud: :up:.

That is all :).

Angela

Back
Top Bottom