A new review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2_Guy said:
Yea, carry on.

I'm out of Interference for good.

I'm sure nobody will miss my negativism, arrogance, ignorance.

I'm doing everybody a favour, in fact.

Here even if we praise U2 as the best band ever, even if we say the new album will be good (won't be great for U2 standards though), ppl still think it's not enough.

And who am i, right powersurge? I live in Brazil (you probably know about Brazil as much as you know about Portugal or Uganda), i don't have english as my mother language and i know about rock music as much as an american knows about samba...

I'm back to atu2. That's where ppl like me belong.

Ciao bello!
Ah, the blue crack will pull you right back. :wink: But seriously though, how can you possibly say "the new album...won't be great for U2 standards," without even listening to it???? This just baffles me. You're not being critical. You're being blind.

Come on guys, its gonna be a bummer of a record if your a fan of their 90's music, but if you prefer their 80's stuff then it will be your favourite record of all time! It's all falling in to place!:wink:

super fly guy said:

And when exactly did the stones turn shit? I think everybody should just calm down why would U2 make a crap album now after all these years? It doesnt make sense, there is no way it will be there best but it will come close.

Calm down sport! maybe "shit" was a bit strong, but I think they haven't really progressed their music or had memorable songs in about the last 20 years or so...my point is that the last u2 album had plenty of memorable tunes, and they still did things they hadn't done before..it was certainly not a retread.

Last edited:
Btw, the french article somebody posted said that "Sometimes you can't make it on your own" is going to be the next single.

They also said that while the album isn't really innovative, it's the culmination of all the music from U2 we're used to hearing. Something along the lines of that.

U2_Guy said:

Aren't you the typical american? tsc tsc...

Arrogance...and ignorance...they walk hand in hand in "America" today...

Actually I AM Portuguese, originally from outside the northern city of Oporto home of the UEFA cup champion Dragoes....I moved here a long time ago....

would you like a soda to swallow your words now?:wink:

The biggest contradiction of all is that fans of Achtung Baby love it because, among other things, it sounds totally different than their prior work...yet those same fans want a record that sounds just like it, thus negating the very reason they hold it up so highly in the first place!

Sleep Over Jack said:

Calm down sport! maybe "shit" was a bit strong, but I think they haven't really progressed their music or had memorable songs in about the last 20 years or so...my point is that the last u2 album had plenty of memorable tunes, and they still did things they hadn't done before..it was certainly not a retread.

I know what you are saying and you are probably right, but it was a shock to me to read a bad review of HTDMATB.

PowerSurge said:
Last time I checked Portugal is not a musical hotbed....

Its like getting a review about a Broadway show from Uganda...

I mean c'mon, not that I can't read a bad review, but it seems pretty much based on points contrary to EVERY other review, so I'd pass on this one.

Sure its not a musical "hot-bed" in terms of producing commercially successful / critically acclaimed musicians but at least Portugal hasn't produced the Backstreet Boys, Nsync, New Kids on the Block, The Spice Girls, Boyzone, Roxette, Michael Bolton etc. etc. etc. :wink:

But seriously, please don't dismiss the review because of where it came from... can you read Portuguese? How do you know its really that negative? Honestly, this review seems more "objective" to me than many of the others... the author is basically telling us that it has its moments after a first listen but that it will be more of a "grower". I don't see this as being any less realistic a review than those that say this is up there with U2's best work upon just one listen! I don't know about you but in my case U2's best work took years to establish itself... it was only after a couple years that I was able to evaluate ATYCLB vs. prior releases and I'm sure that HTDAAB will be the same. So for some journalist to say that HTDAAB will be a third masterpiece or whatever after just one listen is as irresponsible and condescending as someone who trashes the album after one listen. :mad:

Sorry for the rant :(

I wish the album came out today so we could make up our own minds.

Michael Griffiths said:

haha, sorry. With everyone being so defensive these days, I automatically thought it was me. Yeah, you damn lazy Americans...never going that extra distance....sheer incompentence! :wink:

Ok I was being nice before. That just threw me over "the edge"

FYM!!!:wink:

So...great review, huh.:wink:

Take this review with a grain of salt. We are all jumping at every piece of information we get about the album and overanalyzing it. Reviews of past U2 albums have always included comparisons to older U2 songs and albums, which for the most part, end up being complete bullshit.

Beautiful Day was often compared to WTSHNN.....very little resemblence.

Stuck In A moment compared with ISHFWILF...both long titles...who cares?

Elevation would have sounded OUT OF PLACE on Achtung Baby...yeah, I said it. AB was always mentioned when this song was reviewed.

New York sounds like Exit...never got this one, yeah, both have a quiet section and build slowly.....nothing else.

Anyways, those are just my opinions....and they are not fact, which is exactly what this review is not...it's opinion. Simmer down!

Michael Griffiths said:
The biggest contradiction of all is that fans of Achtung Baby love it because, among other things, it sounds totally different than their prior work...yet those same fans want a record that sounds just like it, thus negating the very reason they hold it up so highly in the first place!

This is a good point..I think an Achtung Baby retread would be as redundant as any attempt to recreat Joshua Tree, because as much as I love those albums, they came from a certain time and place, which affected the band and thus the songs, so attempting to recreate that would be futile and potentially embarassing. I'm personally hoping they expand the ATYCLB concept of big, solid songs but make the album more consistent and ambitious.

I think we should all take a moment and contemplate the loss of U2_Guy from the forum and all of his positive insights into all things that he knows so much about. He will be sorely missed. :sad:

PowerSurge said:
Oh, did I offend? Must have. Anyway, I would suspect Portugal is quite musically savvy. Maybe not in producing over the top blonde pop bands, but I'm sure they know and love their music equally as anyone in, say, New York or Vancouver, BC does.

PowerSurge said:
Last time I checked Portugal is not a musical hotbed....

Its like getting a review about a Broadway show from Uganda...

wtf i'm portuguese and i couldn't believe when i saw this comment. just because the people who heard it didn't find the album perfect you start to insult the whole country.
Get a life.

bsp77 said:
I think we should all take a moment and contemplate the loss of U2_Guy from the forum and all of his positive insights into all things that he knows so much about. He will be sorely missed. :sad:

Actually he's still here....

Please come back u2guy!

Is it not a fact that most of the USA were not fans of U2 in the 90's and have all been waiting for a Joshua Tree 2? Isn't that why ATYCLB sold a lot of copies in the USA and Pop didn't cos it was more back to their 80's sound.

FullonEdge2 said:

Actually he's still here....

Please come back u2guy!

Yeah, really U2_Guy come back. It's really lonely over at that other forum, you'd be waiting hours for a response.

At least here there is immediate gratification.

rjhbonovox said:
Is it not a fact that most of the USA were not fans of U2 in the 90's and have all been waiting for a Joshua Tree 2? Isn't that why ATYCLB sold a lot of copies in the USA and Pop didn't cos it was more back to their 80's sound.

But my point is that ATYCLB wasn't a retread of the '80s..only bits of BD and Walk On sound '80s U2 to me.

rjhbonovox said:
I don't think it's as cut and dry as that. America loved Achtung Baby and even digested quite a bit of Zooropa as far as I can tell. I do know that Pop didn't do so well in America after 'Disco...' took its nose dive. Oddly enough Pop did quite well in Canada, though.

Last edited:
ramblin rose said:

Yeah, really U2_Guy come back. It's really lonely over at that other forum, you'd be waiting hours for a response.

At least here there is immediate gratification.

Yeah, no kidding! It seems like there's all of ten people on that forum. Despite what you may read, you are still appreciated (by most).

Back
Top Bottom