A new review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Were going to Portugal to sort em out.......................... ( guns, horse's are ready, just say the word)

OH MY GOD -- they said this album wasn't the best one ever, therefore it SUCKS!!! Why oh why should I bother even buying it when it comes out??? Someone in Portugal said it wasn't perfect, so why should I waste my time? The world is coming to an end. U2 should break up now, so they won't be embarrassed that someone didn't think every song on first listening isn't their best ever.

Wait -- I'm re-reading the other reviews -- this is actually the best album they ever did!!! I think we should carry the band on our shoulders because they have reached perfection!!! Nevermind that we have yet to hear the album, everyone else's opinion matters more, especially at a single listening! I know EXACTLY what it sounds like now! Boy, October, War, UF, JT, AB, Zooropa, Pop, and ATYCLB, with some R&H, UABRS, and every other live track, not to mention all their B sides!!! I'm not gonna buy it, because it sounds like all the best and worst of everything they've ever done!!! Plus some new stuff!!! Arrrgghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are our lives so empty?

I had to get this off my chest.

First of all, they never said it was a bad album. They said it wasn't the best. Does that mean it's bad? No. It's U2 people. We've heard three great songs and clips of 2 completely awesome sounding songs. Three of which sound like rock songs. We're getting at least three rockers.

And who cares if most of the songs aren't real rockers? Has it stopped U2's album's from being classic in the past? Are ANY of their best songs rockers? I don't think so. The Unforgettable Fire had one rock song, The Joshua Tree had one or two, AB had about five, Zooropa had one (!!), Pop had six (yeah that's alot) and ATYCLB had maybe two. I'm betting we'll get 4 on HTDAAB. How many rock songs are on an album has no bearing on wheather it's good or not.

Also, you can't write an accurate review on an album you have only heard once!!! We all know this. You need to take the time to let songs sink in. You need time to apply the songs personally. You need time to get used to the more obscure, less catchy songs. EVERY single U2 album won't sound as good on the first listen and we all know that.

Plus this is only one review. It's not even bad, it's just not glowing like the others. We know we're getting a darn good U2 album really soon.

ZeroDude said:
Were going to Portugal to sort em out.......................... ( guns, horse's are ready, just say the word)

Leave them alone!!! They're still recovering from Euro2004... (I'm of Portuguese decent so I can relate!)

Its too bad I'm at work otherwise I could translate the artical (I'm pretty fluent in Portuguese) :(

Sounds like a couple of diehard AB fans didn't hear anything remotely like AB and were thrown off by that. I wonder if age is any factor in all of these reviews.

Lo-Fi said:
Ah man, it sounds as if it is a mid-tempo record. That's pretty disappointing. I had a feelin' that was gonna be the case with it. I wonder what happend to the rock 'n' roll record they were meant to be making (I really wish they'd make another one!).

Does anyone else feel U2 make too many mid-tempo/slow songs now? They've always had them on their records, but they seem to be out weighing the up beat rockier songs now.

most of what u2 has ever done is mid tempo, no?

They are a mid-tempo band, period. They always have been, and always will be.

In Bono's words -- they are a loud folk band.

This is who they are; love them or leave them.

While I didn't read the whole article, I did notice that the reviewer prefered the album to ATYCLB... and yes, as was pointed out above it looks like this reviewer is very fond of AB (well duhh :wink: ) so I think that unless you were absolutely dying for AB2/Zooropa2 there is some hope for HTDAAB yet!

I just think alot of people are anticipating HTDAAB to be the best album they ever heard, and yea alot of reviews put it as that, so when we get one not so hyped review about the album, we all get nuts. I wouldnt listen to the album the first time, with the thought in my mind thats it's gonna be the best album ever, just listen to it as another NEW U2 album and then make your judgments. I think something from every album, is gonna show on this CD. We'll have to wait and see.

U2_Guy said:
The portugueses who heard the album are saying it's far from being the best U2 album.

And it has nothing to do with AB.

It's closer to TUF and Pop. They say it's like Pop but in a vintage 80's style.

Crumbs is the worst track they say.

City of blinding light has a very different feel and ending from what we've heard on TOP of the POPS. They say it's not a classic.

One Step Closer follows the tradition of songs like The First Time and themes from Passengers.

SYCMIOYO has a ultraviolet guitar style riff on the chorus and guitars a la Velvet Dress on the back. They say it's really great.

And Fast Cars is the best theme there... A mix of MW and Jaleo...

Go figure why U2 have not included on the album...

this is going to be a fucking brilliant album... don't worry laddies and lasses.... it's one review and it's from somebody where english isn't the native language, not that it matters as 'music' is the language, but i think it does matter to be truthful...but the way the tracks have been discussed above in this post give me bloody good vibes on this album...AB was 13 years ago, why would it sound AB? it may have similar sounds to previous u2 albums but if this new album wasn't 'up to date' in its production then i'd be VERY disappointed...fear not thou 'pessimistic, stuck in the past ones'...this is going to be a fucking great record...this should be an album for the now and here...not another JT or AB, it is a new album with new sounds....come on folks....and by the way, it's u2's album not ours...they can do whatever they please

I was waiting for this.

To me it kinda feels refreshing not to hear another "this istheir best ever!"-review. The perfect album doesn't exist, there will always be someone who doesn't like something about it. It feels good that atleast one source has said that it isn't flawless, because often the reviewers tend to copy eachothers opinions, and i'm scared this is the case of the previews we have seen this far (i guess they do this to build up the hype for the real review so people will buy the next magazine too). So it feels fresh with a different point of view.

When there is only good reviews around i feel that the "pressure" is on me to also like it, and when i later get to listen i try too hard to like the album, and it will just be a false feeling, kinda like: "well, um, yea it is good".

And as some people already has pointed out: A U2 album takes a while to get into, one listen is not nearly enough.

There is just one thing i'm worried about, and that's the comment about HTDAAB being overproduced... I hope not Steve Lillywhite has been too keen on making the songs "his".

The amazing thing about U2 has always been that so many people like them for completely different reasons. I may love AB, and you may love AB, but we may completely disagree about the individual songs. We both love AB for completely different reasons.

One of their strengths has always been their ability to touch so many people in completely personal ways. Ok, that sounds kinky...get your mind out of the gutter, Mark...

Seriously people, nowhere on these reviews does anyone say this is a bad album. On the contrary, both reviewrs seem to have liked it on first listen, and both think there's a lot more there than you can digest in one sitting, which is a very good sign.

Take this for what it is. Another set of good first impressions. Certainly not reviews, and most certainly not bad ones.

I have to agree that I have also given up expecting as great an album as Achtung Baby/Pop or The Joshua Tree. But by the reviews we have heard it sounds more an 80's record than anything else. But the first single while a good song it does not stand on the same level as The Fly or Discotheque or With Or Without You, or the first song released to radio from Zooropa Numb for that matter. It is more alike to Desire and so maybe an album of Rattle & Hum quality could be in the offering, which while not a bad album was not on the level of Achtung Baby, Pop or The Joshua Tree which will go down as the best albums they will ever release. Still, could be wrong, but I doubt it.:wink:

This review seems like a classic "I was expecting something totally different than what it is. If it's not AB, I'm not going to like it" kind of review.

From what we've heard, "Crumbs" sounds bad on the first listen, but it will probably really grow on you.

I want to see their review of MD. What's so disheartening about it?

jackboy said:
it's one review and it's from somebody where english isn't the native language, not that it matters as 'music' is the language, but i think it does matter to be truthful...

Does it matter what language you speak to be truthful? :eyebrow: If you don't speak english you are not truthful? I'm certain i misunderstood, jackboy. Sorry.

But this gets me sick. Here i'm browsing this forum every day, because I'm so hyped about this album, and I've been waiting for years of this album. Every day I look for new U2 news, rumours and talking to other fans. All exciting. But lately there have been so many negative posts. What the hell ... people are talking about U2s end when a new album is coming out. One bad review (well - not bad, but not AWESOME), and people complain about that U2 are becoming the Stones and that they should quit. What is happening? I'm not gonna let people ruin this for me. I'm still hyped, and i'm rally looking forward to this. But I have my doubts about some fans. I'm not saying that it's not ok to be critical, but I will not get on that wagon.

ElectricalVoice said:

Does it matter what language you speak to be truthful? :eyebrow: If you don't speak english you are not truthful? I'm certain i misunderstood, jackboy. Sorry.

But this gets me sick. Here i'm browsing this forum every day, because I'm so hyped about this album, and I've been waiting for years of this album. Every day I look for new U2 news, rumours and talking to other fans. All exciting. But lately there have been so many negative posts. What the hell ... people are talking about U2s end when a new album is coming out. One bad review (well - not bad, but not AWESOME), and people complain about that U2 are becoming the Stones and that they should quit. What is happening? I'm not gonna let people ruin this for me. I'm still hyped, and i'm rally looking forward to this. But I have my doubts about some fans. I'm not saying that it's not ok to be critical, but I will not get on that wagon.

Amen brotha!

ElectricalVoice said:

I think it comes down to the fact that many people here are glass half empty types. Sorry if that pisses anyone off, but I am so sick and tired of negativity. If you don't like the album after it comes out, that is fair. But why would you expect to not like it? I am not necessarily expecting it to beat AB for me personally, but I am open about it, and not constantly bitching.

Mark Freedman said:
The amazing thing about U2 has always been that so many people like them for completely different reasons. I may love AB, and you may love AB, but we may completely disagree about the individual songs. We both love AB for completely different reasons.

One of their strengths has always been their ability to touch so many people in completely personal ways.

Sorry Mark but your comments here make too much sense. :|

I HATE THE NEW ALBUM. I HATE IT!! HATE IT! HATE IT!! HATE IT!!!

I'd rather drink toilet water than listen to the new album.

From a public toilet!

Of course, I haven't HEARD the new album yet but still...

I said it before, and i'll say it again....It will be GREAT! Why? Because the EDGE is back. I almost barfed the first time i heard POP. Any new U2 (or any new music for that matter) is like a shock to the system. You cannot really comment on the songs, but you can comment on how it made you feel after the first listen. The negativity has been rampant lately, but for the most part it's been from a few choice posters....

U2_Guy said:

They are now at the same point The Rolling Stones were when they had their age. 1986 and the album Dirty Work... Their last great album had been Tatoo You in 1981...

I hope they don't become the next Stones...

Yep have to agree with this, I just hope they don't keep ploughing on and releasing albums that are sub-standard as the Stones have for the past twenty years.

Crap review, crap translation. I could not understand fuck of what they were trying to say. People shouldn't be worried about a bad review or even a crap review like this. A couple of portugese are not going to upset you. To get over your hurt feelings go to u2achtung.com. Very positive review of HTDAAB in Le Soir(if you can read french that is). Bottom line: HTDAABB is very u2 and very good u2.

It's close to ridiculous the blind devotion of some Interferencers.

When we - "the glass half empty types" - say that something isn't THAT good the blind devotees come running to the rescue of U2 from those "negative ppl".

Maybe i'm older than most of you guys, maybe i have lived more than many of you, maybe i have more experience on many matters. Maybe i'm not 16 anymore like i was in 91 when AB first became part of my life... Maybe i don't share the same blind entusiasm shared by many of you new fans... Maybe i'm old enough to be realistic to the point that i made up my mind: U2 won't never again be as brilliant and relevant as they were till Pop.

They were - and still are - the grestest band ever. I have a huge collection, i buy all the versions for all the singles (just bought yesterday on Ebay the last CD single i needed to complete my collection, WGRYWH digipak UK limited version with 4 prints) and i'll still do it.

I never said this new album will be bad. I said it's never ever gonna be as good and relevant as AB, Zooropa or Pop. I don't fool myself.

History of rock n' roll music proved so far that a band never beats their best work when they are over 40. It's a fact.

U2 should be like Michael Schumacher or the brazilian football team (i'm brazilian hehehehe): they won everything they could, but they still have that fire that makes them want to keep winning. I'm afraid U2 lost that fire on the last gig of the Popmart...

Come on in positive ppl, go ahead and curse me, kick etc...

U2_Guy,

Saying that "it's a fact" is putting artificial limits on human potential. And it's completely subjective what a band's "best" work is. I'm not going to curse and kick you, but I disagree with you 10,000% on this point. And it's insulting to this 43 year-old. But I'm not gonna take it personally. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom