A monster, a dragon...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

womanfish

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
from U2log.com

Bono says: ?We?re nearly finished ? we?re in the home straight. There?s only one reason for U2 to put an album out right now ? it has to be a monster, a dragon, and this is.

?It?s filled with big tunes and it?s driven by a guitar player who is sick of the sight of me shaking hands with dodgy politicians. The anger is unbelievable. The Edge is the most gifted guitar player of his generation ? that?s obvious. He?s driving it and he?s going, ?This is enough, if I see one more photo of you with a dodgy politician I?m going to throw up.??

Bono must spend nights dreaming up, word for word, his next paragraph or two of hype for the media. He's brilliant at it: "A monster, a dragon." Too good.

Incidentally, didn't Chizip say the album would sound like "puke green"? Edge is going, "I want to throw up," and dragons are green. That description makes sense now! Good call, Chiz.

Last edited:
I know. Bono is so over the top and notorious for this stuff. I just pray that just this once. He is right on the money.

I think people will gush over this album even if it's only mildly more aggressive than ATYCLB. But I agree with wf, I really hope Bono's on the money about this and we really do have a heavy monster of an album coming our way.

Just for the record I am the first of the fans to complain about the new album.

My complain "It comes out too late"

haven't heard it yet of course,
but I think it's too loud

I am looking for more zen like material

:disappointed:

Salome said:
haven't heard it yet of course,
but I think it's too loud

I am looking for more zen like material

:disappointed:

Salome you're crazy...!!! Didn't we have a whole album of that (Zooropa), and isn't it finally time for U2 to flush out their punk and rock roots!! The louder the better I say!! Think of the concerts they'll be performing now!! Seriously it should be uplifting and at the same time primal!!

no, no, no

quiet is the new loud
all the music mags have been saying so for at least a year

(personally I'll be listening to The Darkness until the new U2 is released no matter whether that one will rock or not)

Like I have said before, with a new producer on board we will definately get a new sound

Swan269, you are so right...and sorry Salome, but I think 'loud' is in the cards this time out. Unlike REM, U2 cannot sit on one sound for consecutive albums anymore. There's too much experience and restlessness in them for that. The fire still burns, so we will get 'loud' and 'angry'. I'm so looking forward to that.

Go over to atu2.com and browse thru the old news right before ATYCLB was released. (you can filter the news, using 'album news') I went back and read virtually every article from Pop to the current articles. It took me a little over an hour, which wasn't too bad.

What I noticed was that my perception of Bono's "hype" changed somewhat. A lot of what he said turned out to come to fruition. He talked about evolving towards simplicity, about making soul music, and about making music that is about 4 people playing in a room.

The problem was in between, those items that turned out to be fact, he threw out a lot of big adjectives "titanium soul" and such.

I think it's probably just his personality. He is only overstating slightly because the work is fresh in his mind and has yet to be heard by a critical audience and fans.

I think it's also an Irish thing, that perhaps you have to be Irish to understand the manner in which he is speaking. What may seem to be verbose or over the top at face value, turns out to be true, just overstated.

A monster, a dragon, to me translates into meaning a big rock guitar record. Instead of just saying "it's a big guitar record" to Bono, it's a monster or a dragon. If only because he is searching for those ellusive new adjectives, or if in his perception, this is truly the way he sees it.

U2 haven't made a true guitar album in awhile. Guitar players may understand what I mean a bit more than those who don't. But if you pick up your guitar and you can play an album with minimalist effects and not leave out sections of a song, then it's a guitar record. This would refer to Bono's comments about All Because of You being "The Who". Whereas it may not sound as much like the Who themselves, but it sounds like The Who, because it's guitar driven.

I also got chills reading one particular article.

Edge commented that his style is very minimalist, wherein he has played as few noted as possible for the most part. This is of course, very true in most cases.

But for this album he is pushing the guitar to see what he can make out of it, that he is not scared to 'play too much'. Basically I think he means he's shelling out more notes.

You can see this in Electrical Storm and maybe even in some live versions of older songs (the outro of Gone) and so on.

Basically I think we are going to have on our hands, a full on guitar record, for the first time, maybe ever but at least since JT. And instead of minimalist Edge in prior cases (all albums) we are going to hear full-on Edge.

Now just because it's a fuller guitar with more notes and playing, doesn't by default mean the songs will be better. I think they will, but it's not guaranteed.

I do think we are guaranteed a different sound for U2. Not a different sound of 'rock', but a different type of 'rock' for U2.
A different U2, once again.

And who knows, it may be a fucking monster or a dragon, whatever the fuck that means.

Fire-breathing Edge=dragon
Notes, solos, and maybe even multiple chords
Prevelant rock sound=monster
Drums, Bass mixed together, guitar at the forefront,
Big lyrics, Big melody, big sound.

Rock and Roll baby!!!!!

Only Bono calls it something else.

U2DMfan -

Achtung Baby was a guitar record. More so than JT. I think on this one we will get back to hearing those "monster" creative bursts of rocking guitar like The Fly and Until the End of the World, etc...

:hyper:

Remember that article when a journalist said All because of you was "the hardest tune U2 ever wrote" and that the song was the band going back to its garage rock roots?

IMO the new album may be sounding like Always or Electrical storm...lots of guitars but maybe not as layered as AB.

Achtung Baby was a guitar record. More so than JT. I think on this one we will get back to hearing those "monster" creative bursts of rocking guitar like The Fly and Until the End of the World, etc...

Yes, it was. Achtung Baby has also more guitar solos then JT. The Fly, Until the End of the World, Real Thing, Love Is Blindness and even MYSTERIOUS WAYS has a guitar solo.

Achtung Baby is a fucking brilliant album. This new album?s gonna be the next Achtung Baby: guitar-driven its depth...

I want this album to be called ?Dragon?, it wold be nice :)

Back
Top Bottom