A Man and a Woman … overlooked smash hit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this thing has radio all over it. not that I value that sort of thing with any song by U2, but I see this tune exploding. I've listened to it a 1000 times — something about Bono's vocals makes this song somehow great for me. and the bass line of course. The perfect love song.

It's Edge in the backgroung that does it for me. Sounds so U2 but so fresh at the same time. Some new ground here I would say.

yes, i think it has broad appeal. although a pretty good song, probably the weakest one on the album. too adult contemporary though, like something you would hear on the banana republic or gap soundtrack. who knows, it may grow to become my favorite.

I love that song. When I first read the title and song descriptions I was expecting something really lame. I was very pleasantly surprised when I heard it. Really cool bass, good lyrics, some soulful vocals from bono. It sounds great. I think it could become a b-stage classic. I just hope they do it full band and not just Edge and Bono, because it would really be a shame to miss Adam's bass.

THIS is the one that always seems to get stuck in my head at the end of the day. Even if I'm jamming to COBL or another tune, AMAAW is the one that stands out.

Adam runs the shows on this track, his bass is incredible. I love the "rue st. divine" verse with the background vocals. Great song, if the rest of the album wasnt so strong, I would say it could be released as a single. Dont think it will happen though.

It's going to get a lot of radio play regardless of whether it's released as a single or not. LOVE this song. That urban, almost salsa-like rhythm makes me want to put a rose in my mouth, click my heels and shake me arse.

I prefer U2 making a tune that is a bit adult contemporary as opposed to a tune made to appeal to the teen-agers, a la Vertigo. Somehow AMAAW seems more real. I'll take AMAAW over Vertigo any time.

I'm sure this song will go to Radio. It really is great and I appreciate more and more with every listen.

That said, it doesn't sound typical U2. By releasing this song to radio, it may introduce U2 to new fans.

purpleblackeye said:
yes, i think it has broad appeal. although a pretty good song, probably the weakest one on the album. too adult contemporary though, like something you would hear on the banana republic or gap soundtrack. who knows, it may grow to become my favorite.

It is quite adult contemporary, but no more so than any of Sting's music...so it doesn't bother me. It kind of reminds me of Love Comes Tumbling actually. The only thing I really don't like about it is the falsetto in the middle of the song. At the end it's alright, but the falsetto in the middle is just...:no:

LPU2 said:
It's going to get a lot of radio play regardless of whether it's released as a single or not.

Very true. Just like how In A Little While wasn't released as a single, but it got radio play too.

kevink said:

Very true. Just like how In A Little While wasn't released as a single, but it got radio play too.

Will be the real surprise in terms of radio play- will be massive, and as others have written- open up a whole new audience to/for U2

Mike

gee, i hope it doesn't sound any more adult contemporary than Sting...cuz he sucks (well, everything post-The Police, to be fair)

and i see no resemblance to Love Comes Tumbling, which is a much better song IMO.

It's my least favourite on the album, but that's not saying a lot because I love every single track. I can see why it would be a major hit, though I'm hoping they choose other songs to be singles.

This song has yet to really grab me. It's nice and all, but nothing about it really grabs me as special. In fact right now it's my least favorite on the album. :shrug:

AMAAW is very pretty and complete, one of the few songs that sounds so on the record. hope they release it as a single. it sounds like a more tuneful and classier version of wild honey. a highlight for me so far.

I really like AMAAW too. There's a kind of spanish soul feel to it.

I love the 'Brown eyed girl across the street' part where the shakers come in. Class. Adam is great on this one.

Excuse my ignorance , but what would be the Banana Republic?

I loved this song from first listening, same way it happened to In a Little While. I don´t believe it will be a single though, again same way it happened to In a Little While.

MT

Banana Republic is a clothes store here in the US....sort of like an upscale Gap.

A Man and A Woman just sounds like something that would be played in this store. safe, pretty music for the shopping crowd. you won't be hearing "The Fly" in department stores, that's for sure

What an underrated song from this album. I actually skipped this song a few times but now I really like it. I don't get the Sting references at all (is Sting really that bad now?). I love the lines:

"The soul needs beauty for a soul mate
When the soul wants...the soul waits"

atikicat said:

It is quite adult contemporary, but no more so than any of Sting's music...so it doesn't bother me. It kind of reminds me of Love Comes Tumbling actually. The only thing I really don't like about it is the falsetto in the middle of the song. At the end it's alright, but the falsetto in the middle is just...:no:

I thought about Sting first time I heard it. And it really bothers me. It's my worst song from the album. Love Comes Tumbling is better IMO. This one is so uninspired. If they put Mercy or some song that didn't make the cut (Native Son?)...

Well... I guess everyone else is lovin' it so shouldn't be a big problem.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Native Son is on HTDAAB, it's now called Vertigo...honest.

Did you hear it? Why, is it so similair to Vertigo? Ok, then some other song that is moreor less diffrerent from the rest of the album (a la LAPOE or Fast Cars). Still, Crumbs, AMAAW, OOTS and Yahweh look pretty much the same to me.

Back
Top Bottom