A Man And A Woman - and a growing problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just don't see this "sultry sex" that people see in the song. Its more like a bluesy sexy type thing running through the music. But even then its not like its Madonna or anything. I think 'So Cruel' has more blatant sexuality to it than this song...not to mention it is much stronger too.

My buddy hates this song. As he puts it "I picture Bono walking down a street in NYC singing the song, then walking into a gay bar......the mysterious distance between a Man and a MAN!"

LOL, everyone's got an opinion, his just made me laugh.

It's my top 3 of the album after a few listens , behind City..lights and Original.

I dunno, maybe Adam was right, "the ladies will love it," maybe it's a song women will like more than the men. Not that guys won't like it, but it appeals more to women?

Also said it was quirky, different from what they've done before, and yeah, it does have a different feel from the other songs on the album.

I like it, right now it's currently my least favorite on the album, but I still enjoy it. :) Personally, LAPOE is the track that seems the most out of place to me, but I love that song!

Its a good song...the best bit is the falsetto in the middle, with that high-pitched sound in there too..but I wish they could have included Fast Cars in its place...seems so silly for it not to be in there.

I've been really, REALLY trying to get this song, b/c the first time I heard it I thought something must be wrong somewhere, like maybe the download version wasn't mixed right or something. Then when I bought the cd, it just didn't get any better. I think I at least "like" every other U2 song, and I've NEVER heard one and thought "This just SUKS!" but that's the feeling I get with this one.
Having said that, I think I've maybe figured out why. It sounds so generic. I can imagine pretty much any pop singer in the world singing this song and being able to pull it off. I just hope it doesn't turn up on an episode of American Idol.

Its my favourite song on the album too. Love the bass.

Aardvark747 said:
"How can I hurt when im holding you?" is MY standout line from the album..:drool:

That line reminds me of Neil Diamond -

"How can I hurt when I’m with you"

from Sweeeettt Car-o-line bom bom bom. :huh:

Aardvark747 said:

Hey, Aardvark

You are always there to support AMAAW like I do. I have 3 or 4 theads out there in the place where dead threads go supporting AMAAW and you are always there with the damn drool. Lets keep the drool coming until everyone is converted. :wink:

AMAAW.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Although it's not my favorite track on the album, I seriously think this song would do well on the radio. It wouldn't seem so, but I bet you throw this out there and it will surprise people. It'd easily be an oasis in this barren wasteland we call pop radio (save for a few bands, of course). I've tested this song on a few non-fan friends and they really like it.

I adore the song and like someone said, i can see it being really great for a wedding! I also agree it's the best bassline on the album.

susanp6 said:
I adore the song and like someone said, i can see it being really great for a wedding! I also agree it's the best bassline on the album.

Best bassline?! It's simply a minor alteration of the Somedays are Better than Others bassline! Which was great, I admit, but this song, AMAAW, is really not that original in my opinion.

for example...

The bassline is borrowed,
the lyrics I admit are very good, yet are punctuated by appalling cliche's (little sister? Bono didn't even have a sister did he? Does he call his wife 'lil sister' as a pet/love name? Cause that is quite sick!),
and the whole tone/sound is taken straight from a Simply Red album.

OK, so alot of you love it, which is great, I just wish I could see in it what you AMAAW fans do!

Er, let's not talk about borrowed baselines. Miracle Drug's baseline is identical to With Or Without You's, and people are still gushing over the track :eyebrow:

AMAAW is the only real musical growth or experimentation U2 do on Bomb, besides the Beatles-esque OOTS, and for that I like it. It's perfectly placed in the album to break things up and lead into the more mellow 2nd half.

Canadiens1160 said:
Er, let's not talk about borrowed baselines. Miracle Drug's baseline is identical to With Or Without You's, and people are still gushing over the track :eyebrow:

AMAAW is the only real musical growth or experimentation U2 do on Bomb, besides the Beatles-esque OOTS, and for that I like it. It's perfectly placed in the album to break things up and lead into the more mellow 2nd half.

Miracle Drug bassline = With or Without You? My god, you're right! It's not immediately obvious, but it's identical!

And I see your point on AMAAW being new territory for U2, I guess without this track the album would have a very monotonous tone to it.

Simply Red? I really don't see that at all! Still love the bassline and i hope more people join us in our love for the song!:wink:

It's a beautiful song. As much as some people have bitched about the production on this album, this song leaves nothing to bitch about. It's clean, crisp, gorgeous

kiwilad said:

Miracle Drug bassline = With or Without You? My god, you're right! It's not immediately obvious, but it's identical!

I know, isn't it crazy? :drool:

kiwilad said:
(little sister? Bono didn't even have a sister did he? Does he call his wife 'lil sister' as a pet/love name? Cause that is quite sick!)

I think you're taking it a bit far, it's just a...I dunno, turn of phrase? Doesn't mean he wants to shag his sister or something.

It still feels a bit like "which one of these is unlike the other" too much when I listen to the full album and I find it distracting for that reason.

I personaly like MAAW though it took me a week or so to get into it.Use to skip it.

username said:
It's not that I think this song is horrible... but it is my least favorite song on the album. I would have chosen 'Mercy' in a heartbeat over it. And 'Are You Gonna Wait Forever' as well, for that matter.

You got to be kidding about Are You Gonna Wait Forever, that song is like a 30 second loop.
Talk about a track that goes nowhere! At least MAAW is something different and has great lyrics.

Back
Top Bottom