A Man and a Woman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hornbag

The Fly
Anyone know why this song was never played live? Seems such a shame...Perhaps it's becuase the song begins acoustically and ends electrically on Edge's part? It seems a waste of a good song, particularly the bassline, some fine work from Adam in that song.

I think the new album will sound a lot like A Man and a Woman.

no, u2 are too smart to make such an album. it wont be that adult contemporary.

I really like the musical part of the song, but the lyrics really stink, in my opinion.

I think I'm one of the few people around here who actually likes this song (but it's good to know I'm not alone.) I agree that it's a little on the adult contemporary side of things, but I think that's more due to the production than the song itself. I dig the bassline, and especially like Bono's vocal; anyone else hear a little bit of Sting in the way he sings this? Anyone? Bueller?

I love the song too. I read in an interview Bono did (for Q I think) and he mentioned the song and said he was disappointed that it hadn't recieved much attention. What does he expect when they don't play it live?

Bono's voice/lyrics are great in it...gives the song a great feel. So many great little lines about love in there... "How can I hurt when I'm holding you".

Adam's bass is fantastic too.

One of the album's better tracks.

It's my least favourite song on HTDAAB, but only because of the instrumental part. It just don't seem to match with the rest of the album - sightly more heavy, more electric, more raw.

I like the lyrics, but I could've imagine this song more in a 70's rock vein (keeping the bassline) with drumming à la Led Zepellin and a more heavy guitarwork.
Like this, it would certainly get much more attention...

It's not that bad. One mystery to me is why Edge drops out completely at the beginning of the last verse, leaving Adam (or whomever is playing the role of Adam) to thump away under Bono until Edge comes back with an early 60s sounding effect. What happens to Edge, is he just switching guitars, or did he decide to have a break for a smoke?

Aygo said:
"Party Girl" (and AMAAW) for... worst song in their catalogue?
Are you drunk?:huh:

One can only assume (and hope) that he's referring to the horrendous, god-awful, ear-hurting studio version of Party Girl.

corianderstem said:

One can only assume (and hope) that he's referring to the horrendous, god-awful, ear-hurting studio version of Party Girl.
I didn't think about that, because the studio version is so bad that I almost forget it. i'm always counting on the live version.

Perhaps they read this board after all and the preemptive moaning stopped them from ever playing it live. And they will think twice about making an album sounding like that.

Last edited:
lady luck said:
I love this song but perhaps it's too intimate and private for a concert:shrug:

That's my guess. I do recall reading an interview with Bono saying it's partly about Ali. "Sweetest Thing" hardly ever gets played live either.

silvrlvr : It's not that bad. One mystery to me is why Edge drops out completely at the beginning of the last verse, leaving Adam (or whomever is playing the role of Adam) to thump away under Bono until Edge comes back with an early 60s sounding effect. What happens to Edge, is he just switching guitars, or did he decide to have a break for a smoke?

You think someone else is playing the bass on this track?

Perhaps to give some aural space to the song. Though maybe Edge was switching guitars to get a different effect on the song. Would be interesting to see a real documentary on how they write songs, the process. As it happens, not years after.

Am I the only one who actually likes the studio version of Party Girl? I like A Man and a Woman too, though I admit it's not a classic.

Back
Top Bottom