A Man and a Woman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AMAAW is one of their worst songs ever. i just hope they don't go into this direction for the next album.
i imagine AMAAW fits perfect as backkround music for a late night booze at a hotel bar somewhere in siberia or the northern parts of scandinavia, alaska etc.

jacobus said:
AMAAW is one of their worst songs ever. i just hope they don't go into this direction for the next album.
i imagine AMAAW fits perfect as backkround music for a late night booze at a hotel bar somewhere in siberia or the northern parts of scandinavia, alaska etc.

I think that's why I like it :) God I love Scandinavia!
I don't love AMAAW though, I never thought the band who made Achtung Baby would produce something so AOR, but it's harmless enough with a pleasant melody,at least it's 10 times better than Miracle Bloody Drug!

I like the track, but I think Bono comes pretty close to ruining it. The lyrics seem shoe-horned over a decent song, especially "a man and a wooo-man." That's a real clunker.

There's something about this song that I can't describe; it's neither "boo" or "yay" for me, and I like the half-acoustis stuff like SATS, Wild honey, Summer rain, Flower child, Fast cars ... as well as the current pop U2 incarnation. I prefer the B-side version on ABOY single, which is Larry- and Adam-less. Maybe that's what bugging me - the virtually acoustic song's been given too much guitar/keyboards in it.

Love the "stray dog" verse and "for love and faith and sex and fear, and all the things that keep us here" line in the end, though. I think the song really picks up with the "brown eyed girl across the street from Rue st divine" line.

Aygo said:
Nooooo.
I don't want U2 on MTV sounding like Maroon5.:scream: :no:

Please don't associate Maroon 5 with this song. Ugh.

But yes, I suppose Bono shouldn't write songs this personal. Seems some don't really want Bono to get too personal, they want abstract, 3rd party perspectives in Bono's lyrics. :shrug:

Last edited:
U2Man said:
sometimes i think its adult contemporary crap, sometimes i love it.

Maybe I don't listen to that much adult contemporary on my own, but I've listened to a radio station at work that is labeled adult contemporary and U2 doesn't really fit in all that much. A Man & a Woman would stick out like a sore thumb.

Is Sting's solo stuff considered adult contemporary? Maybe Bryan Adams but I like some of his songs.

thrillme said:

Please don't associate Maroon 5 with this song. Ugh.

But yes, I suppose Bono shouldn't write songs this personal. Seems some don't really want Bono to get too personal, they want abstract, 3rd party perspectives in Bono's lyrics. :shrug:
I'm sorry, but the first thing I remember when I think about AMAAW instrumental is the typical Maroon5 song. I'm not saying it's bad, it is just not in my favourite U2 works, it doesn't fit well.

I always liked the line "But you're gone and so is God." a somewhat deep and heavy line in an otherwise lighthearted song I suppose.

Galeongirl said:

:yes:

It's definitely one of the catchiest, best songs on HTDAAB. The bass is beyond awesome, especially when everything drops out except for it and Bono's voice. :combust:

Great Song. It Shows Versatility on U2's part. Teh ycan make an ass-kicking song like Vertigo, and make a sweet pop love song like A Man And A Woman, and they both work. Genius.

I like it because it reminds me of earlier U2 for some reason. UF or War era, and thats a good thing.

This is a tune, I really do like - as I like the album in a whole. "Man And A Woman" doesn't have the greatest song title ever nor the best hook line in chorus therefore - but it is a nice tune anyway.
More than that it is reminding me of earlier, very beautiful tunes like "Drowning Man" or even much more melodically "Love Comes Tumbling". It's a pity, U2 never performed it in the gigs - but this seems to be the fate for this kind of tunes...

Back
Top Bottom