A lot of repeating from what I've heard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr_Macphisto

War Child
Ok, I haven't downloaded the whole album, and this isn't really going to affect my opinions of loving/buying the album. So far, I have only listened to Vertigo (obviously), All Because Of You, One Step Closer, and Are You Gonna Wait Forever.

Besides Vertigo, it seems Bono got kinda lazy with the choruses, in the respect that they are all just Bono singing the title over and over ("All Because of You... AAaaall Because of you"). I read somewhere else on here that Yahweh is the same way too.

I am too lazy to try and find all the lyrics, but is this a reoccurance throughout the album? It really doesn't matter, but it just seems they have never been like that before.

Gotta happen eventually.

400+ Published songs, god knows how many draft songs and B-Sides, hard to not repeat yourself.

I don't mind. It's U2.

City of Blinding Lights doesn't repeat the title frivolously. Nor does Miracle Drug, Original of the Species (not once), AMAAW repeats the title but in the context of a developed chorus, etc.

You'll be more comfortable with it when you hear the whole album, methinks. :)

It's a great album when all is said and done, and it's worth your time...but I would still characterize Bono as more or less lazy in every way. There are some great lyrics, yes, but many many many are duds. There are also some GREAT vocals (especially in "City of Blinding Lights"), but then some wretched ones (see all his "mama" talk in "A Man and a Woman"). There is also some GREAT, understated production ("Vertigo" is tops in this field) and then some overblown production, particularly as far as Bono's vocals go (double-tracked vocals are not the exception...there are some sort of insane rule, suddenly).

Dont' get me wrong: it is a great album...at least after just three days of listening. But it is not perfect, and I personally feel like Bono pretty much half-assed the whole damn thing.

FullonEdge2 said:
Listen to The Joshua Tree. Bono does this with the first 9 songs on that album.

Except for "Red Hill Mining Town"

That never actually shows up in the chorus, same with "Running to Stand Still," it's only the last line.

Other than that, yup. :sexywink:

UnforgettableLemon said:

Except for "Red Hill Mining Town"

That never actually shows up in the chorus, same with "Running to Stand Still," it's only the last line.

Other than that, yup. :sexywink:

well he says "red hill town" in the chorus right? close enough

yeah, I guess. But still, if people are complaining about it on this album, they should just look at JT.:wink:

I don't think it's anything to complain about. More of an observation. Some of the best songs in the world are built around repetition and simplicity

"Knockin' on Heaven's Door" is pretty effing simple

It's hard to write Rock tunes without some repetition. It's all about repetition.

I repeat. Rock is repetition.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom