A Live Version of "Love and Peace or Else" should be the next single!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thrillme

Refugee
A radio station in my area, has this segment called "Live Cuts" where it's just that, a live song is played. They played a live version of "Love and Peace or Else" and it sounded fantastic!

U2 record all their concerts, so it wouldn't require them going in and redoing the song, they could find the best version of this song so far, and that could be the new single.

I've heard live versions of "Bad" a few times, I think from the 'Wide Awake,' EP so it's not unheard of, your thoughts?

I love the idea myself. Could be kind of like the 'Popheart EP', so maybe with a couple of other live tracks from other Vertigo gigs.

Love And Peace Or Else (live)
Miss Sarajevo (live)
Original Of The Species (live)
Running To Stand Still (live)

So 2 old and 2 new, following the Popheart way!:wink:

I don't think it should be live, but that they should just stick to the studio version. City is live from Vancouver, so 2 live singles in a row isn't a good idea, IMO.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the video for city was shot in vancouver, but they used the studio track as teh backing... and the actuall single as an edited version of the studio track

and most of my points are irrelevant

Are you sure? There are some differences between the studio and single versions, and not just the length of the song. For one thing, Bono's vocals are different, and obviously not the same as on the album. Also, the single version has Edge playing slide guitar at the beginning, while the original album version has the glockenspiel playing the same melody. I think that the single version of COBL is actually a live version, recordied in Vancouver.

Does anyone out there know for sure?

starvinmarvin said:

Are you sure? There are some differences between the studio and single versions, and not just the length of the song. For one thing, Bono's vocals are different, and obviously not the same as on the album. Also, the single version has Edge playing slide guitar at the beginning, while the original album version has the glockenspiel playing the same melody. I think that the single version of COBL is actually a live version, recordied in Vancouver.

Does anyone out there know for sure?

It's not live. It's exactly the same as the album version, just edited. That guitar you hear at the beginning of the single version? It's on the album version about 23-25 seconds in. I hear it every time I listen. Bono's vocal is the same as far as I can tell. The last verse is cut out of the single version though.

City of Blinding Lights (Radio Edit): Music by U2. Lyrics by Bono. Produced by Flood. Additional production by Chris Thomas and Jacknife Lee. Recorded by Carl Glanville. Assisted by Chris Heaney and Kieran Lynch. Mixed by Nellee Hooper. Mix Engineering by Simon Gogerly and Greg Collins. Programming by Fabien Waltmann. Assistant Mix Engineering by Ian Rossiter. Piano by The Edge and Bono. Synthesizers by Jacknife Lee.

I'm talking about the version used in the video, not the radio edit. It does sound different to me, I'm pretty sure its live, not just edited. I haven't heard the radio edit version, maybe its different than the one on the video.

StlElevation said:
the video is live.

the radio edit is not live.

OK, thanks for clearing that up, StlElevation. The live version on the video is WAY WAY WAY better than the studio version. I didn't like COBL very much until I saw them do it live at Vancouver 3 - after that it quickly became my favorite on HTDAAB.

no problem

the live version of city of blinding lights is simply amazing and it becomes one of their best songs. originally, city was my LEAST favorite song when i first listened to atomic bomb last november. then it grew on me before the tour and it rose pretty quickly on my chart, and then it's now easily one of my favorite, if not the, after seeing it live.

StlElevation said:
no problem

the live version of city of blinding lights is simply amazing and it becomes one of their best songs. originally, city was my LEAST favorite song when i first listened to atomic bomb last november. then it grew on me before the tour and it rose pretty quickly on my chart, and then it's now easily one of my favorite, if not the, after seeing it live.

Personally I think there have been many better performances of that song on tour so far. Maybe it's just because alot is cut from it. I'm not sure.

City has no live audio on the single.

The radio edit is just a hacked down version of the original 5:47 track (now 4:11) But all components of the ''new track'' are taken from the 5:47 mix

on the single, there is no live audio. the video is live.

and yes, there are better performances of it.

StlElevation said:
on the single, there is no live audio. the video is live.

and yes, there are better performances of it.

I think the problem with the COBL video is not so much the live performance, but rather the way that the video was shot. It's way too dark, you can hardly see the band, and it doesn't effectively capture the stage visuals and the crowd participation that actually took place. I live in Vancouver, and know people who were at the video shoot, and every one of them says the video is badly shot/edited - the actual performance was there, but Hamish effed up again.

was it hamish filming that? I thought Alex and Martin filmed that video, with Hamish doing the Chicago DVD.

StlElevation said:
was it hamish filming that? I thought Alex and Martin filmed that video, with Hamish doing the Chicago DVD.

Sorry, you're right.....it was Alex aND Martin....regardless, the performance could've been better captured.

Love and Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
City of Blindind Lights

sounds like a great EP to me

Back
Top Bottom