A kick-ass ATYCLB running order...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
1)Levitate
2)New York(Nice Mix)
3)Stateless
4)Peace On Earth
5)Walk On(Single Version w/Hallelujahs)
6)Beautiful Day
7)Flower Child
8)Stuck In A Moment(Acoustic)
9)In A Little While
10)When I Look At The World
11)The Ground Beneath Her Feet
12)Kite
13)Elevation
14)Grace

namkcuR said:

I used to like it but Flower Child is better.

Completely disagree. U2 is smart and Flower Child was a b-side for a reason. For the light hearted type of song that it is, it's WAY too long and meandering with no real climax. If it had 1.5 minutes or so cut out, it would have the chance at being much better.

This isn't really a "kick ass ATYCLB running order" IMO. When some songsthat were never intended to be on the album are added and some that were intended to be there omitted, then it ceases to be ATYCLB in my book. I'm not really keen on the running order, but that's just my opinion. I'm listening to some of it and it seems to have no flow; especially the Kite/Elevation/Grace trio.

ImOuttaControl said:
This isn't really a "kick ass ATYCLB running order" IMO. When some songsthat were never intended to be on the album are added and some that were intended to be there omitted, then it ceases to be ATYCLB in my book. I'm not really keen on the running order, but that's just my opinion. I'm listening to some of it and it seems to have no flow; especially the Kite/Elevation/Grace trio.

There is only one song from ATYCLB that isn't there.

And I thought it had a real good flow. I originally had the Tomb Raider mix of Elevation there, but the flow wasn't so good with that version. I replaced with the album version and the flow was much better.

ImOuttaControl said:

Completely disagree. U2 is smart and Flower Child was a b-side for a reason. For the light hearted type of song that it is, it's WAY too long and meandering with no real climax. If it had 1.5 minutes or so cut out, it would have the chance at being much better.

Bono's voice is better in it.
It's catchier.
It may be a little long, but it's better. My opinion could change but right now it's that Flower Child is the better song.

You want to see a "kick-ass" running order?

here...

1)Levitate
2)New York(Nice Mix)
3)Stateless
4)Big Girls Are Best
5)Flower Child
6)Stuck In A Moment(Acoustic)
7)The Ground Beneath Her Feet
8)Kite
9)Summer Rain
10)Walk On(Single Version)

you want to see a kick ass running order?! DON'T WASTE LEVITATE BY PUTTING IT AT THE BEGINNING!!!! :(

U2 has ZERO good B-sides. If there would be one thing the band is good at, it is judging which songs are their best.

starvinmarvin said:
If there would be one thing the band is good at, it is judging which songs are their best.

...that explains why everything from ATYCLB era that was not on the album is so much better than the album.
They saved the best songs for fans only and the rest, the worst released to compete with Britney on the charts...
Long live the only U2-pop-record -> ATYCLB.

starvinmarvin said:
U2 has ZERO good B-sides. If there would be one thing the band is good at, it is judging which songs are their best.

Bollocks. Go and buy a copy of each 'Unforgettable Fire' and 'Joshua Tree' single. The 13 B-sides you get are fantastic.

namkcuR said:

That is a ludicrius statement. Absolutely ridiculous. Not to be taken seriously.

OK, then please name one....'Sweetest Thing" doesn't count, 'cause it's an A-side too.

this is just the EIGHTIES!

Touch
Things to Make and Do
Boy/Girl
Party Girl
Endless Deep
Treasure
Three Sunrises
Love Comes Tumbling
Bass Trap
Sixty Seconds in Kingdom Come
Boomerang I
Boomerang II
Luminous Times
Spanish Eyes
Silver and Gold
Sweetest Thing (does count :))
Deep in the Heart
Walk to the Water
Race Against Time
A Room at the HeartBreak Hotel
Hallelujah, Here She Comes

:) run along!

blahblahblah said:

Bollocks. Go and buy a copy of each 'Unforgettable Fire' and 'Joshua Tree' single. The 13 B-sides you get are fantastic.

I've heard them all, and they're unremarkable by U2 standards. U2 front loads their albums with the best songs, fills the second half with mediocre stuff, and then relegates the crap to their B-sides.

It seems like diehard U2 fans try to out-do each other by dropping the names of as many b-sides as they can at every turn in order to "prove" how knowledgeable they are.

"Yeah, I far prefer the acoustic Stuck IN A Moment"
"Ever heard the Lemon Shep Pettibone re-mix? It rocks"
"Summer Rain is like WAY better than anything on ATYCLB"
"Spanish Eyes kicks ass over anything on the album"
"The single version of Walk On is like SO MUCH better"

blahblahblah said:
this is just the EIGHTIES!

Touch
Things to Make and Do
Boy/Girl
Party Girl
Endless Deep
Treasure
Three Sunrises
Love Comes Tumbling
Bass Trap
Sixty Seconds in Kingdom Come
Boomerang I
Boomerang II
Luminous Times
Spanish Eyes
Silver and Gold
Sweetest Thing (does count :))
Deep in the Heart
Walk to the Water
Race Against Time
A Room at the HeartBreak Hotel
Hallelujah, Here She Comes

:) run along!

Congrats on your exhaustive knowledge of obscure U2 b-sides, but again, they are all throwaways. Why do you think they are b-sides? It's because the band doesn't think they're up to snuff. And they're right. If you enjoy them, that's fine with me. You're probably tired of the usual U2 songs, and need something different to keep your interest up. That's fine - but don't try to tell me the b-sides are excellent.

starvinmarvin said:

Congrats on your exhaustive knowledge of obscure U2 b-sides, but again, they are all throwaways. Why do you think they are b-sides? It's because the band doesn't think they're up to snuff. And they're right. If you enjoy them, that's fine with me. You're probably tired of the usual U2 songs, and need something different to keep your interest up. That's fine - but don't try to tell me the b-sides are excellent.

Actually the band have stated on several equations that songs were left off simply because they did not flow well on the album or did not relate well to the sound of the album. They made this statement most recently with regards to Summer Rain.

Starvinmarvin

You are full of shit.

U2 have one of the most impressive B-side cannons of any band out there. End of story.

That is all.

starvinmarvin said:

IMO, that's not true.. I mean, have u listened to Sweetest Thing, fior instance??? :huh:

starvinmarvin said:
That's fine - but don't try to tell me the b-sides are excellent.

But they are...you're just moaning and going along with the myth that ALL B-sides are throwaway tracks...

It sometimes [quite frequently in U2's case] comes down to having to cut tracks because they don't fit the MOOD of the album. Unfortunately, you imagine 'The Three Sunrises' [which is one of U2's best songs in my opinion...a WASTE!] opening 'The Unforgettable Fire' LP and it just doesn't work. That album overall has a rather dark side to it compared to a lot of the material left off.

And The Joshua Tree, I would have loved the record to have included 'Race Against Time' and 'Spanish Eyes' on there, but if you listen to the rest of the album, their epic 'soundscapes' just follow a totally different path or there isn't enough room for them [I think 'Race Against Time' actually fits the Joshua Tree excellently...just put it on Side One and have 'Red Hill Mining Town' afterwards, finishing off the side.]

I think you must convinced yourself to not like them simply because they are B-sides. So what? Why do U2 include B-side discs with their 'Best Of' Compilations?? If it's not up to scratch, why take the time to re-release the material on a seperate disc?!

My personal view is the songs that are [as you put it] not up to 'snuff', are not B-sides, but the ones that never see the light of day or probably don't make it past the 'demo/working' stage [some of which 'die-hard' U2 fans will find on the internet years later anyway]...

...Take 'Wild Irish Rose' and 'Be There' for example. Some may enjoy them, but at the end of the day, 'Wild Irish Rose' never really LEADS anywhere and 'Be There' just sounds a bit empty...also, The Edge used to freak out when demos were played to people before the songs had properly developed because they were of 'inferior quality' [example, Zooropa in it's VERY early stages being played to an NME Journalist during the 'Achtung Baby' half of Zoo TV.] THAT'S what I call not being up to snuff.

B-sides are there for a reason: extra material which, yes, provides padding for singles, but at the end of the day they are there for those who are REALLY into a band and want to hear more! Singles are just the only place for them. The 'Unforgettable Fire' and 'Pride' singles were, between them, PACKED with extra tracks from the album sessions. Doesn't that mean they WANT their fans to hear the rest, not to mention having some top material to go with the hit single when a new listener buys the record??

Last edited:
starvinmarvin said:
I have nothing against B-sides - it's just that U2's aren't particularly good.

I've found every post from you so far really annoying.

starvinmarvin said:

I've heard them all, and they're unremarkable by U2 standards. U2 front loads their albums with the best songs, fills the second half with mediocre stuff, and then relegates the crap to their B-sides.

It seems like diehard U2 fans try to out-do each other by dropping the names of as many b-sides as they can at every turn in order to "prove" how knowledgeable they are.

"Yeah, I far prefer the acoustic Stuck IN A Moment"
"Ever heard the Lemon Shep Pettibone re-mix? It rocks"
"Summer Rain is like WAY better than anything on ATYCLB"
"Spanish Eyes kicks ass over anything on the album"
"The single version of Walk On is like SO MUCH better"

OK, now I have a feeling you don't even know most of the b-sides ... and albums too, not all albums are "front loaded".... Actualy I can only think of ATYCLB and JT (but saying that would be a crime against everything on JT after BTBS, wich is as good as the first songs), maybe also War, yes those albums are alittle "front loaded", but last time I checked U2 had 11 albums...

...can you leave this thread?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom