A DMB concert vs. a U2 concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
Having been to both more than once, I will speak only briefly on this topic. A Dave Matthews Band concert is fun, laid-back, sweet, lots of hippies smoking weed and dancing around with the occasional stupid teenager puking (almost) all over your seats. (Happened to me, DMB Philly 2000.)

But a U2 concert...well, my friend described ZooTV as a "religious experience." And that's how I felt when I saw them. Like it was something much bigger, more intense. Bono definitely possesses an intensity that Dave doesn't. (As I am fond of telling people, "Bono invented intensity.")

But much as everyone raves about both of these bands being great live (and they are!), they're not great the same way. Expansion on this? I'm insomniacal again and just posting whatever the hell comes to my head.

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

I see what you are saying.

While I personally can't stand DMB, the concert expreiances are totally different.

Everyone has different expectatiosn of what they want from a concert. I don't go to see Iggy Pop expecting the same experiance I got from Depeche Mode and vice-versa.

I also think that both U2 and DMB provide the ultimate forms of thier unique types of concerts. There aren't many bands doing the types of concerts they are doing at the moment, and the bands that are doing it aren't doign it nearly as well.

------------------
Steve
SAME OLD STORY- Hardcore American Comedy

Originally posted by paxetaurora:
the occasional stupid teenager puking (almost) all over your seats. (Happened to me, DMB Philly 2000.)

Wow! I WAS puked on and nearly urinated on at a Dave Matthews Band concert, in Philly! I've seen both bands over 10 times and U2 clearly takes the cake for me. If you go to shows for a laid-back atmosphere, hippies, or to meet wannabe Deadheads, go see DMB. The guys in the band are great musicans. If you want a concert that feels as if "god is in the house" go see U2. There is something about a U2 show that makes me feel as if the crowd is as important as the band. There is definitely a spiritual connection going on there that I have never gotten from seeing DMB jam away. It depends what you're into I guess.

[This message has been edited by Zoomeranger (edited 12-05-2001).]

a DMB vs a U2 concert, a guess that would be a tie. fans of both bands go to the shows expecting what only fans of said bands would give them.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

The first time I saw DMB, I didn't really know any of his music. It was back after Crash had just been released. I was surprised to learn that the show had sold out (25,000 capacity outdoor show). I was so impressed that the next time he came around to the Albany area, I dished out $150 for floor seats to see him (that was a LOT back then). And that show was even better. A religious experience in it's own right.

If you really don't lie to yourself, you understand that U2's studio songs (all amazing) sound a LOT better live. It's the same for Dave. He lives for the live experience, and that is why fans travel around with the band, and he sells out shows as quick as U2. And his set lists are like snow flakes - never even CLOSE to the same. He did a three night stand at Giants Stadium, and only repeated one or two songs between all three nights. The last time I saw him, this past summer, I barely recognized half the songs, yet I was still very much into the show.

U2 will always be the greatest, but over the past 4 years or so, DMB has really emerged in my mind as a solid band.

If you've never seen DMB live, treat yourself the next time he's in your town. And of course, if you've never seen U2 live, you should sell everything you own to get a ticket the next time they tour *fingers crossed*

i dont know if i can see a black dude playing a violen and the same for the drumer and they seem to be very mello wher are u2 are rebbles.
dmb fans will say dmb and u2 fans will say u2 but seriously if you gave me free tix to dmb i would give them away
smile.gif
do people even jump at the dmb gigs their songs are so something my grandma would listen to but they are doind good for their fans..any ways u2 shows are real rock &roll gigs.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.

Originally posted by shaun vox:
i dont know if i can see a black dude playing a violen and the same for the drumer

Civil War is over my friend. African- Americans can play music in the public now.

CK

DMB is a great live band. I also saw Dave Matthews on an acoustic tour a few years ago-- also great.

But I didn't sing along and cheer and dance around going crazy as I did for the U2 concerts. As someone mentioned, DMB is laid back while U2 just out and out rocks! Even WOWY rocks! There's just some other vibe there that you don't get anywhere else.

Originally posted by TheU2:
Civil War is over my friend. African- Americans can play music in the public now.

CK

No shit. I've never "attacked" anyone on the forum, but that was the most ignorant thing I've heard anyone post around here.

And obviously you've never seen DMB live, so for you to write what you posted further deepens your ignorance. Actually, yes, people do jump up and down at DMB shows. Even some of the white people !!

Speaking as a fan of both bands, The Dave Matthews Band couldn't hold U2's jocks....

andWe All Know It!!!!!!

------------------
Nate

"No particular place names
No particular song
I've been hiding
What am I hiding from?"

-Zooropa

I love both bands, I have all the albums both bands have recorded, and I have seen both of them in concert. U2 wins pretty easily in a live situation.

I've seen DMB live 5 times and they're a good live act but not in the same zip code as U2. It's not even close.

They WERE good songwriters until Everyday. If I ever see Dave again he will pay horribly for writing and releasing I Did It, the most annoying song in pop history.

MAP

The songs from the Lillywhite Sessions are ten times better than anything on "Everyday."

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

for people who could not take the sarcasam im sorry but its funny though they dont look much rock&roll if ya know what i mean.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.

Originally posted by muh2o:
I was so impressed that the next time he came around to the Albany area, I dished out $150 for floor seats to see him (that was a LOT back then).

that's not a lot anymore???
eek.gif

not a big DMB fan, but I do wish U2 would change up their setlists in the way DMB does

Originally posted by shaun vox:
for people who could not take the sarcasam im sorry but its funny though they dont look much rock&roll if ya know what i mean.

You are forgiven, my son.

I'm a sucker for sarcasm but sarcasm usually is associated with comedy and I didn't find it that funny. Forgiven nevertheless......

CK

Back
Top Bottom