A different rumour about those POP remixes....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swan269

Rock n' Roll Doggie
From U2log.com

Remember the news about the band remixing their entire 'Pop' album? A reader claiming to be a Universal employee says these mixes will be released as extra tracks on the singles off the upcoming Best Of album.

I love U2 news.

Sometimes we manage not to see the obivious.After soft and cuddly U2, we get a very diplomatic U2.

Ouch.......now that was harsh!

But I guess we all have different opinions about POP. Personally I love POP. I hope that this "news" is true because I love remix's!

HelloAngel said:
I love it when people don't submit news directly to me.

No offense HelloAngel, but even though you constantly post this warning, even I would forget if I had news.

I think Elvis needs to put a bigger sign in each forum (especially EYKIW) so that people will remember you and your forum.

Of course, I have to question the need for the "U2 News" forum. It seems a lot of work and other sites (like Prarit's) seem to have an upper hand.

(*slight edit so as to not offend all of HelloAngel's hard work.)

Last edited:
"Remix" isn't the right word ...

I think Edge was just putting it in nice words when he said they are remixing Pop. The better term would be that they are "finishing" Pop. The band has categorically admitted many times that Pop was never finished and they just did it in a hurry because of tour commitments - and it shows. The reviews, the fans, the poor sales, and the poor musical quality when compared to other U2 releases is so evident. Now they are actually "finishing" Pop, so it would be nice to hear what Pop should have really sounded like and not the ripoff they gave us in 1997.

As for Pop being in tracks included in the singles, it only points to one thing - no Pop songs or only few Pop songs will make it to the actualy Best Of compilation, because it would be repetetive to put "finished" Pop songs as b-sides to the singles, and have those same songs in their pitiful unfinished versions in the compilation album. Now if they would make "The Worst Of 1990-2000" that would be filled with so many Pop songs, they'd be better of just saying "buy that unfinished Pop album."

Cheers,

J

jick, that was just a stupid post.

helloangel, i thought you only wanted NEWS? this is clearly marked as a rumor, but as dr. who said, most people wouldnt remember to give you a rumor.

i have been around here for a fair while now and really, this new 'rule' for all news to go to another section is a bit silly. really, its U2 news and this is the forum most people frequent for general U2 related stuff. has been for ages and this change i have to say, a little unecessery.

news about U2 is U2 related, it doesnt really need a comment everytime its posted saying it shouldnt be here. its was really nice to be able to come here and see those U2 news stories along with all the other U2 talk. jumping from one forum to another posting on the various U2 topics depending on what you are wanting to discuss is a pain in the arse.

dont get me wrong, i think some order is needed. pleba, where the album has a name, etc are really great should remain on their own. however, lots of people are more interested in U2 news than anything else, therefore, keeping it in the main forum just makes sense.

does anyone else agree? or am i the only one getting fed up with reading U2 news in here followed by a comment that it should be somewhere else? its almost like this place is now getting too heavily organised.

Last edited:
That's what I've thought all along! So many people are getting upset about them remixing or changing the old albums, but all they were doing was remixing the songs that were going on Best of! Duh! :D It's okay!

Last edited:
kirsten023.jpg

My Mammy?

- z -

NNOOOO! Must keep Miami!

Pop wasn't a great album, but all the songs (except discotheque) came into their own when played live, and I would list almost half of the songs on the album as classics now, after hearing them live.

Mofo - Hot shit live - Adam is pumping all the way through
Staring at the Sun - sweet acoustic song, ever so slightly reminisant of Fake Plastic Trees
Miami - heard a live bootleg, played just before Bullet, it blew me away. Its a shame there isn't a CD quality recording of this song live.
Please - practically orgasmic, every time I've heard it live.
Wake up Dead Man - love the way they played it on Elevation

All of those I consider classics, even though the studio versions were pretty dire.

Gone, Last Night on Earth + If God Would send his Angels all deserve special mention too.

Yeah, Ditch Playboy Mansion, that was the most camp pile of shit I've ever heard from U2, almost on a par with "good old-fashioned lover boy" by queen. I can't listen to Playboy Mansion. They should have put Holy Joe on there, that could have been a great live song.

If they do remix them, I'd imagine they'd just make the songs sound more like they did when they were played live. One song which really needs finishing is Staring at the Sun. That could be a great song if it'd been given enough attention.

I would personally make love to every member of U2 if they could find a CD quality recording of Discotheque/Staring at the Sun like they did on Elevation 2001, and put it on a B-side, because I heard that live twice, and both times it was absolutely fucking lush, and Edge made some great sounds. Much cooler than New Year's Day. New Year's Day, hmm, they've only played that 20000 times. Too bad they didn't play it at Boston.

Pop's a wonderful album which doesn't need any remixing IMHO, unless they are into making extended mixes of some of the tracks or something more likely still which is making surround mixes to release on DVD-A or the new format SACD.

If they are planning to leave out a track, let it be If God Will Send His Angels.

No Way!

scatteroflight said:
How about remixing Pop so that Playboy Mansion is no longer on the album?

Playboy Mansion is a great song! It's one of the reasons Pop is my fav. U2 album.

Re: No Way!

thezoofly said:

Playboy Mansion is a great song! It's one of the reasons Pop is my fav. U2 album.

I can't stand Mofo, but I sort of understand why people love it. Ditto for Discotheque. But Playboy Mansion, to me, is so appallingly bad that it boggles my mind. "If Coke is a mystery, Michael Jackson history, a Big mac bigger than you think." Puh-leeeeaaaaase. And musically, it's just pointless. Boring and pointless. I really think it has become my least favourite U2 song.

However, if you can get past all the abuse I've just hurled at it and resist the urge to flame me big time, maybe you can try explaining to me why you like it even a tiny little bit, let alone a lot??

better remix

Shine * Like* Stars* said:

LMAO! Or Miami!;)

How about a mix of POP with totally new lyrics and melodies? And good riddance of those razzle dazzle techo trip-hop dance jungle disco embelishments that were pointless?

Cheers,

J

Re: better remix

jick said:

How about a mix of POP with totally new lyrics and melodies? And good riddance of those razzle dazzle techo trip-hop dance jungle disco embelishments that were pointless?

Cheers,

J

You just might have something there--though I liked most of the "embellished" tracks better than the simple, straightforward, BAD Playboy Mansion! :barf:

Re: better remix

jick said:

Cheers,

J

I thought that POP had great lyrics, apart from Miami and Playboy Mansion. I understand what Bono tried to do on these songs, but IMO he just can't pull off this clever-clever style convincingly enough and that makes them truly cringeworthy to listen to.

I agree though that some songs are bogged down with pointless studio effects. "If Gods Will Send His Angels" would have fared just fine without those annoying electronic bits in the background that didn't need to be there in the first place. I understand the need for experimentation, but not when it means sticking "hip" sounds everywhere just for the sake of it.

Re: Re: better remix

Saracene said:

I thought that POP had great lyrics, apart from Miami and Playboy Mansion. I understand what Bono tried to do on these songs, but IMO he just can't pull off this clever-clever style convincingly enough and that makes them truly cringeworthy to listen to.

I agree though that some songs are bogged down with pointless studio effects. "If Gods Will Send His Angels" would have fared just fine without those annoying electronic bits in the background that didn't need to be there in the first place. I understand the need for experimentation, but not when it means sticking "hip" sounds everywhere just for the sake of it.

Chewing Bubblegum and an Insect In Your Ear aren't exactly Bono's best lyrical ideas. Or the blone leading the blind cliche? Or how about Mother sucking rock n roll?

If it sucks it must be art. It its art it must be good. So many people have fallen for this.

Cheers,

J

Re: Re: better remix

Saracene said:

I thought that POP had great lyrics, apart from Miami and Playboy Mansion.

Some of the lyrics were good, some were so-so, some were really bad. I think Gone has a great, great lyric, but that's the only song on the album I'd say that about. I do like Gone, though I don't love it. It was the only song off Pop they played at the concert I went to last year--good choice!

Back
Top Bottom