A Different Perspective on the U.S.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
I came across this very interesting editorial from a Canadian newspaper, is worth sharing.

THE UNITED STATES
America: The Good Neighbor

Widespread but only partial news coverage was given recently to a remarkable editorial broadcast from Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian television commentator. What follows is the full text of his trenchant remarks as printed in the Congressional Record.

"This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most generous and possibly the least appreciated people on all the earth.

Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of these countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.

When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.

When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States that hurries in to help. This spring, 59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes. Nobody helped.

The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent, warmongering Americans.

I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplane. Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10? If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the International lines, except Russia, fly American Planes?

Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German technocracy, and you get automobiles. You talk about American technocracy, and you find men on the moon - not once, but several times - and safely home again.

You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everybody to look at. Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets (in Canada), and most of them, unless they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still broke.

I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake.

Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of those."

Stand proud, America!

Thanks for the post. Very well written, and, most importantly, very true.
smile.gif

Melon

------------------
How long must we sing this song?!

I am Canadian. I totally agree with everything in the article. The US never gets the recognition it deserves. Some say they deserved to get bombed because they dont try to be on great terms with every country. This is a country filled with some of the greatest people on earth. I watch the footage and think to myself why?

I'll tell you something when those FF dropped the flag off of the pentagon i was even proud. The US is our twin...well not really but you know what i mean. When i see them succed i am to proud! They started to sing God Save America. I sang along.

No country knows the US like Canada. We live everything the US lives, but we allways have an out as not being part of them. Canada should apoligize for the lax job they do on immigration. We should join our great brothers to the south and help them in every way possible.

God Save America.
God Save the World!

PS. I was pissed when Bush said Mexico is Us's greatest friend...

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

thank you, and thank you bonoman for your sentiments

it's strange, I've always felt, as a U.S. citizen, very close to Canadians, and so do most people I know; I understand Canadians get annoyed at this in what is part ignorance/ part flattery, but it's incredibly good to see something like this, because Americans aren't really this greedy, heartless, manipulative bunch of people that is sometimes assumed (and I say "American" and duck because other North & South Americans get offended when we use that term, but what am I supposed to call myself? a United Statan?), anyways, I think the difference between Americans and Canadians is people in America like to point out the similarities between us, while Canadians like to remind us that there are some differences... which is a good thing, but let me remind you that you don't hear many Americans saying how similar the United States is to France or Germany or Russia or wherever... and when you take into consideration that Americans think very highly of "the American way of life" and culture, and then compare Canadians to Americans, there's a little more to that than some Canadians might realize
smile.gif

What should we do now then ?

I thought America only get into WWII after
the attack of pearl habour. And America where
only on the moon first because they where
in competition whit Russia. ( they had the first man in space )

But there is hope for us , not Americans.
The Nato put the 5th admantment ( sorry )
that means. Every attack against a country
who is in the Nato is the same as a attack
against the whole Nato. That 5th ad...
is in work for the first time in history.

------------------
I can`t change the world but i can
change the world in me.

Read you, Rono.

Gordon Sinclair orginally said these words on June 5, 1973. One can clearly determine this by his discussion of technology (landing on the moon references); however, it is amazing that nearly 30 years later, his words still hold true.

Only once can I recall a nation helping the U.S. in times of tragedy. Shortly after the Gulf War, Kuwait gave money to help the people of Florida after a devastating hurricane. However, I have to wonder - would they have been so magnanimous if the U.S. hadn't stepped in to assist them against Iraq?

When the horrible earthquake hit San Francisco in the late 80's, just as one did in the early 70's, there was no outside help. When many cities were devastated by tornadoes this past spring and all the springs since 1973, I do not recall any country volunteering its services. Yet, I recall numerous times when the U.S. rushed to send financial aid, people and supplies to those countries (like Turkey and Japan) who suffered similar horrible natural disasters.

When there is an international conflict, the U.S. does not shut down its doors. The recent conflict in China is an excellent example. Tensions ran high, but through diplomacy, the issue was resolved. Perhaps the tension still exists, but at least the U.S. didn't resort to war or terrorist attacks, as we see so often in other parts of the world.

When one speaks of technology, Japan, Germany, Russia and the U.S. still lead the charge. However, how many countries have successfully landed computerized robots on Mars to study the landscape? How many have sent probes to deep space to study the moons of other planets? How many have launched powerful telescopes into space to study the beginning of time itself? Closer to home, how many countries deciphered the human genome? Several U.S. companies were able to accomplish this feat, while none did it anywhere else in the world. It seems that most countries are all too happy to "borrow" U.S. technology rather than discover it on their own. Some parts of Asia are better known for copying and cheaply selling U.S. created software than for their invention of new software. Yet how often is the U.S. really credited for their discoveries?

And when it comes to financial success, clearly the U.S. is at the forefront, despite recent downturns. While the computer business may be struggling lately, biotechnology is still fighting a good battle. There are more companies designed for genetic and protein research in the U.S. than any other place in the world.

So while Mr. Sinclair's words were stated so long ago, I am honored to see that they still apply to this day. And I am honored to have the U.S. as part of NATO, to stand strong by such magnificent countries as Canada, the U.K. and France, just to mention a few. These are bonds to be cherished and I hope they will exist throughout my lifetime.

Just a few weeks ago, when I informed a coworker that I was flying to Spain, she told me to dress less like an American so that I wouldn't stand out (as an obvious American). Well now, rather than be embarrassed, I will now stand proud. If the people of Spain immediately recognize me as an American, they will also see a person who is happy and proud to be an American. And just as I will respect their beautiful country, I hope that they will respect mine.

Back
Top Bottom