A Couple Years Later...Bomb is Forgettable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, but you're a Radiohead fan. Which means you could find something musical in the large fart I'll lay 10 minutes after eating steak/potatos/green beans for dinner tonite.

Vertigo is actually one of the few songs that I can listen to every day and NEVER get sick of it. I used to love Miracle Drug and COBL, but now only COBL sticks with me. The album def. sounded a lot better when it came out then it does now.

To compare any other U2 album to AB or JT is unfair too, especially a crappy album like Zooropa.

MrBrau1 said:
yeah, but you're a Radiohead fan. Which means you could find something musical in the large fart I'll lay 10 minutes after eating steak/potatos/green beans for dinner tonite.

:lol:

That is awesome!!!!!!!!

I feel the same way

Marko said:

you may have a point here...
but I'm sad that it still means that they are mediocre :)

In YOUR opinion.

I find nothing all that mediocre in a lot of the songs. "Walk On", "Beautiful Day", "Kite", "Vertigo", and "City of Blinding Lights" are not only endearing, but inspirational and amongst U2's best, IMO. And there are fun songs too, like "Elevation" and "All Because of You". I also enjoy some of the more interesting ideas, like "Yahweh" and "When I Look at the World". And then there's the more experimental side, which I utterly adore, like "Love and Peace or Else" and "Fast Cars".

I can rattle off tons of mediocre songs from U2's "classics", but I don't want to turn this into some banal thread about what songs are better than others. However, my point is, what some of you view as the "Holy Grail", others find uninspiring and very mediocre. And therefore, the reverse is also true. I do not find these last two albums mediocre by any means. In fact, I rank HTDAAB as my third favorite U2 album!

Marko said:

yeah...it's fun...
no one can change any one's mind so we are driving in circle...all the same posts from the same people (including me)..
we feel safe here :mac:

Completly right.
Every thread like about this subject turns into a walk where everybody goes round in circles and no one can convince anyone with their opinion.

Re: I love great albums

purpleoscar said:

Miracle Drug:

It's also a song that sounds like what Depeche Mode wish they could sound like now.

WHAT THE BLOODY HELL? I can't believe I missed that.

Why does Depeche Mode wish they can sound like "Miracle Drug"?What about Miracle Drug sounds like Depeche Mode? Has Depeche Mode ever sounded like U2? Better question, has U2 ever sounded like Depeche Mode? Yes, they have. "Love and Peace Or Else" is very reminiscient of DM's "Personal Jesus".

Come on, don't insult Depeche Mode like that! Their most recent big hit "Precious" puts "Miracle Drug" to shame. That's how you construct an emotional song. You do it subtly and with class. You have respect for your audience. "Miracle Drug" operates on a Talk Show level, with cue cards for the audience, dictating us when to react, clap and cry.

Sorry, back to my original question. Why does Depeche Mode wish they could sound the way U2 does in "Miracle Drug"?

carrotflowers said:

who mentioned their tour? I agree, U2 are an amazing live act because they have such a strong back catalogue and one of the greatest performer/singer of the past 30 years but that doesn't give them a licence to release sub-par studio albums does it. Don't believe the hype, only believe what you know to be true and in this case, the truth is as follows - U2 have one of the best live acts around and probably are the greatest band in history (yes I am a massive fan believe it or not) but their last album was pretty much garbage. End of story.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you wanted it to be exciting when you go to a U2 show now. It's frickin wicked the whole show.

When you hear COBL live you will appreciate that it's one of U2's best ever songs live.. SYCMIOYO is amazing Live and Yahweh accoustic is brilliant.. not to mention Vertigo and LAPOE

LuvandPeace1980 said:

About the same for me too.. although if boy was remastered I might have a change in the rankings

Remastered or not, BOY's dated production will always crush The Bomb's "shitty, in-your-face, overloaded with crap, with some extra crap on the side" style.

ozeeko said:

Remastered or not, BOY's dated production will always crush The Bomb's "shitty, in-your-face, overloaded with crap, with some extra crap on the side" style.

Yeah just like your shitty in your face post :)

I was not comparing the two

I was simply making a comment about Boy.. as it's slowly creeping up. We all know it's old.. if it was made 10 years ago it would easily have been my favourite album.

Last edited:
LuvandPeace1980 said:

Yeah just like your shitty in your face post :)

I was not comparing the two

I was simply making a comment about Boy.. as it's slowly creeping up. We all know it's old.. if it was made 10 years ago it would easily have been my favourite album.

What difference does it make if BOY was made 10 years ago or 20? You either like something or you don't.

ozeeko said:

What difference does it make if BOY was made 10 years ago or 20? You either like something or you don't.

Don't be so fucking finicky!

I never said I didn't like it, I just know I would like it more if the quality was of a higher grade.

it's like a 112 KBPS MP3 as opposed to a 320KBs MP3.. I will always take the higher quality.

Hey I'd like a remastered version of BOY myself. I just don't see how it would all of a sudden make it a better album..musically speaking. For instance...I think ATYCLB's sound walks all over WAR's trebly ear-shattering mess of a production. However, I prefer WAR to ATYCLB in terms of songwriting and overall musical quality. That's what I'm getting at here.

Well for you you might not see that, but I like great quality.. and I hate muffled sounds.

Thats just me and I wasn't speaking for you on any part :wink:

Does sound quality come first before the actual songs tho? Cuz I heard Justin Timberlake's new album...and I must say I was blown away.

I'm just trying to understand your POV. You said BOY would move up the ranks on ure personal list if it got a facelift. I'm just curious how it ranks now, and what album would it climb over when/if it gets remastered.

ozeeko said:
Does sound quality come first before the actual songs tho? Cuz I heard Justin Timberlake's new album...and I must say I was blown away.

The songs on Boy are brilliant.. but I hear Electic Co. on the CD and I think it could have been better in both quality and output from the band.

It's a song which they have grown into a monster.. it's still brilliant on the CD however the cd quality which can be forgiven for the time is not ideal for me.

If I had to make choices about what was the best album, production quality comes into.

The songs on HTDAAB are brilliant and so is the production. Thats why it's number 3 for me.

:drool:

Not to interrupt the discussion, but if I may say one thing about production. ATYCLB. Brian Eno. Daniel Lanois. If only they got their hands on Bomb. It would have gone off in their hands!

Bomb is pretty much neck and neck with Pop for me in the "Worst Produced U2 Album" race. Actually I think it wins. Pop's production is just flawed, not fucked.

LuvandPeace1980 said:

The songs on Boy are brilliant.. but I hear Electic Co. on the CD and I think it could have been better in both quality and output from the band.

It's a song which they have grown into a monster.. it's still brilliant on the CD however the cd quality which can be forgiven for the time is not ideal for me.

If I had to make choices about what was the best album, production quality comes into.

The songs on HTDAAB are brilliant and so is the production. Thats why it's number 3 for me.

I guess we just look at music differently. Me, I'm all about songwriting and album flow, musicianship and originality. The audio production comes into play later after all those other factors have been taken into consideration. As I've said b4, I think ATYCLB's production is way superior to WAR, yet I prefer the latter cuz of the music. 'Na mean??

ozeeko said:

I guess we just look at music differently. Me, I'm all about songwriting and album flow, musicianship and originality. The audio production comes into play later after all those other factors have been taken into consideration. As I've said b4, I think ATYCLB's production is way superior to WAR, yet I prefer the latter cuz of the music. 'Na mean??

Oh I totally agree, I think ATYCLB has great production but terrible arrangements, hence why POP is my second favourite, the production is not great on it, but the arrangements are. But the songs are brilliant for me.

But when i have to rank top 4 thats generally how I weigh it up if need be..

Last edited:
Get all your frustrations out folks....and as a side note Depeche Modes 2 latest albums have been some of the worst output from a otherwise great band.

carrotflowers said:
I don't know how you can sit back and listen to this album and feel provoked in anyway about the tragedies going on in the world today. I don't know how you can listen to it without feeling cheap because let's face it, you are accepting average material from a band you have spent probably about 400 to 500 dollars on in the past. They are treating their fans like fools when they release crap like this, they basically think they're are so good and their fan-base is so loyal that they can release anything and we'll all swallow it. I refuse to swallow it, I don't care what the hell Bono is doing for the world, if it's so great then leave U2 and become a politician. Don't release sub-par material and pretend you're so sincere about the whole thing. Mediocrity is terrible when it's marketed as sincerity.

Bono does a lot for the world and that is great, but U2 no longer speak to this generation. I don't go to a concert and think 'yeah!, let's save the world with Bono!' I think 'Yeah, play some of your old stuff when you actually gave a toss about what you sounded like!'.

Bono fails to realise that the only reason he is in a position of power is because U2 were so great, now he is selling himself and his fans short. The more MOR and safe their music becomes, the more of a joke Bono becomes. Wether that's right or wrong it's true and it's just how the public work. Once the band goes down, everyone in the band goes down with it and any campaign or fight is damaged beyond recovery because it has been shrouded in a cloak of mediocrity and ageing rock stars still clutching at former glory which has long since left them.

Wow! What a great post! :drool:

Sadly, the post will serve no purpose because people, you can never change the way they feel...

Yahweh said:
Get all your frustrations out folks....and as a side note Depeche Modes 2 latest albums have been some of the worst output from a otherwise great band.

They were lacking, I'll admit to that. EXCITER and ATYCLB are both on par with eachother, being good and just that. However, PLAYING THE ANGEL totally gangrapes THE BOMB. May there be no confusion there.

I'm still waiting for the dude who said the Mode "wishes they could sound like U2 on 'Miracle Drug'" to show his face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom