A Couple Years Later...Bomb is Forgettable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This album means so many different things to so many people, the lyrics of this album came out of someones personal feelings, heart and soul, its almost like saying what the writter felt was stupid.:huh:

:wave: Hi Marko!

I will say this: it's so hard to rank their last 4 albums. That may still change...

I dunno, HTDAAB is almost always the CD in my car.

And am I the only one who loves A Man and a Woman?

topplehatU2 said:
I dunno, HTDAAB is almost always the CD in my car.

And am I the only one who loves A Man and a Woman?

I love it too:drool:

Love the falstetto's

U2girl said:

I will say this: it's so hard to rank their last 4 albums. That may still change...

i love that song too! i thought it would have been a hit , had it been released as a single.

the album also comes second after "achtung baby"

U2girl said:

my Maja, you have buit up your post count since I was active here couple of years ago...
good for you...or..? :)
hope you are good...

It is a fantastic and well produced album. Lyrically it is all over the place, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Sometime deep and simple lyrics are a small interpretation away from each other.

Bono involved with his own projects, his father's death, change of
producers and what ever else was going on within the band. I'm
surprised they got the album out. The Bomb is not shit just good.

The other projects need to be handed over to someone they can
trust. u2 in thurn should just focus all thier energy in being a band
and just that.

I love great albums

How to dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

I like it as U2's second best album. They are older but are making better music than any other band out there.

Vertigo: I like this song because it shows the world we live in, (and probably always did), in which everything we want we have to give up something in return. The more we want the more we have to give up including our dignity and soul. Having to much of an appetite for things can be a downfall.

Miracle Drug: This was one of my favorites that I liked right away. When I learned that it was about Bono's friend and his improvement with new medicine and that he was able to communicate what was going on his head and the doctors didn't believe anything was going on upstairs. He did a poetry book even. The point of view of the song is from the mother/caretaker and that hits the emotional tone for me. It's also a song that sounds like what Depeche Mode wish they could sound like now. I guess it helps to have The Edge in your band:drool:

Sometimes you can't make it on your own: This is a great song about Bono's relationship to his father and when I think of loosing my father and how that WILL happen farther in the future (hopefully much farther), I can't help but be choked up. I have a good relationship with him though but I have friends who don't and can relate. The music and guitar here is just spot on.

Love and Peace or Else: This is trying to compare Bono's anxious relationship to his father with current political strife. I'm a conservative and so I'm used to trite political attitudes with ALL bands who try to pretend they are deep, but I have to admit that the song sounds good and the drums bass and guitar show a variation that I enjoy and that U2 can actually sound quite different in their sound from the past.

City of Blinding Lights: As you can see only U2 fans know the inside story of songs compared to the average person out there so I can imagine what they are and I like to listen to music that way much more. Eg. Knowing that Love is Blindness is not about love relationships but Irish terrorists made the song much more interesting to me. (Also Edge's guitar solo on ZOO TV live in Sydney). COBL gave me chills up my spine. I picture what Bono said on how after Sep 11th, 2001 and U2 was the first big act to show up and how people were laughing or crying when the lights turned on for Where the Streets have no name and how Bono could see the reaction he was getting with the songs. It also includes references to his wife and even her clothing line that most average fans wouldn't even know about. The bass guitar and chorus are beautiful.

All because of you: This religious song is so good it's probably the song I listen to most. The funny thing is that I'm not a religious person but I can get emotionally touched by what Bono does with his references and how he looks at spirtuality. This song gives me sweaty palms, which is really the only band that does that to me this often. This song is an example of how you can make a great song that is short.

A Man and a Woman: I love this song. It does in a funny way sound like classic George Michael, but the reference of his first meeting with Ali passes the sweaty palms test by a mile. To me I love this song as much as Spanish Eyes, and In a Little While. Those songs illustrate to me the secret to a good marriage. "If you want to be loved, then love." - Hecaton of Rhodes. Things don't happen on their own YOU have to create romance and meaning. When I find the one I want to be with for the rest of my life I will not take it for granted.

Crumbs from your table: This is a good song that sounds a lot like old Radiohead. I don't think Bono's attitude about Africa is really going to solve the world's problems so easily. The song at least shows how lucky we are and how we shouldn't take for granted our wealth and freedom. Some people feel embarrassed about their poverty and anxiety. They also feel helpless and wish for help right away not later. Some people in this world are wondering if they will survive one more day.

One Step Closer: This song is another reminder of how bad things can actually get and yet if you have faith you can see that there maybe something better after this life is over no matter how bad things are. Everyday we are getting closer to the answer.

Original of the Species: This is as good as any good Beatles song and is pretty much inspired by them. This song can get me emotional as well. I love Bono's laugh during the height of the song. You can tell Bono knows he hit it out of the park.

Yahweh: It's not a great song live from what I could tell from the Chicago DVD, but does have enough melody to end the album on a quiet note. When I get tired of hearing the hit singles from U2 albums I like songs like this, which they have on almost all U2 records, that are more contemplative and meditative.

I will probably stop listening to this album as much as now when a new album comes out, but that is always the case. Then later I'll return to it after not listening to it for a while and it'll sound fresh like All that you can't leave behind does now for me.

When U2 stops making music there will be a black hole in rock 'n roll. I hope other bands can fill the gap, because U2 isn't cool, they are warm and that's not easy to pull off.

You, my dear sir, are delusional. Let's take apart this tripe you've written piece by piece.

wolfwill23 said:
The first time I saw U2 was ZooTV in Las Vegas, 1992. I did not like U2 at the time and went to see Public Enemy. But when U2 took the stage, they blew me away. The next day I bought Achtung.

Good for you. What does this have to do with anything?

Then came Zooropa and Pop and U2 started to doubt themselves. Now, they're putting out dentist office music that rivals the Goo Goo Dolls.

You're dissing Zooropa and Pop in a veiled manner, so this whole paragraph is ruined. I barely got to the dentist office part.

As for Bomb, it stinks really. The only truly good song (a song that you'll listen to in 10 years and just go, wow-like almost ALL of Achtung) is City of Blinding Lights. That song is close to Streets and is brilliant.

There's about 8 or 9 great songs on this record, not one, but at least you've gotten the best song right, so you're not that far off. Well, actually, yeah you are.

However, the rest of the album is weak (at best), containing whiny songs that are easily forgettable.

Less whiny than Achtung Baby? You are mad, sir.

1. Vertigo-Fun song, but c'mon, this song will not stand the test of time.

WRONG. It will stand the test of time because U2 will be playing it for years to come. Oh, and it's fun. NEXT!

2. Miracle Drug-A whiny, annoying tune. I have started to cringe when listning to it.

Slightly whiny, yes, but less so than SIAMYCGOO? I doubt it. Fantastic guitar solo and explosive bridge.

3. SYCMIOYO-The tune and lyrics (including title) feel clunky and forced. The only thing saving this one is the opera and the subject matter.

Your opinion here actually sort of makes sense. Good for you.

4. LAPOE-So so song. Edge sounds cool but other than that, it's just kind of lame. Even stinks in concert.

...But then you write the stupidest thing I've ever read. A) you use the worst adjectives humanly possible. B) you're plain wrong. C) You diss LAPOE live. Owned.

5. COBL-Amazing song. This song is a timeless classic. Wow.

Yep. :wink:

6. ABOY-'A love song to The Who?' Pu-lease! The song is cheesy and a weak attempt at a rock song.

This is a weak attempt at a Bomb critique. What's your point?

7. AMAAW-Now we're getting into the painful part of the record. I'd rather listen to Paris Hilton's new single than this turd. What the hell were they thinking?

:corn:

8. Crumbs-Oh my gosh, this is the worst ever. Talk about whiny! Yes, Africa needs help. But don't bother me with that in your music! And if you do, at least make a good song! It hurts me that this song made the final cut.

Why does everyone get upset that this is about Africa? He doesn't even use the word Africa anywhere in the song! They recorded it when they were drunk, and I wish they'd do that more often. :lol:

(Especially when Mercy didn't!)

Yep. x2
9. OSC-Forgettable atmospheric tune.

Yawn.
10. OOTS-Great song. Not quite on par with COBL, but a great tune.

You bash AMAAW and ABOY but kiss this songs a**? Worst song of the album BY FAR. :tsk:

11. Yaweh-Yawn.

So says I.

I know they're getting older, but it's a shame to sit down and realize that this band doesn't have a lot of gas left in the tank. I hope with the new album they go off and try some new things. I don't think records should be left-overs from other albums but rather an cohesive experience from start to finish.

They've got plenty left in the tank, and I think this album proves that sufficiently.

Thanks for the good tunes U2 and I hope the next one is something memorable. Best of luck.

I hope you learn how to write soon. Best of luck, and thanks for the crappy critique.

Yeah, Vertigo's about as forgettable as I Will Follow, Out Of Control, and The Electric Co. ....... :eyebrow:

Re: Re: A Couple Years Later...Bomb is Forgettable

LemonMelon said:
I hope you learn how to write soon. Best of luck, and thanks for the crappy critique.

Despite strongly disagreeing with the original post, that has to be one of the most immature replies ever.

Marko said:

my Maja, you have buit up your post count since I was active here couple of years ago...
good for you...or..? :)
hope you are good...

All is well :yes: . Hopefully everything is allright in your life too?

Yes, too much time spent here :D

I'm sorry that you feel that Bomb is forgettable. I thought it was a great album with many great songs. I still listen to it on a regular basis. Is it the Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby? No. But, nothing ever will. It's also very important to remember that opinions are like assholes. Everyone's got one!

MrPryck2U said:
I'm sorry that you feel that Bomb is forgettable. I thought it was a great album with many great songs. I still listen to it on a regular basis. Is it the Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby? No. But, nothing ever will. It's also very important to remember that opinions are like assholes. Everyone's got one!

Don't be so negative...
after R&H people were saying that nothing will ever match JT, and than came AB...
so there is still hope that they can make a masterpice again

wolfwill23 said:

4. LAPOE-So so song. Edge sounds cool but other than that, it's just kind of lame. Even stinks in concert.

:no: I can understand where you are coming from with some of the other songs, but not this one! Love and peace or else was the song I waited all concert for. It rocked live! And it rocks on the album, exactly how I hope the new album will sound!

Re: Re: A Couple Years Later...Bomb is Forgettable

LemonMelon said:
You, my dear sir, are delusional. Let's take apart this tripe you've written piece by piece.

This is a weak attempt at a Bomb critique. What's your point?

So just cos you disagree with him means he can't write???

lol.

Re: Re: Re: A Couple Years Later...Bomb is Forgettable

Zootlesque said:

So just cos you disagree with him means he can't write???

lol.

No, it just wasn't a very well written review at all. :shrug: I don't really care what his opinion is, I just thought the piece was poor. Sorry. :huh:

bsp77 said:

Despite strongly disagreeing with the original post, that has to be one of the most immature replies ever.

Immaturity went out the window when he wrote this:

Edge sounds cool? WTF???? :lol: He can do better than that.

I guess I should have just agreed with him or kept my mouth shut. :tsk:

Re: Re: Re: Re: A Couple Years Later...Bomb is Forgettable

LemonMelon said:

Immaturity went out the window when he wrote this:

Edge sounds cool? WTF???? :lol: He can do better than that.

I guess I should have just agreed with him or kept my mouth shut. :tsk:

If those are realy the only options than you shold have kept your mouth shut :madspit:

I love this album because I discovered songs that I really like later, for example, when I first heard Yahweh I didn't like the song at all, but now it has really grown on me. U2 albums don't stick to you like most pop music does. Most U2 albums are growers, and they are better in the long run for it.

Swan269 said:
I love this album because I discovered songs that I really like later, for example, when I first heard Yahweh I didn't like the song at all, but now it has really grown on me. U2 albums don't stick to you like most pop music does. Most U2 albums are growers, and they are better in the long run for it.

yeah, great for you (no irony, I'm honest)
but I feel the oposite with last two albums - every song cought me on the first listen, but than it became boring very soon...
I experienced what you are describing with former albums and I agree here - it's great when something grows on you in the long run....
it was just not the case for me with HTDAAb or ATYCLB :(

Marko said:

yeah, great for you (no irony, I'm honest)
but I feel the oposite with last two albums - every song cought me on the first listen, but than it became boring very soon...
I experienced what you are describing with former albums and I agree here - it's great when something grows on you in the long run....
it was just not the case for me with HTDAAb or ATYCLB :(

I felt that way with ATYCLB...not so far with HTDAAB however, and I've listened to it much more.

bsp77 said:

:yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom