A black U2??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tonyhotland

The Fly
Since the boys are indeed working with Rick Rubin, who has also been associated with some rnb or even hiphop artists by producing their records, have you ever thought of U2 mixing it wih some hiphop or rap flavor??? lol.....

even if not, might be interesting to conceive them playing with some rnb or rap or hiphop stars (what do they actually call this kind of music anyway? psshhh :huh: )

sorry, just got this when i was listening to linkinpark/jay-z collabo. bad morning, I know :sad:

Black music, that's it. that's what they call it!!
A black U2?

you never know, perhaps in australia, we'll see a u2/kanye west collboration with kanye west on vertigo

Have you checked the lemar version of vertigo or should i say 'vertingo'?

i know!

as much as I love u2, i don't see why they allow their works of art to be ruined by musicians from a different genre,,,,

its like asking alex ferguson to pick the chelsea line up....

tony,

hi, we met outside abbey road nearly 2 weeks ago and i took your picture outside waterstones after the book signing.

are you gonna be heading to australia for the shows ? let me know.

habib

habib_hussain2@hotmail.com

Bono has always been open about his spiritual and musical debt to African Americans.

He shared snippets of West's "Jesus Walks" onstage late last year, and he has even said that rap might influence the next record.

Punk, which was born around the time of hip-hop, shares a lot of similarities with rap, and I think that if the Rubin collaboration holds water all the way to another record, then these influences will be strong on the new record.

Anu

Has history taught us that any influences the band integrate come out sounds like "U2"? Electroica, punk rock from venus etc. I'm all for them experiementing but it usually comes out more like a change in the packaging rather than the substance. That said some packaging ends up looking better than others....

Oh of course, since every artist associated with Rick Rubin makes black music.

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Johnny Cash
Neil Diamond
Audioslave
Tool
Weezer
The Beastie Boys

the list goes on...

Supposedly, many of the vibes in AB were inspired by R&B. Think MW, even One. The story is that the band used to hitchhike a lot for fun on the JT tour. I think the story (which I believe is in Flanagan's book) goes that Bono & Edge were riding in a car with a random guy who had been blasting hiphop on his stero system. It knocked their socks off. Then the guy realized who they were, put a U2 tape in, and Bono and Edge were floored at how much their sound paled in comparison on this car's giant speaker system.

I would luurve to see U2 work with Dr. Dre or Snoop Doggy Dogg!!!! That would be so freakin' cool. Hahahahahahha...../..;.

or how about the guys who make that rap song on the confessionals...also cool.

wasnt da guy U2 worked with on EAA black? :huh:

Introducing straight outta Dublin ghetto: B-Man, G-String, The Instrument and Hitman - U to the 2.

Howie B is Scottish but certainly has some afro-caribbean blood.
Well, Chris Martin is perfrorming with Jay-Z, the biggest star is nip hop history right now, so why not Bono?

a u2/beyonce colloboration on crazy love,,,u2 returning the favour to the hip hop/r*b community by covering this, in my humble opnion, a top top top tune!

11733%20new.jpg

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

black music, eh? so by that you're implying that u2 has always been "white music?"

funny... i always just considered it all to be, well, simply music.

now don't be cynical.
black music as in rap/hiphop thingy.. you know..
that type of music :ohmy:
nothing racial

Hey if we're talking black music, gospel pwns rap/hiphop so bllalalalala to you :|

tonyhotland said:

now don't be cynical.
black music as in rap/hiphop thingy.. you know..
that type of music :ohmy:
nothing racial

when the title to the thrad is "a black u2???" it's tough not to be cynical.

if you want to be technical... whitey stole rock and roll from african-american's, so u2's been playing "black music" for decades.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

let us never speak of that, or it's accompanying bono in a top hat video,
1.jpg
ever again :mad:

I like that freakin' song, even though I sometimes think I'm the only one who does. :reject:

On a semi-related note, I saw a guy walking down the sidewalk in a top hat the other day. I so wanted to be his friend.

Back
Top Bottom