911 and ATYCLB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtomicLemon

War Child
911 is what pushed the CD and music back up the charts. People were looking for something bigger than themsleves, some hope, some faith. And ATYCLB was the perfect antecdote.

You know how it's almost scary how they didn't know 911 would happen, yet the album really fits in the time period of post 911. Even the tour, with its basic set up and spirit lifting nature, seems to have been divinely inspired to deal with post 911 trauma.

After America got caught up in itself (Pop)(I love it though), it was brought back to its knees and roots...amazing

Check out the lyrics to Please....they could easily have been writen post 9/11 and not in 1997.

So love is hard and love is tough
But love is not what you're thinking of
September, streets capsizing
Spilling over, down the drain
Shards of glass, splinters like rain
But you could only feel your own pain
October, talk getting nowhere
November, December
Remember, are we just starting again

I agree with that to some extend but I think the reason why ATYCLB did as well as it did is 'cause not only 911 but if you listen to the lyrics, there is something there for anyone who is looking for any sort of hope to hold onto something.

I agree with please. Hearing it again the week after 911, I immediately got the 'shivers'

Some songs are still actual. Bullet The Blue Sky ...hearing this I think about America's foreign politics....

Bullet, Please, Beautiful Day, New York, Walk On, and Peace on Earth are just a few of the songs that took on a new meaning after 9-11. Some of the lyrical imagery is so close to the things that have happened, it just gives me that chill up my spine sometimes.

That's U2 though.

AJ

I've always felt this way. That's why I fell so in love with ATYCLB.
It hold's such a special meaning for me. I don't listen to it as much as the other's but it's always there - for the comfort I need. :heart:

I agree with the last poster. ATYCLB took on a special meaning for me after September 11th and this is one of the reasons I love it so much. It was my comfort music. I'll never forget the Elevation concert I saw after September 11th, either. It is true that everyone needed something to hold onto and comfort them at that time, and that whole arena felt it, and U2 delivered.

I do believe ATYCLB was meant for us.

Even the "If God Will Send His Angels," music video had firemen in it. If you were a non-U2 fan and saw that video, you would have had no idea that it was shot in 1997, rather than post 9/11.

A couple of years ago my local NBC affiliate did a montage of 9/11 with the U2 song "Peace on Earth," kinda of cool.

FullonEdge2 said:
You know how it's almost scary how they didn't know 911 would happen, yet the album really fits in the time period of post 911. Even the tour, with its basic set up and spirit lifting nature, seems to have been divinely inspired to deal with post 911 trauma.

Agreed... the album is creepily prophetic, really, with songs like Stuck in a Moment, Walk On, New York, and Peace on Earth. Then you've got Kite and Bono's dad, In A Little While and Joey Ramone... ATYCLB touched so many people in some way, it seems. Plus, everyone has their own personal associations with it - I know I do. I'm surprised really at the number of people on the forum that dislike ATYCLB - to me this was the album that put U2 on top again, and then lifted us up with them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom