80's tours (JT/Lowetown) vs 90's tours (Zootv/Popmart) - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2002, 10:25 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GypsyHeartgirl

You're probably just the type who's impressed by all the flashy color lights. I look deeper than that. Elevation is my favorite, followed by UF, JT, and War. ZOOTV was very cool too. Popmart was inferior in every possible way.
I don't think it was the lights and all that that impressed me about Popmart. It was the ENERGY! Yeah, they had energy with Elevation too and I loved it, but Popmart was incredible. One of the best experiences of my life, if not THE best.

Old 07-02-2002, 04:36 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie

I can see where that would definitely make sense. I mean, you would figure that the longer they do it, the better they get, right?

Yes, I think so. I saw U2 for the first time in 1986 (Amnesty tour). The '80's shows were more about raw energy and passion and they were absolutely fantastic, but the '90's tours were more creative and sophisticated. I like to think of Elevation as a mix between the two. It was both raw and passionate and creative all at the same time. I liked the simpler stage set, too. The heart was a brilliant idea. It was the best, IMO.

Old 07-02-2002, 05:15 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GypsyHeartgirl

You're probably just the type who's impressed by all the flashy color lights. I look deeper than that. Elevation is my favorite, followed by UF, JT, and War. ZOOTV was very cool too. Popmart was inferior in every possible way.

Actually that was the idea of Popmart- to put out flashy color lights to distract people from what they were really saying and doing.
Old 07-02-2002, 05:19 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Oh and I vote for 90's.

Mainly because of the technology they captured and exploited and the revolutionary way they broke the mold in stadium shows.

The way they used the stage and lights props and accessories to conceal or reveal the meaning of their songs. I will agree the songs allowed more for this, as Macphisto would not be caught dead singing some of the more uplifting JT or etheral UF songs.

Good point to Dr. Who though about the bond they were able to form with the audience in the 80s... I would carry this one step further and give them props since they were able to keep that bond there in the 90s despite being in stadiums.
Old 07-02-2002, 05:51 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by scatteroflight

I know they're only human, but a lot of people seem to think they are at least half divine a lot of the time. And many other bands who have not toured in a long time have gone out and managed to perform very well from the start. I felt that at least to begin with, more emphasis was put on the visuals and technology of Popmart than on the music. And I just wanted to point that out so that everyone wouldn't unanimously decide that the 90's tours were way superior to the 80's tours. I guess I just feel sometimes like there is a major bias in favour of 90's U2 against 80's U2 on this board.

But I still really love U2. Honest.

I've read articles where U2 themselves said highly critical things about Popmart, the timing screw-up and how it shouldn't have happened, and Edge said "no excuses, we screwed up" and stuff like that. Don't think that the band themselves aren't capable of criticizing themselves. They are. They are perfectionists and don't like it when they screw up. But being human they are going to do it. Some people don't want them to be human, I guess. But they are. When you're a world-famous megastar your screw-ups are magnified. You're falling on your face in front of everyone and their brother. Fortunately they are able to move on after even massive screw-ups, make the necessary changes and just get on with it.
Old 07-02-2002, 05:59 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Reading the notes brings back more memories....it's hard to decide between the '80's and '90's. The '80's shows had more intimacy than the '90's ones did. The '90's were very creative but also a bit more distant. Even Bono said he sort of felt like they'd "lost the audience" during PopMart. They were more accomplished as musicians in the '90's but possibly more compelling in terms of stage presence in the '80's. It's apples and oranges if you ask me. Which do you prefer?
Old 07-02-2002, 06:23 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

hmmm...I guess it's hard for me to say about lack of intimacy with the audience in the 90s....With Popmart, I was REALLY close, so it was intimate enough for me!
Old 07-03-2002, 12:29 AM   #28
you are what you is

Local Time: 01:45 PM
Quote:
I guess I just feel sometimes like there is a major bias in favour of 90's U2 against 80's U2 on this board.
exactly
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-03-2002, 12:44 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

I think there's a preference for '90's U2 over '80's U2 also. I don't know that I'd particularly call it a "bias". I got into U2 in the '80's because of the excitement and energy and passion, and could not imagine them playing shows with a bunch of props and stuff! Then they had to change a few things to stay out of oblivion, and viola, we got ZooTV. Lights, action, camera........it was terrific but I didn't feel as close to the band as I did during the Amnesty and JT tours. By the same token, AB became my favorite U2 album; it had the best songs, and they'd definitely improved as musicians. So, I like both and have a tough time deciding which decade really was "better" in a definite sense. One minute I think it's the '80's and the next minute I think it was the '90's, and heck, none of them matched Elevation. That was close to perfect.
Old 07-03-2002, 12:42 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Which do you prefer?
Me?

I don't know, only recently was i given the opportunity to hear shows from JT/Lovetown/Zoo tv/Popmart/Elevation shows - and even though i listen to JT/Lovetown and Elevation shows most, it's hard to say:
it's amazing how Bono tears the roof down with his voice in the 80's tours, and all the energy from the band,

it's fascinating how the band sounded in the 90's,

but there's an atmposphere in the Elevation tour that i don't think they ever managed to achieve before. I guess i'd pick Elevation if i had to.
Old 07-03-2002, 08:08 PM   #31
Refugee

wink

Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm

Actually that was the idea of Popmart- to put out flashy color lights to distract people from what they were really saying and doing.
You mean they had a giant lemon and olive on a stick to distract from the fact that Bono was bald, Edge looked like a pimp, and Adam was dressed as a worker in a nuclear power plant?

I'm so sorry. I just had to. Please don't hate me?
Old 07-03-2002, 08:16 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

You mean they had a giant lemon and olive on a stick to distract from the fact that Bono was bald, Edge looked like a pimp, and Adam was dressed as a worker in a nuclear power plant?

exactly....
Old 07-05-2002, 02:12 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Hey, Bono was only bald for a small portion of the tour. He wasn't bald when I saw him in June or when I saw him in October.

Popmart kicks ass, and that's all there is to it!
Old 07-05-2002, 03:04 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

I actually can't comment on PopMart at all, only ZooTV. They played Atlanta on Thanksgiving eve of 1997 and I was stuck at home cooking.