80's Bloody Sunday or Bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roy

Refugee
I've recently watched both the Live Aid and Rattle & Hum DVDs. IMO Sunday Bloody Sunday blows the Live Aid version of Bad away, much more unique and emotional. Any thoughts?

roy said:
I've recently watched both the Live Aid and Rattle & Hum DVDs. IMO Sunday Bloody Sunday blows the Live Aid version of Bad away, much more unique and emotional. Any thoughts?

Which version of Sunday Bloody Sunday and which version of Bad? :uhoh: :confused:

Bad Live Aid 1985 blow away Bad Rattle & Hum.
Sunday Bloody Sunday Rattle & Hum blow away Sunday Bloody Sunday Live Aid 1985

:yes:

Peace :wave:

Well, I've never been fond of the entire U2 Live Aid performance, to be honest. I think it's highly overrated....there are much better versions of Bad and SBS out there.

Re: Re: 80's Bloody Sunday or Bad?

ponkine said:

Which version of Sunday Bloody Sunday and which version of Bad? :uhoh: :confused:

Bad Live Aid 1985 blow away Bad Rattle & Hum.
Sunday Bloody Sunday Rattle & Hum blow away Sunday Bloody Sunday Live Aid 1985

:yes:

I'm refering to the R&H version of Sunday Bloody Sunday, compared to the Live Aid version of Bad.

u2granny said:
Anything on RH blows Live Aid away.

Agreed. Live Aid was great, but the performances of the two songs you mention are far and away better on Rattle and Hum. Especially Bad.

I don't think it's actual musical aspect of Bad that most people remember from Live Aid. It's all about the circumstances in which it was played, the emotion of it, plus Bono's interaction with the crowd (jumping off the stage to dance with a girl, conducting a little audience sing-along, etc.)

Weird fans here :eyebrow: most of U2 fans out there ( including me ) think Bad from Live Aid was the very best ever ( Note I´ve listen more than 300 versions from UF to Elevation Tour ). Bono´s voice was at his best during "Wade Awake" part. I agree Sunday Bloody Sunday wasn´t their best - Larry´s singing during the chorus wasn´t a good idea - , but Bad was something out of body, including "Walk On The Wild Side", "Satellite Of Love", "Ruby Tuesday" and "Simpathy For The Devil". 13 minutes long :drool:

ponkine said:
Weird fans here :eyebrow: most of U2 fans out there ( including me ) think Bad from Live Aid was the very best ever (

So where are all these invisible fan that always agree with you that we never see??? :eyebrow:

I enjoy both versions, but i think that Bad should have been shorter, because i dislike jumping in the attendance, yeah it's emotional, great and all but it's too much pussylike and he kissing those females...
Best moment of Live aid was Simpathy for the Devil/Ruby tuesday when he said: "Bonnie came from Miami,Fl, hitchhiked all across the Usa, she could hear the satellite coming down, pretty soon she was i London town, Wembley stadium and all the people there said dudududdududu...."

Yeah, Bono added the lines from Lou Reed's "Walk On The Wildside" to Bad from Live Aid too, thus stretching the song out more.

"We're an Irish band...we come from Dublin City, Ireland...like all cities...it has its good, it has its bad....this is a song called Bad."

Love the intro at Live Aid.

BAD - Live Aid - best vocal performance ever by Bono ; the band - simply spectacular. R and H is good but doesn't carry the emotion that BAD had. SBS is a good song, but not in the class of BAD live or studio.

So where are all these invisible fan that always agree with you that we never see???

The lurkers support him in email!

(sorry ... obscure internet reference)

I never cared for the Live Aid version of SBS, if only because Bono sounds kind of sloppy. When he introduces it, he says, "Shunday Bloody Shunday!"

On the Electrical Storm single, the Bad/40/Streets combo also bugs me for that reason. Through most of the song, Bono sings it as "Shtreets."

What's with the Sean Connery impersonation, Bono?

ImOuttaControl said:
Well, I've never been fond of the entire U2 Live Aid performance, to be honest. I think it's highly overrated....there are much better versions of Bad and SBS out there.
Wow! I can't believe somebody had the nerve to actually post that, since badmouthing the Live Aid performance is considered nothing short of blasphemy by some fans.

I'm so impressed by your bravery that I'm going to step up and admit that I agree with you. I was already a U2 fan in 1985 and had seen them in concert earlier that year. I was looking forward to seeing them on the world stage at Live Aid, but I was kind of disappointed by their performance. Coming in cold like that and playing two songs that normally came mid-concert, they just didn't seem to have the energy they usually did live. Plus, they seemed nervous and Bono was trying way too hard with grabbing the cameraman and then leaping into the audience. So, from a fan's perspective, I didn't think it was that great of a performance.

But, considering that among the so-called highlight acts of the day were lightweights like Phil Collins and Hall & Oates, even a slightly off U2 was going to be extremely impressive, especially to people who had never seen them play live before. They definitely gained a lot of new fans that day. So, while I think that Live Aid may not have been one of their best performances, it was certainly one of their most, if not the most, important performance.

Getting back to the original question - both SBS and Bad were performed better in R & H, but the Live Aid performances were more important to the band's history and legacy.

Last edited:
Strictly by song, as in the album versions, Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Bad from Live Aid, had a much different vibe to Sunday Bloody Sunday from Rattle and Hum, considering there was an actual bombing that day from Rattle and Hum. It should be more emotional I think.

corianderstem said:

I never cared for the Live Aid version of SBS, if only because Bono sounds kind of sloppy. When he introduces it, he says, "Shunday Bloody Shunday!"

On the Electrical Storm single, the Bad/40/Streets combo also bugs me for that reason. Through most of the song, Bono sings it as "Shtreets."

What's with the Sean Connery impersonation, Bono?

In Irish Gaelic, "S" is pronounced "Sh" just like Sean, it's pronounced "Shawn", which is why some people spell it that way, so there's not mistake in how to say it. Scottish Gaelic I think, also has the "S" as an "Sh" sound.

Just an FYI. Can't imagine it wouldn't pop up in his speaking, even if it isn't spoken that much in the part of Ireland Bono's from.

Roland of Gilead said:
Bad - Live Aid gave U2 their immortality. It is a 13 minute birth of "Rock Gods" status.

I would disagree there. It's "The Joshua Tree" that gave U2 their immortality. If the band would have faded away after Live Aid/TUF era without releasing TJT, people would not be saying that is an immortal performance. People would be more like "U who???" Didn't they sing that song about Bloody Sunday?

I'm going against the popular opinion here and gonna stick to my guns that U2s performance at Live Aid is way overrated. It was U2 so it sounds good...but not great. There are MUCH better performances of boths songs out there(I especially think the Live Aid SBS was actually pretty aweful). The one thing I won't disagree with is that it exposed U2 to a huge new audience thanks to it being broadcast on T.V.

In Irish Gaelic, "S" is pronounced "Sh" just like Sean, it's pronounced "Shawn", which is why some people spell it that way, so there's not mistake in how to say it. Scottish Gaelic I think, also has the "S" as an "Sh" sound.

Huh, I didn't know that! I'm still going to say that Bono wasn't doing the "sh" sound on purpose, or else I bet we'd hear it a lot more often.

corianderstem said:

:lmao: Yes! On another board I moderate we have a few people who just love to bitch and whine about everything and they always have "lots of others who agree with me but are afraid to post" (and of course these people stay in contact with the whiner by email). WTF?? How on earth can you be afraid to post your complaints on an internet bulletin board? What's the worst that can happen?

But it's always good for a laugh. :wink:

Last edited:
Yay! Indra got my joke! :lol:

I have to say that I think there are other, better versions of both SBS and Bad out there.

Live Aid was incredible, but a lot of it is visual. if you're just listening to the audio and have no idea what Bono's doing, it's just meandering, and too long, and ... well, kind of sloppy.

:reject:

Back
Top Bottom