6 Best Super Bowl Halftime Performances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man, that U2 performance was so great. After a rough patch in the late 90's, it was great to see back on top of the world.

I am really looking forward to Tom Petty tonight. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are my 2nd favorite band behind U2. While the 2 couldn't be more different from each other, Petty and the boys are a great live band.

Yes, Bono and Co were pretty damn good...America owes them BIG TIME...

No Doubt and Sting were pretty good a few years back as well...

This year was sooooo boring (And yes, I do like Tom Petty, I just didn't like the show)

OrARoundabout said:

No Doubt and Sting were pretty good a few years back as well...

This year was sooooo boring (And yes, I do like Tom Petty, I just didn't like the show)

yeah this year's halftime show did pretty much nothing for me....but that stage looked awfully familiar :eyebrow:

You can't beat the emotion of the U2 show. It was perfect for what the country was going through. I'm not too proud to admit that I got emotional.

Val said:
hmm I really liked Tom Petty last night.

hmm, I watched his performance on youtube. It's simply beautiful. Wish, that Petty & The Heartbreakers might find a way to tour Europe in the future. He's one of the great, great American singer&songwriters, having maintained his credibility as an artist ...

Petty and company put on a good show, but there was just no energy in their performance.

Prince's should be nowhere near this list. And yes we're all biased but U2's is legendary, not only was it a great performance, but it was so emotionally stirring.

I felt bad for my dad during the U2 halftime show...we were watching it at church and he was stuck sitting next to this old lady who talks and talks and talks and talks and :blahblah: you get the picture.

When U2 started performing he kept saying to her "I really want to hear this." :blahblah: "I really want to see this performance" :blahblah: "This is my daughter's favorite band..." :blahblah: :banghead:

Found this on another site:

Thought I'd post a few quotes from various news sources that happened to mention Prince. It's probably worth noting that I didn't find a single "great" review of last night's show. A few sources went so far as to say that Petty was lip-synching, but that's neither here nor there. Enjoy these. I tried to get sources on all of them. Post more of you can find them.

“But the one true winner was ‘Free Fallin.’ It was inappropriate, too slow for such a raucous event. But being a classic song, the audience stayed with the band, they sang along. It was magical. As magical as Prince? I won't dignify that question with an answer.”

“Petty and the Heartbreakers are way too seasoned a group of pros to not hold their own in a quick sprint like the halftime show. That said, Sunday's show didn't deliver the excitement of last year's rain-drenched set from Prince.”

-Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

“There are thousands of online sports forums and blogs debating the ‘Greatest Halftime Ever’ — almost all of them debate whether that honor goes to U2 in '02 or Prince in '07.”

-Southcoasttoday.com

“He’s no Mick Jagger and the Boys (two years ago) or even Prince (last year) but Tom Petty rocked out the Super Bowl halftime show rather nicely.”

-Edmonton Sun

“Tom Petty wasn't as controversial as Janet Jackson or as passionate as Prince.”

-Detroit Free Press

“If anything, the performance reminded viewers that Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers really have had quite a few top-40 hits. Each song drew cheers of recognition from the crowd, which was subdued compared to last year's audience in Miami, which cheered Prince in the pouring rain during his performance of ‘Purple Rain.”

-globeandmail.com

“But these kinds of spectacles cannot just be written off. I can't help but think of last year's event, when Prince gave a largely entertaining set in the rain. Watching the game at a local bar, it soon became evident that more than a quarter of the crowd in the bar was there solely for Prince. They showed no interest in the first half of the game and cleared out as soon as Prince's mini-set of medleys came to a close.”

-Los Angeles Times

OrARoundabout said:

What exactly does America owe them for? It would be an honor for any band to play at a SB 1/2 time show.

That said, u2's performance is far and above the best SB performance i have ever seen. Even my friends who aren't really into the band would agree.

Lol, thank you everyone for bringing up the familiarity of the stage- yours truly was about to start a thread about this!! Anyways seeing the stage was strike 1 for Petty(even though I consider myself somewhat of a fan) I thought already trying to copy U2. Then the song selection strike 2, strike 3, no passion whatsoever, seemed like he went through the motions. I'm as biased as anyone, but there should be no legitimate debate to be had between U2 and Prince, no comparison whatsoever to how U2 captured America at the time w/ such an unbelievable show. And ABC gave people less songs then Fox, fox gives 4 songs to halftime performers, U2 got 3, and knocked it out of the park, completely on their own terms. So many super bowl performers get their songs picked for them by the league or the network(stones)- for U2-- networks would have picked BD, Elevation and Walk on for the 9/11 memorial! U2 completely went on their own terms and chose BD, MLK, Streets. It was the first time I had ever even heard that song(fan since elevation tour) and they had me hooked right there. No halftime show has ever or will ever match U2! That being said, Sting and No Doubt was very good. Here's one vote for the reunited Police doing the Super Bowl next year! They're my 2nd favorite band.

u2 invented everything

Rob33 said:

yeah this year's halftime show did pretty much nothing for me....but that stage looked awfully familiar :eyebrow:

:hmm: yes it did..

Tom-Petty-2_215.gif

it looked just like the logo that tom petty and the heartbreakers have been using since the 70s.

:hi5:

Last edited:
well stage aside, the performance was lackluster...there will never be a more meaningful halftime performance than U2's....there just won't be...U2 were in the right place at the right time and were the perfect band to rise up to the occasion...no other band could have hit home the way U2 did

Rob33 said:
there will never be a more meaningful halftime performance than U2's....there just won't be

Oh really? How exactly do you know this? Have you seen the future?

I hope U2 payed some sort of tribute to Petty :no: Stealing the idea like that.

Back
Top Bottom