55th Week - Chart News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

voxson

The Fly
In the UK charts ATYCLB drops 12 places down to #69. It seems weird that there is a drop this week since the album was in a rise and we probably thought it was because of Walk On getting radio airplay. Anyway, we'll get to know more about that next week with Walk On's debut at the charts since it's released in Europe on Monday.

Andy

Here is week 54/55! The link to the French charts is not up at this time so no info for the French album chart this week. Here are the countries where ATYCLB is still charting.

United Kingdom #69
Australia #39
Denmark #93
Netherlands #66
France ?
Canada #37
United States #67

For the first time in over a year on chart, ATYCLB drops out of the Irish Top 30 album chart. I estimate total global sales this week to be 43,500 copies worldwide. This brings ATYCLB worldwide total to 10,463,500!

Sting2: how can you be sure about the toal sales of ATYCLB? i think 10.5m is really too much:ATYCLB has been certified only triple platinum in Us and Europe...i don't think ATYCLB has sold 3.5-4m copies in the rest of the world

Well,
The above is an estimate, but it is based on confirmed sales in the USA followed by estimates based on chart positions of sales in other countries. I just recently found out my estimates for the UK were correct. I take the actual sales in the USA for a given chart position and match it up with a chart position on the country I'm estimating sales for. I then adjust the sales figure based on the population of the country vs the USA. Its worked for the United Kingdom.
Second, I take confirmed sales from Paul McGuinness to check on sales. 8.7 million at the beginning of June 2001, over 9 million in mid August.
U2 hit 3 million in sales in Europe in December of LAST YEAR! Although they are not certified 4 million sales in Europe yet, I know that they are or are very close. U2 has sold 400,000 copies in the United Kingdom alone since the 3 million certified mark in Europe last December.
So 4 million in Europe. 3.1 million in the USA. 500,000 in Canada. 500,000 in Japan, Australia, New Zealand. 1.5 million in Central and South America estimate. Over 600,000 copies sold in Brazil confirmed as of last spring. Over 500,000 copies sold elsewhere estimate. That puts the figure at over 10 million.
Nearly every jounralistic article printed lately says the album is over 10 million. McGuinness confirmed they were over 9 million back in August. Its three months later.
Of course these are estimates, but I don't think my estimate is off by more than 500,000 copies, plus or minus.

I hope I am right to, but I'm very puzzled as to why ATYCLB has not been certified 4 million yet in Europe. After it hit 3 million last December, it spent nearly another 4 months in the European top 10. It has continued to sell well this year there. Sometimes record companies put off certification, but this is strange.
So my figures are an estimate, and I may be off by more the .5 million but I think within 1 million at least. I might be right on the money to. Some of U2s big markets in places like BRAZIL and MEXICO, sales are not completely known. I did see 600,000 for Brazil last spring, but the rest of South and Central America is a guess. Other unknowns include main land Asia, Africa, much of the Pacific and Japan. But when your as well known as U2, your likely to get sales in all these regions.

Hello,

Even though the Dutch album charts aren't updated yet, I want to share the following information.

This weekend I was thinking that U2's new single Walk On (release date: 19 November)would not debut very high on the charts. And my thoughts were true
frown.gif

On this weeks chart Walk On debuts at #31, making it the lowest debut of all the ATYCLB singles. But it does have a lot of potential. Because those of you who are wondering about debuting already when it has a release date of 19 November have to know the following.
Apparently, the single was already available on Friday. So from Friday on it has sold enough copies to enter the charts (which is based on a weighted average of the last 2 weeks of sales). Even better, with their (relatively low) #31 position Walk On is still the highest debut in the charts!
eek.gif

This behaviour is not uncommon for U2 releases. Last year, ATYCLB also entered the charts a week early as it was already being sold on Friday. In those few days it sold more copies than Limp Bizkit making it a #1 debut!
smile.gif

In short, the Netherlands love U2!

C ya!

Marty (who's wondering how the album did last week)

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Well, looking at hitsdailydouble, it could be the end of ATYCLB from at least the top 75 or 80 on Billboard.

There are 13 new releases in the top 50, add to that several Holiday Cd's moving up the chart and it makes for a painful week all around

Even if U2 had a sales increase, which they most likely did since sales are up across the board, they will still probably drop significantly on the chart. Here are a few examples.

nsync - increased 1% from last week and still dropped 15 places!! Barbara Streisand's Christmas album gained 11% and still dropped 4 spots. Diana Krall increased 24% and only moved up 1 spot!!
It's really bad for the people who decreased significantly in sales like Faith Evans and George Straight, both decreased about 50% and they both dropped at least 30 spots. YIKES!

Britney decreases 56% and is at number 2, Garth sells pretty poorly and sits at number 1 with 472,000 (This is the guy that sold almost a million in one day of his last album). Radiohead only manages a #40 debut.

Remember these aren't billboard's official numbers so we wait until Thursday or Friday to get those.

The good part is that U2 is probably still selling quited well. The number 15 album sold almost 110,000 copies. The number 50 album is at over 43,000. That is almost 10,000 more copies than just last week. Next weeks numbers will be HUGE!

[This message has been edited by womanfish (edited 11-20-2001).]

Hello,

Last week was a kind of a strange week for U2 on the charts. I won't reveal much now as it can be better explained in the appropriate section. So, here are the results for ATYCLB in its 55th week, courtesy of the Mega Top 100 (http://web.planet.nl/music/charts/megatop100/).
In a way it is satisfying to be able to report about ATYCLB more than a year after its release. On the other hand, the news isn't that good at the moment. This week ATYCLB reached a new low as it dropped from #66 to #69. Nevertheless, you have to put this in perspective. There are five new debuts above U2 this week. And there are also only 3 albums with more chart weeks above ATYCLB (one of which is also a U2 record as will be reported below). Hopefully the release of Walk On this week can help the album perform better.
The total run of ATYCLB so far is:
1-1-1-1-1-3-3-3-6-7
6-5-7-6-6-6-5-6-1-2
8-12-16-25-30-36-38-40-45-48
49-43-39-39-45-42-36-27-15-7
6-6-14-25-29-39-37-43-55-47
38-65-60-66-69
(all information prior to week 40 with many thanks to Flying Padre Jr.)

As I said above, there is another U2 album charting higher than ATYCLB. Just like the past few weeks this is The Best Of 1980-1990. Unfortunately, this album also drops on the charts, sliding from #37 to #45. Nevertheless, there are only 2 albums on the charts which have 100+ chart weeks.
The Best Of 1980-1990's (4th?) chart run is:
86-46-37-45

The #1 album in the Netherlands this week is (again) Andrea Bocelli with Cieli Di Toscana. It rises from #3 to #1 while last weeks #1 (Invicible) drops to #3. Furthermore, Britney is still not in the top 10!
biggrin.gif
Her album does rise from #16 to #11 but it's thankfully not an instant success. The beginning of the end of teen pop? Who knows, the Backstreet Boys have also fallen out of the top 10, dropping to #12 with their Greatest Hits. On the other hand, Westlife enters the top 10 and also Belgian child-pop trio K3 has a high top 10 debut with their new album of child songs (but nothing a 10+ year old would like). There are no NSUCK albums on the charts. Andrea Bocelli does not have a single on the charts.

This week U2 have a new single in the charts! Walk On debuts at #31, making it the lowest debut of an ATYCLB single. But this position deserves a big asterisk. As stated in numerous press releases and other music news sources the official release date of Walk On in Europe was November 19. Nevertheless, some shops began selling the single on Friday November 16. Those last few days of the week were enough to make the single debut on the charts. What's more, even though Walk On is the lowest debut for a U2 single in years, it's still the highest debut this week!
smile.gif
As U2 have had their first 2 #1 singles with singles from this album I don't think the record company is that pissed off that the single was sold earlier as expected (and thus did not perform that outstanding). Hopefully the second week sales will be as strong as they were the first few days since Friday.

However, sad is the news that Elevation could not reach a chart run of 20 weeks. This week the single has fallen off the chart. Thankfully it has been replaced by another U2 single, continuing U2's presence on the charts. Here is Elevation's total run on the charts:
11-7-13-17-1-2-3-11-17-17
23-31-36-43-53-55-62-70-76-out

The charity single What's Going On? is turning out not to be a huge hit. This week the single stalls on #26. Although it can still rise next week the prospects do not look good.
What's Going On?'s run on the charts is:
61-26-26

For a second week Dutch 'supergroup' De Poema's have the #1 single in the Netherlands. They do not longer face the competion of Kylie Minogue, but danger is looming. J-Ho is #2 with her I'm (Faking To Be) Real.
The rest of the teenybopper-front has mostly good. Britney's I'm A (SM) Slave For You is definatelty on the way down as she falls to #20. As she was #13 last week it means that that position (13) is truly unlucky for teenyboppers.
tongue.gif
Although the BSB do not have a very big hit with their Drowning, the song does have some stability. The single rises to #14 this week, the same position it was 2 weeks ago.
BTW, since De Poema's are a one-off project (actually two-off at the moment) they don't have an album.

C ya!

Marty

------------------

Originally posted by womanfish:
Radiohead only manages a #40 debut.

40 isnt really that bad, especially for this time of year...I wouldnt expect much from a Live EP...I love radiohead...I bought amnesiac the day it came out, but I even considered waiting a couple weeks or so before buying the Live EP...its not that big of a deal...

aaron

Hello,

I just saw the new Billboard charts. It's not looking good
frown.gif
ATYCLB drops 13 places to #80. Nooo!!!!
The What's Going On? EP drops even further as it goes down from #45 to #84. OK, so there are 16 debuts above these albums, but still... Is there then nothing positive to tell?

Well, even though it still hasn't cracked the top 50 of the Hot 100 yet Stuck rises on the Adult Top 40 chart. With an increase in airplay the song rises from #12 to #9, it's highest position yet.
smile.gif
It's a small comfort, but at least it is some comfort.

------------------

In the Billboard Hot 100:

Stuck In A Moment remains at #54 but loses its increased airplay background. Let's see if that was it for stuck in the charts or if it still has some way to go. A few weeks ago I thought the song was done from the charts but still it increased a few places. Let's see what will happen this time. What amazes me, though, is how stable this song has been remaining around the positions of the 50's for quite some time, nto dropping, not going higher either...

Andy

Back
Top Bottom