5 U2 Shows you would like to have been to

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man2002

Blue Crack Addict
Mine, in no particular order.

August 28th 93 - Dublin
November 27th 93 - Sydney
April 24th 97 - Vegas PopMart
September 27th 97 - Sarajevo (need i say more)
August 21st 2001 - London : the emotion of the concert would be overwelming, how bono was able to do a show, the day his father died....i have no idea

post yours.

Mine:

- 15 October 1980, Amsterdam (U2's first actual concert on the European continent)
- 10 January 1990, Rotterdam (final concert of the 'old' U2)
- 27 September 1997, Sarajevo (obvious)
- 5 December 2000, New York (small club! :hyper: )
- 25 August 2001, Slane (large field! :hyper: )

More than five for me!

Boy NY (last show of the American leg) (Bono: "Well, this is the last show of the tour. Afterwards, we're all going for a swim" :wink: )
War Red Rocks
New Year's Day 1990 Dublin (at the Point Depot)
Every Zoo TV show
Popmart Sarajevo
Popmart Santiago
Elevation Slane 1

And all the shows they played in Belgium :wink: I only saw Elevation Antwerp 1

In chronological order;

1. 5 June 1983, Red Rocks
2. 31 August 1984, Wellington
3. 22 April 1987, Los Angeles (I'd die to hear that performance of WOWY in person)
4. 9 January 1990, Rotterdam
5. 23 September 1997, Sarajevo

Besides 1 and 5, those change by the day. Red Rocks and Sarajevo are the two best gigs ever played.

In this order (not chronologically but how badly i would have wanted to go):

1)December 31, 1989: New Year's Eve Concert
2)August 28, 1993: ZooTV Tour in Dublin (and my mom's birthday :p)
3)June 5, 1983: Red Rocks
4)September 1, 2001: Slane Castle
5)September 23 1997: Sarajevo

I would have loved to have been at:

War - Red Rocks and Bronco Bowl, Dallas, Texas
Live Aid
Joshua Tree - Tempe, Arizona and Tarrant County Convention Center in Fort Worth with BB King
Zoo TV - Any of the outdoor shows
Elevation - Slane, August 25, 2001

#1 Red Rocks since I live 10 minutes from it
#2 Slane in 2001
#3 The new years eve show in 1989 at Dublin
#4 Sarajevo in 1997
#5 The first New York City Elevation show after 9/11 (which I heard was great)

The Brisbane gig of the Unforgettable Fire Tour, played at Brisbane's 'Festival Hall'

The Brisbane 'LoveTown' gig, played at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre- this is probably the one show that I would just love to have seen the most, just to hear the live version of Hawkmoon 269: in my opinion the best re-working of a U2 song, so much better than the original!

The new years eve gig at Dublin in 89

Sydney 'Zoomerang' gig- even though I saw the Brisbane show, it would of been nice to have a video of an actual gig that I went to and to have a recording, because unfortunately the Brisbane show appears to be one of the only shows from the whole ZooTV tour that has no bootleg floating around, well I have never come across one!

Slane castle Elevation gig- it has always been my dream to see U2 do a gig in Ireland- some people go to mecha, my religious pilgrimage one day will be to see the sites of U2's Dublin and hopefully see them play live....

oh and as a sideline I have just remembered another gig, there was some festival that the guys played in the early 80s at Cork Park and Thin Lizzy were also on the bill- that would of been a good show to have seen, as I really like Thin Lizzy

Have been to two of the shows I would like to have attended.

One where I could feel I gave something back to them which was Aug 21st, 2001, when Bono's dad died. Can't describe, powerful.

The second was at their home which was Slane, aug 25th. Amazing, beyond description!

The three others I would have like to be at would be
*Zoo TV Stockholm june -92
*one of the club gigs promo Elevation and last but not least *Sarajevo.

As an extra I would like to have seen a show at the early days, doesn't really matter where.

if i went to rocks hottest ticket, i'd have been hmm, maybe 12 hours old depending on when it started.

5th June 1983 - War Tour, Red Rocks, Denver, CO, USA.
When watching the video, you just want to be there! Unfortunately, my first U2 concert wasn't until 1989 (LoveTown), so I missed out on their early years. It would have been just amazing to experience a show from this period, and Red Rocks would definitely be my pick.

13th July 1985 - Live Aid, London, England.
Not strictly a "U2 concert", of course... but how I would love to have experienced, at first hand, U2's stunning performance of 'Bad', with that massive crowd all singing 'Walk on the Wild Side" in unison.

4th November 1989 - LoveTown, Christchurch, New Zealand.
U2 were huge in New Zealand back in 1989 (thanks to Greg Caroll and One Tree Hill). I managed to get to the Wellington concert a few days later (my first U2 concert - and I wasn't even a U2 fan at the time), but I know a lot of people who went to the LoveTown concerts in NZ, and Christchurch always seems to be the one that gets talked about the most. Even so, the Wellington one was still a great, great show. They certainly caught my attention!

27th November 1993 - Zoo TV, Sydney, Australia.
This is the one concert I would give anything to be able to turn back the clock and be at. Of all the U2 concerts I've been to, watched on video, or listened to, Zoo TV Sydney is my favourite. I'm still kicking myself for not taking the short flight over from New Zealand to see at least one Zoo TV show in Australia. And with Sydney being the closest city to my hometown in NZ, it would have been this show that I would have gone to. Unfortunately, the timing just wasn't quite right for me.

1st September 2001 - Elevation Tour, Slane Castle (second show), Ireland.
I was at Slane #1, but I couldn't afford to stick around in Dublin for another week, and was gutted (at the time) that they chose to film the second show. Happy enough just to have it on DVD now, though.

:)

Last edited:
I was at the only show I'd probably hate myself for never being at which was 27th Nov, 93. I'd go to that very one 5 more times, without a doubt. Forgoing any others as it was just simply the best concert. Ever.
But if I had to, I'd pick any at Wembley, Sarajevo and anywhere else in Europe.

Back
Top Bottom