48HR HTDAAB song RANKING!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snutes1

Acrobat
Now that I've listened to the album about a dozen times, I am going to make my preliminary song ranking. This will probably change in the months and years to come, but as of now

1. COBL-Like someone said in another thread, the "meat and potatoes of the album"

2. Love and Peace or Else-Gritty, crunchy, wonderful

3. Original of the Species-Beautiful

4. Man and a woman-The most even of the songs in terms of its fluidity from beginning to end

5. Vertigo-Still not tired of it, great riffs

6. Crumbs from your table-Takes off right from the start, no subtlety here

7. All because of you-Raucous rocker should fit nice with the tour

8. One step closer- Mark my words, this song will emerge and surprise everyone in the tour. A "running to stand still" progression.

9. Yahweh- Nice closer

10. SYCMIOYO- Still cant get into this, although I like the last half of the song, it rocks

11. Miracle Drug- I am sorry folks, this is the "Grace" of this album.

There you go.

I agree with snutes1 that City of Blinding Lights is the best song on the album. I was at the show in Brooklyn and that song really energized the crowd and got them going. Of course Vertigo was the biggest crowd pleaser, but eveyone knew that song. Very few (except us of course) knew about COBL yet everyone was going crazy. This is going to be a great release and the next Streets.

Miracle Drug = Grace?

Is someone smoking something. HTDAAB is what ATYCLB should have been. After listening to that album, aside from Beautiful Day, ATYCLB really lacked what this album has....depth. If they had kept ATYCLB raw with full on guitars like this album, WOW imagine the sound coming from that album. So sorry friend can't agree there. As for ranking the weakest song if you want to call it that cus its actually quite strong would be for me right now OOTS. Strongest, One Step Closer.

This will change in a few hours.

:wink:

I think my weakest song right now is ABOY, but yeah, again, It's hard putting that song and "weak" in the same sentence, because all of the songs here are really strong..

But IMO, and this is probably my opinion ONLY, but I could have gone with Are You Gonna Wait Forever? in place of ABOY

artdirector said:
Miracle Drug = Grace?

Is someone smoking something. HTDAAB is what ATYCLB should have been. After listening to that album, aside from Beautiful Day, ATYCLB really lacked what this album has....depth. If they had kept ATYCLB raw with full on guitars like this album, WOW imagine the sound coming from that album. So sorry friend can't agree there. As for ranking the weakest song if you want to call it that cus its actually quite strong would be for me right now OOTS. Strongest, One Step Closer.

This will change in a few hours.

:wink:

I disagree, I loved ATYCLB and I think it's much stronger in parts than HTDAAB, especially in the first half. The reason I think HTDAAB may be a slightly better album is because it's more consistant throughout. Also I think OOTS is the best and OSC is the worst off HTDAAB, hahaha.

While I wouldn't equate MD with grace, I don't agree with others that put it in the "classic" category. It sounds too much like beautiful day in certain stretches.

Several other cuts from the album are much stronger. Yawheh and LAPOE are outstanding, as are ABOY, COBL.

So far One Step Closer and AMAAW haven't really clicked for me.

I'm too lazy to write a whole drawn out rating of each song, but ill say this. I've heard the whole album straight through about 50 times now (seriously...straight through) and its still as brilliant as the first time. The difference is it's grown on me more. One of their best works.

I hate comparing U2 songs b/c their all soooo good. But here goes it descending order of my favorites and my lame reasons why:

1 - City of... just an incredible song from start to finish. Anthemic with big guitars and soaring vocals. Just feels like a timeless U2 song that comes from another time or another place. Instantly familiar.

2 - Crumbs from... a wonderful song with a lot of heart and meaning. A few shades shy of City

3- Miracle Drug... not the most original song, but it gets you in the heart the first time you hear it and just stays in your head. Could be incredible live

4- Original... where in the world did this come from. I can't compare it to anything else they've ever done, its so unique. Beautiful vocal.

5- YAHWEH just so clever. Such a heavy title that hints at a ponderous dark song and turns out to be a happy ending
6-ABOY... wicked little tune. Not one of the big songs, but one of the ones ya love to turn up and melt into

7- One Step Closer... i understand why this one isn't grabbing a lot of people, but i really like it. Something about it just gets to me

8-Sometimes... feels a little like Stuck In A moment part II, but a solid song

9-Love and Peace... almost a classic. agreat song that just doesn't feel like it quite comes to bloom

10- Vertigo this song just feels too much like Discotheque 2004 for me. Plus those itunes adds are wearing me out

11-A Man... I don't get it. One of the weaker tracks they've ever included on an album.

Im not going to bother explaining my rankings, I will after a week or so.

1. Miracle Drug
2. A Man and A Woman
3. Crumbs
4. COBL
5. Original
6. One Step Closer - Everything you say to me, BRINGS ME ONE STEP CLOSER TO THE EDGE AND IM ABOUT TO BREAK!
7. Sometimes - Stuck Pt II
8. ABOY
9. Vertigo - Would be higher, but its getting overkilled
10. Love and Peace
11. Yahweh

An addition to my earlier list, I would have had Fast Cars around the middle (6 or 7) if I was ranking the 12 track version.

1. City of Blinding Lights
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
3. Miracle Drug
4. Vertigo
5. All Because of You
A Man and A Woman
7. One Step Closer
8. Yahweh
Love and Peace or Else
10. Original of the Species
11. Crumbs From Your Table

1. City of Blinding Lights
2. Sometimes You Can't...
3. A Man and a Woman
4. Love & Peace or Else
5. Miracle Drug
6. All Because of You
7. Crumbs from Your Table
8. Vertigo
9. Yahweh
10. Original of the Species
11. One Step Closer
12. Fast Cars (actually like Xanax & Wine version better)

SYCMIOYO - 10/10 (nothing like Stuck In A Moment IMO, gives me the feeling of "One" and All I Want Is You"..impassioned genius!)

Love And Peace -10/10 (brilliant, best rock song since The Fly and HMTMKMKM)

Miracle Drug - 9/10 (gotten a lot better with more listens)

Original Of The Species 9/10 (probably their best pure pop song)

All Because Of You - 9/10 (like Love And Peace, one of their finest rock and roll songs)

Vertigo - 8.5 (great, addictive riffs and chorus, refreshing to hear)

One Step Closer - 8 ( definitely a sleeper, one of the centrepieces of the album in terms of mood and lyrics)

Crumbs From Your Table - 8 (solid album track, reminds me of "Gone")

City Of Blinding Lights - 8 (this hasn't grabbed me yet, but its got a brilliant chorus and I love the bridge and piano...its just the verses that aren't clicking yet)

Yahweh - 7.5 (good song, I like the lyrics, but the chorus is letting me down a little right now)

A Man And A Woman - 7.5 (good melodic pop song, but the worst song here...says somehting when a good tune like this is bottom of the list...)

Overall this is the first assessment of the album I've done, and I think its home to some of U2 finest songs ever, and can stand assuredly as the third masterpiece.

Last edited:
As of right now here are my rankings of the songs on this album:

1. Original Of The Species
2. Love And Peace Or Else
3. Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own
4. Miracle Drug
5. City Of Blinding Lights
6. Vertigo
7. Yahweh
8. All Because Of You
9. Crumbs From Your Table
10. A Man and A Woman
11. One Step Closer

But having said that I wouldnt rate any of the tracks less then a 9 out of 10....this is the most consistantly good album U2 have produced since Achtung Baby.

Back
Top Bottom