46664 concert appearence 27th June?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh please, Jamila. No one is harrassing you. We might be getting a little bit sarcastic with you, but that's the extent of it. This is Interference. Sarcasm happens. Vaz's point was a valid one - by simply passing it off as "if you know anything at all about Mandela then you will know that the words he used [...] was the way Nelson talks," you are showing yourself up. Plenty of people - South Africans included - have criticised Mandela for not being vocal enough about Mugabe. We know how he talks, don't use that as an argument. As I said, I personally don't believe it is up to him to be vocal about the situation, but I can certainly understand why people would criticise him for it.

Anyway. I only just saw Bono & The Edge's performance...very nice! :up: Bono's voice sounded great.

Happy 90th, Madiba. :up: I will never forget seeing you on TV for the first time as a free man.

:up:

My father covered that for CBC Television when it happened...he was right there when Mandela was released, and was part of one of the first interviews with him the very next day. I just found it again yesterday online: Barbara Frum: Pioneering Broadcaster | CBC Archives

He did the the sound recording. I'd love to sit down with him and get his exact memories and feelings on paper one day. Personally, I was sobbing while watching Mandela's walk to freedom on my tiny TV in my bedroom...I can only imagine the magnitude of being there.

About last night: Mandela is obviously very frail, and I think it's now up to others to really carry his message forward. He's obviously lacking the energy, and perhaps even the mental stamina to counter the situation in Zimbabwe. Mbeki's the one to point to, as you suggest. Other than that, I just hope that the growing international pressure and the opposition forces in Zimbabwe can somehow overcome a corrupt and cruel regime.

...Great tribute by Bono and Edge. I actually got chills because it seemed so inspired. It was a great reminder of the potential they still have to do something moving.

OH FUCK ME.....that sounded fucking amazing...what the fuck...I just got back from 2 days gone, and that was the best fucking thing that could've met my ears today...what a gift...I am SO PUMPED for this album I can't take it...Bono is back and indeed singing like a fucking bird....holy shit

Wow..wow.. Bono´s voice...:drool: Can´t wait for the next album...:applaud:

I'm not normally one to gush about Bono's voice, but I have to join in - he sounded damn good. :up:

Here's hoping that he's got that voice for the upcoming tour!

I'm not normally one to gush about Bono's voice, but I have to join in - he sounded damn good. :up:

Here's hoping that he's got that voice for the upcoming tour!

:yes:

and yes, I did notice some 80's tone, and some 90's tone :hmm:

:hyper:

That was incredible, apart from Bono's voice sounding fantastic, I could sense a real positive vibe coming from the both of them, a true level of excitement. Things are looking promising.

:up:

My father covered that for CBC Television when it happened...he was right there when Mandela was released, and was part of one of the first interviews with him the very next day. I just found it again yesterday online: Barbara Frum: Pioneering Broadcaster | CBC Archives

He did the the sound recording. I'd love to sit down with him and get his exact memories and feelings on paper one day. Personally, I was sobbing while watching Mandela's walk to freedom on my tiny TV in my bedroom...I can only imagine the magnitude of being there.

That's awesome. If you ever do get the chance to share the memories, don't hesitate to post it. :up:

I liked the "I hope you like the new direction" comment

:lmao:

I think he said the same thing before the Mencap performance where they did Waves of Sorrow and I was thinking that in both cases the performance really highlighted Bono's voice. Maybe the "new direction" they are talking about means the album will really showcase Bono's much improved vocals. I also thought it interesting that he was showing off the falsetto given the little to and fro with that radio show that was talking about how someone in Clannad was saying that Bono couldn't sing "In a Lifetime" anymore and Bono called in to set them straight. Could be the B-man feels he has something to prove?

Dana

I think he said the same thing before the Mencap performance where they did Waves of Sorrow and I was thinking that in both cases the performance really highlighted Bono's voice. Maybe the "new direction" they are talking about means the album will really showcase Bono's much improved vocals. I also thought it interesting that he was showing off the falsetto given the little to and fro with that radio show that was talking about how someone in Clannad was saying that Bono couldn't sing "In a Lifetime" anymore and Bono called in to set them straight. Could be the B-man feels he has something to prove?

Dana

Interesting ideas...well...I think a little competitive edge in Bono is a good thing...hopefully he'll push himself more :up:

Are the lyrics changed or did they use the original lines ?

Yeah, they changed the lyrics around a bit.

The original song is "Happy Birthday" from Stevie Wonder's "Hotter Than July" record released in 1980.

It's one of those great fucking Wonder songs that you can't help but sound happy when you sing it, Stevie has loads of tunes like that.

Yeah, they changed the lyrics around a bit.

The original song is "Happy Birthday" from Stevie Wonder's "Hotter Than July" record released in 1980.

It's one of those great fucking Wonder songs that you can't help but sound happy when you sing it, Stevie has loads of tunes like that.

I recognised the chorus :yes:

Dana

Yes, that was the same comment with those Union Chapel bits. I thought he was just relaxed/rested on that night but it looks like the vocal improvement continues !

Of course, singing 100+ nights on tour is another matter...

I think he said the same thing before the Mencap performance where they did Waves of Sorrow and I was thinking that in both cases the performance really highlighted Bono's voice. Maybe the "new direction" they are talking about means the album will really showcase Bono's much improved vocals.
I do think that continuous improvement of Bono's voice since the end of POPMart will be one of the strongest assets on the new album

I do reckon that the "new direction" comment was more a tongue in cheek remark in the direction of those who seem to be unable to just enjoy & listen to (even 1 minute or whatever of) U2 without fretting about whether this indicates a new musical direction or not
and slam it should the latter be the case

I think we should take the "hope you like our new direction" more serious. If you listen to vocals on the song, the shouting in the chours(the shouting is on the new songs) and the acoustic giutar. Well this song might be a hint of the sound that is on the new album.

This is one of the most happy performence they have done ever :) So much of energy.

Back
Top Bottom