46664 concert appearence 27th June?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Considering the shit storm Amy Whinehouse caused last week its a total scandal she was allowed to perform tonight.

It was a terrible concert. No doubt we will hear all tomorrow about how wonderful it was..

The concert should of been a platform to protest about the farcical elections in Zimbabwe. How can you possibly throw a party when the neighbours of your native country have just been rapped of freedom. Many happy returns Mr Mandela but now isnt the right time to rejoice.

OH FUCK ME.....that sounded fucking amazing...what the fuck...I just got back from 2 days gone, and that was the best fucking thing that could've met my ears today...what a gift...I am SO PUMPED for this album I can't take it...Bono is back and indeed singing like a fucking bird....holy shit

and I actually found this quite humorous also...in the beginning Edge goes "hope you like our new direction" :lol:

and Edge and Bono seemed like they were having a reeaally good time...really cool to watch...it cracked me up :giggle:

Actually if people have been paying attention to the activities to honor Nelson Mandela in London this weekfor his 90th birthday on 18 July, they would know that Mandela used his "birthday party" on Weds night to launch a scathing attack on Robert Mugabe and what is currently happening in Zimbabwe.:ohmy:

Also, today at the concert several musicians, including African musicians, also verbally and openly criticized what is happening in Zimbabwe so I don't know how people can criticize this concert.

The concert was actually a fundraiser for the Nelson Mandela Foundation which does GREAT work in South Africa in HIV/AIDS prevention & treatment.

So the "birthday party" had an altruistic motive.:applaud:

The song that Bono and Edge performed was written by Steve Wonder nearly 25 years ago in honor of Dr. King and to promote the idea of establishing a national holiday in his honor.....The song was a rallying cry for those of us who advocated for the King Holiday.

Bono mentioned how they would like to promote the idea of establishing a holiday to honor Madiba (Nelson Mandela). I would agree.

Bono's voice is in rare form....very beautiful.:cute:

Actually if people have been paying attention to the activities to honor Nelson Mandela in London this weekfor his 90th birthday on 18 July, they would know that Mandela used his "birthday party" on Weds night to launch a scathing attack on Robert Mugabe and what is currently happening in Zimbabwe.:ohmy:

the tragic failure of leadership
Homer Simpson has been more vocal.

Scathing attack is a gross exaggeration. Some may claim Mandela didnt go far enough.

And today the millions cry
We eat and drink while tomorrow they die

Homer Simpson has been more vocal.

Scathing attack is a gross exaggeration. Some may claim Mandela didnt go far enough.

Whoever you are, vaz, you have had nothing good to say about this concert and about Mandela - what gives?

The concert wasn't as bad as you claimed it would be and if you know anything at all about Mandela then you will know that the words he used to describe his disgust with Mugabe (he was almost in tears as he said those words) was the way Nelson talks. He is a very diplomatic person.

You complain but you really don't offer any solutions. Is this how you normally are in this forum....just a whiner?

Because if this is just you being you then I can live with that.

I just don't know who you think you are to be telling others how they should run their concerts and what words that they should speak. I'm puzzled about you, vaz. :hmm:

I'm sure that you will enlighten me.:lol:

"Nelson" is it? So nice to know you're on a first name basis with the great man.
Also, you say this: "I just don't know who you think you are to be telling others how they should run their concerts and what words that they should speak." Um, no one in this thread said anything even remotely like that. Are you perhaps intoxicated by your proximity to greatness, and maybe just intoxicated? :lol:

"Nelson" is it? So nice to know you're on a first name basis with the great man.
Also, you say this: "I just don't know who you think you are to be telling others how they should run their concerts and what words that they should speak." Um, no one in this thread said anything even remotely like that. Are you perhaps intoxicated by your proximity to greatness, and maybe just intoxicated, LOL?:lol:

Oh, Jamila's always like this when it comes to any threads that criticise African politicians. I (a South African) posted in one of her FYM threads a few years back and decried Thabo Mbeki's general ineptitude. For god knows what reason, she accused me of defaming the struggle of the Soweto uprising. :hug: She was involved with some anti-apartheid demonstrations back in the 80s, or something, so I guess she feels she can identify with the South African people. Also, she met Desmond Tutu, so that gives her authority when it comes to these things. (I feel like mentioning here that Reverend Nico Smith is my great uncle...see, I can name drop too!)

Anyway, I'm somewhat divided over the whole idea that Mandela should be more vocal about Zimbabwe. The way I see it, the issue is more Mbeki's responsibility. Mandela could do a bit more, I agree...I just don't think he necessarily has to be the one to do it. He has engaged in his fair share of struggles during his long life - he doesn't have to participate in all of them.

Happy 90th, Madiba. :up: I will never forget seeing you on TV for the first time as a free man.

Bono seriously sounded ZooTV-like with the higher end notes...like it was so easy and smooth...no struggle at all, he just soared up there and transitioned perfectly...this is so so encouraging I am so excited

What a happy performence, a performence with humor.

Bono's voice was in great shape, but I know that his voice going to be even stronger on tour and album :) This video was recorded durning the intesive work of the album, you could hear a little tired sound in his voice. Also nice to see that he using the falsetto alot in the song. I love the sound he gets in the word "holidayyyyyyyyyyyy" in the verse "Why has there never been a holiday"

This sounded awesome, but I hope Bono shows off his lower register as well on the new album...it's beautiful.

It's amazing how long people hold grudges around here in Interference which is one reason why I don't come around here anymore. (Yes, that makes me as happy as anyone else here:applaud:)

GibsonGirl, I have lived far too much life in the last few years to worry about what anybody said three years ago! Get over whatever animosity you're holding onto toward me and move on with your life please.

Also, whenever I post something I am followed around by the same group of posters who will then spend their time trying as hard as they can to take a swipe at me - no matter how weak or pathetic that swipe is. :huh:

FYI, biff - I don't drink alcohol so maybe you were inferring a condition from your own life experience?

I don't know, but I'd appreciate you letting the posters to whom I pose questions answer for themselves instead of rushing to try to put me down before the poster can answer the question themself
The mods at this site are well aware of this handful of posters who have continually harassed me at this site and do take "action" against the posters when informed.

Let's all just say that we had our Friday night fight and leave it at that.

Any more harassment of me in this thread when I'm just voicing my opinions will be reported.

Really frickin' sad that you can't have an intelligent discussion at Interference.:sad:

did anyone notice at the end of the happy birthday song Bono and Edge sings to nelson mandela that Bono has a very 80's tone to his voice? (around 2:31 on the song)

Back
Top Bottom