400 plus tracks!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2FAN4LIFE

The Fly
:huh: OK.... Without doing any serious math I calculate about 200 tracks on U2's official album releases including the 2 live EPs, the 2 best ofs (with B-sides)

If you add the 25 "propaganda tracks" we still have about 175 others... what do you think they will be???

Why? I don't get it? As a fan I assume you have all albums already? Why would you pay money for LOSSY tunes? You can easily rip your own cd's into lossy or lossless Itunes format.

Why would you wast any money on that catalogue?

Don't get me wrong. I like the U2 Ipod and I would love to have it, but the catalogue thingy is ridiculous for fans who already have all albums...

You really believe there will be unreleased tracks? Melon, Hasta La Vista, are indeed unreleased but we all have them for a couple of years now.

Last edited:
Soulrock2 said:
Why? I don't get it? As a fan I assume you have all albums already? Why would you pay money for LOSSY tunes? You can easily rip your own cd's into lossy or lossless Itunes format.

Why would you wast any money on that catalogue?

Obviously we don't care about the albums that are part of this, as we all already own them. The exciting part is what makes up of the other tracks. As was mentioned, the albums and Propaganda releases only account for about 225 tracks out of 400. I'm sure there will be a lot of remixes from the singles, but that still leaves plenty of room for tracks we haven't heard before. Basically, there should still be some value to this for even us, the hardcore U2 fans.

Soulrock2 said:
Don't get me wrong. I like the U2 Ipod and I would love to have it, but the catalogue thingy is ridiculous for fans who already have all albums...

:eyebrow: I think you missed the point... this is exciting because there are about 175 tracks that are "unaccounted for"... even though I'm not convinced I want to spend the $$$ on an Ipod the possibility of perhaps getting some out-takes or rare live performances, maybe even some early demos is pretty exciting!:wink:

So people have to buy the whole catalogue to get some unreleased tracks? Hmmmm, somehow I don't think this will be the case.

Besides, part of the Itunes fun is that you can choose single songs of an album instead of buying the whole album. They are even advertizing with that concept on the itunes site.

Again: I LIKE the Ipod!!! This thread is about the U2 catalogue you can buy.

Some people say we get unreleased stuff that even the hardcore fans won't have. I highly doubt that. But, who knows...

No. Not at all.

The point I'm trying to make is this: do you really think U2 would only release unreleased tracks in the Itunes lossy format? That would be, uhmmmm... ridiculous IMO.

So I doubt this catalogue will have exclusive unreleased tracks.

But then again... I could be wrong.

What I'm worried about is that of those remaining 175 tracks or so, a good chunk of them will be remixes. A song like "Discotheque" had some ridiculous number of remixes. Will 10 of those "unknown" tracks be remixes of "Discotheque"? Will another 35 or so be remixes of "Mysterious Ways", "Even Better Than the Real Thing", "Lemon" and "Numb"? All 4 of those songs were also heavily remixed. As a collector, I have the vast majority of those remixes. They are fine and I'm glad I have them. But I don't want to spend a good chunk of $$ on what may only be a few "unreleased" songs.

Hopefully we will be able to download the songs individually from the itunes store. I want the ipod (as I do not already have one), but do not want to pay for all the songs when I already own all the albums and most of the singles. Besides, as I mentioned elsewhere, I can convinve my wife to get me the ipod for Christmas. :wink: Probably not the songs though, she knows I have everything already.

My last comment:

from u2.com - "The Complete U2’, will contain over 400 tracks including all of the band's albums and over 25 rare and unreleased tracks , including material from ‘Hasta La Vista’ and ‘Melon’ - the two CD’s previously only ever made available to subscribers to the official U2 magazine Propaganda."

So if I read this correctly the majority of the rare and unreleased stuff can be found on Melon and Hasta La Vista? That is how I read this sentence.

Last edited:
Melon and Hasta La vista will only account for something like 23 tracks. Unless they put the whole popmart mexico show.

They may put the live songs from the Rattle and Hum film, as well as the Zoo TV and Red Rocks as well, since they've been released in video format.

From what I understand in all the press releases today, with a single click you can download this U2 box set for $150 US. There was no mention that you could download parts of this box set. So, maybe there are 10 to 20 tracks you have never heard before. This will most likely be set up in a manner that you have to purchase the whole thing even though you only want so little of it.

Personally, I'll take it all! :drool:
I am in the market to buy my very first ipod. This is a convenient way to move about with my U2 collection in the palm of my hands. Thats really cool to me.

Speaking of buying..Do you guys think that the special edition i-pod might go lower in price?..I don't have an i-pod but I did win one in a magazine contest and it's being shipped to me as I speak, since I didnt have to pay for it I think I would buy a U2 Ipod for the songs if anything else just to have *cause Im a big fan*but my concern is the $$ So agian you guys think the price might be uped due to the upcoming tour or so you think it might go down a bit?

Don't spend your money until you are sure what you're getting. If you're going on hype and rumor, you are guaranteed to be dissappointed. :wink:

BonoFox1 said:
Speaking of buying..Do you guys think that the special edition i-pod might go lower in price?..I don't have an i-pod but I did win one in a magazine contest and it's being shipped to me as I speak, since I didnt have to pay for it I think I would buy a U2 Ipod for the songs if anything else just to have *cause Im a big fan*but my concern is the $$ So agian you guys think the price might be uped due to the upcoming tour or so you think it might go down a bit?

As I understand, the U2 iPod doesn't come loaded with any songs. You have to purchase/download them separately for $150. If you're getting an iPod for free, it wouldn't make sense to buy a U2 iPod and then buy the digital box set download too. Even with the $50 off that you'd get toward the "box set" if you purchased the U2 iPod...and if you sold the free one you're getting...I'm not sure you'd come out ahead. Do you want the U2 iPod that badly to go through all that hassle...given that it doesn't come pre-loaded with any songs?

I have a sneaking suspicion that the exclusive stuff will be b-sides, remixes and so forth. I know they do have some exclusive stuff on iTunes (like Beautiful Day live from the Slane show) but the rest of their exclusive stuff are things most of us have (tracks from the 7 EP, CD singles, b-sides, etc.) I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to get some new stuff.

atikicat said:

As I understand, the U2 iPod doesn't come loaded with any songs. You have to purchase/download them separately for $150. If you're getting an iPod for free, it wouldn't make sense to buy a U2 iPod and then buy the digital box set download too. Even with the $50 off that you'd get toward the "box set" if you purchased the U2 iPod...and if you sold the free one you're getting...I'm not sure you'd come out ahead. Do you want the U2 iPod that badly to go through all that hassle...given that it doesn't come pre-loaded with any songs?

$350 for the iPod, plus shipping and handling, plus $150 for the tunes, minus $50...that's...a lot of money to be shelling out...does Edge come over and help you set up the iPod and all? If so, since I already have an iPod and probably 98% of the stuff that they're offering, can he come over anyway and hang out?

you can always delete these songs ...right?

I mean you don't have to listen to the Discotheque-Temple Bar Jack Knife Lee Melon Kiwi Banana Midnight on the street corner of a seedy red light district in Turkey-mix do ya?

Remeber those "Exclusive" i-Tunes U2 songs that were just like...acoustic Stuck in a Moment and stuff? Those will probably be on there.

Back
Top Bottom